Recent content by mar5ha11

1. Can I give cattle from my cattle-drive-quest herd to villages? aka be Robin Hood

I went to a guildmaster and he gave me a quest to herd 88 cattle to another city. Instead of doing that, I basically want to give these cattle away to villagers and complete the village elder quests with the cattle given to me  by the guildmaster. I've searched high and low on the intrawebs and...
  2. Is the original better than Warband?

So, after about two hours of multiplayer action, I revise my statement about it: it does not suck. But I will leave it at that, since I see so many problems with it. I would not go so far as to say it is good, or even mediocre. It just doesn't suck.

Regarding the timing issue I mentioned earlier, I may be able to better explain it. I will have an attack cocked and ready to swing. I will release my attack before I see any action from the opponent but he will still be able to cock his attack and execute it, and me, before my attack can finish half of its motion. This either is a lag issue or someone is cheating. Am I wrong?

Also, I will see that I have zero ping when that can't be true. This is because my zero ping is accompanied by all the usual symptoms of a 200+ ping: rubberbanding and things happening out of the what should be the perceived in-game sequence of time. i.e. cutting in front of someone's horse but still stopping in your tracks and having your horse reel back, neighing.

One of my favorite and most frustrating things is lancing. I think that this is the biggest problem due to how fast the player is traveling in the game compared to ping, if that makes sense. I think because the player is traveling fast while on a  horse, things happen earlier than perceived. So, after making a pass at someone and both stopping, the other player turns around and lances once with almost no speed and still manages to kill me. Although it seems like they have no speed, they probably do because they actually were accelerating while I saw them turning around.

In any event, I have given it another try and all I can say is that it doesn't suck.

As for the reviews being different from what I mentioned to begin with, apparently I didn't check the metascore. Perhaps I didn't check enough scores before making that statement.

I will check out that primer. Thank you.

I am satisfied that I have gotten an answer to the original post, that the original Mount & Blade is not better than Warband. Obviously, I have not gotten a lot of responses but this will do.

Thank you.
  3. Is the original better than Warband?

Off to play multiplayer right now, give it a whirl. I will try the original Mount & Blade afterward also.

My ping is usually under 100.
  4. Is the original better than Warband?

"two hand spam is only an issue for people who haven't figured out how incredibly easy it is to counter them"

This is very intriguing. How does one counter two-handed spam? Keep auto-blocking with a weapon?

@Eluqqa: I am basing that the combat system looks cooler solely on videos I have seen. It just looks a lot more fluid and, I guess, kind of movie like.

I am going to try the original Mount & Blade in a few minutes and see if I like it better.
  5. Is the original better than Warband?

killer-blead said:
    mar5ha11 said:
    I think the multiplayer sucks for the most part. Two handed spam and just cheesy exploits ruin the whole thing. Also, lag seems to affect it too much. Although my ping isn't very high, a lot of the time it seems to affect the multiplayer so much that I just get pissed off and it's not enjoyable at all. I don;t play multiplayer ever, don't care about it.
    Your making a lot of judgement here on MP because of the stuff you read. Enough reading play and find it out yourself. Warband multiplayer is a great feature its not all spam and exploit. Never wanted to test your combat skills with another player?

Agreed the singleplayer still needs some bugfixes but it isn't the final stage of warband so a lot could happen. Mount&Blade started out with a few bugs too but now its working perfectly and a lot of nice mods have been made. The same will happen to warband and with all the new features installed in warband the mods will come out even better. You should give it some time.

Buy warband and Play multiplayer for a bit and the Singleplayer then make your opinion. Its worth buying.

You're assuming I don't own Warband? I do own Warband and have played for about 100+ hours now on single player. I have only been able to put about 10 hours into multiplayer because I hate it. I don't know how to explain it other than as I am playing and trying to perform actions, I find that frequently those actions are not performed in the timing at which I physically moved the mouse, clicked a mouse button, or hit a keyboard key.

The only joy I get out of it is when I am riding around on a horse and attacking people who aren't expecting it. Other than that, going one on one with someone, as explained, things don't happen as I think I physically perform the action necessary for the virtual action to take place.

People on foot jumping to the height of the rider on a horse to kill him with a weapon with a reach that is inferior to that of the lance with which the rider is attempting to lance the footman... stupid.

People jumping their horse over and clearing the head of a another rider... stupid.

A person with a two-handed weapon spamming two handed attacks, destroying an opponent's shield in just a handful of hits, and killing him without him even being able to get in a swing of his single handed weapon without being hewn in two by the non-stop barrage of two handed attacks... stupid.

Someone being able to block an attack from a two handed weapon with their one handed weapon... stupid.
    (Mind you, it's a block, not a parry. I guess this is more of a problem with the combat mechanics, not particularly with multiplayer.)

I have played the multiplayer in Warband and it sucks. I would like to see them implement a stamina system or something similar by which swinging recklessly and non stop would be impossible or greatly hindered.
  6. Is the original better than Warband?

I think the multiplayer sucks for the most part. Two handed spam and just cheesy exploits ruin the whole thing. Also, lag seems to affect it too much. Although my ping isn't very high, a lot of the time it seems to affect the multiplayer so much that I just get pissed off and it's not enjoyable at all. I don't play multiplayer ever, don't care about it.
  7. Is the original better than Warband?

It's a pretty simple question really: Is the original Mount & Blade better than Mount & Blade: Warband? The original seems to have gotten better reviews. Also, obviously due to it's having been around for longer, the original seems to have better mods, less bugs, and the combat system looks...
  8. Warband Mod List *OLD*

Firstly, I am not asking anyone to research for me, I am just asking for off-the-top-of-your-head suggestions.

Does anyone know of any *FINISHED* (or even past beta stages) mods for Warbands?

I have played Litus, Pike & Blade, Black Sky, 1257. I did not like 1257 and the rest are not past beta. I am tired of starting new games all the time and having performance problems.

Thank you
  9. Prosperity Messages.... annoying.

BUMP IT!

YES!! YES YES YES!! I absolutely HATE this! You could entirely eliminate this feature and I would be happy. I don't care about my own fiefs either, that's what the weekly budget report is for. Whenever my screen is spammed with prosperity reports, it basically keeps me from reading any menu items, updating any companions' stats, or doing anything involving reading and it makes me want to claw my eyes out with my fingernails.

I HATE THIS FEATURE! MAKE IT STOP!

However, reasonably, it seems like it would be pretty easy to make an option to disable it as is the case with casualty reports in battle.
  10. So many bad and illogical things in Warband.....

@Rad: The best advice I can give you is this:

-don't use top tier troops as garrisons, they are ridiculously expensive.
    -don't worry about your fiefs getting looted. think of them as extra income. I can more than make up for tax inefficiency and loss of income from raided fiefs just by looting enemies' villages. Try putting some companion points into looting. it pays off if you want to make money by looting

Sure, these are a little contrary to reality but if you want to be the warrior king, which is awesomely fun and what it sounds like you're doing, these will help.

Also, it's okay to lose a castle or two. It's just less you have to worry about. Good luck.

@Peter Ebbesen: Your approach to the game is very novel to me and one I would never consider. It's interesting to hear someone else's perspective on a sandbox game like Warbands because it brings up an interesting question (one that you asked yourself earlier in this thread): what do you consider winning? For the most part, I play this game for the mindless action and completely dominating my opponent on the battlefield. I am basically playing a barbarian warlord, shrugging off blows and taking arrows in the chest. I almost entirely ignore the political system that the devs have created.

Have you tried Civilization IV? You may like that game as well. Although, as a diplomat, you'd better be extremely wealthy.
  11. ma men

In one game I played I used TweakMB to keep them all and made Deshavi my skill slave. She had wound treatment, surgery, first aid, engineering, and training at 10. I used Borcha as my guide. He had spotting and path-finding at 10 and tracking at 4. I had 12 companions total, all but borcha and deshavi with plate armor, heavy chargers, steel shields, bastard swords or 1H axes, training skill of about 7, and ironflesh, power draw, and power strike at about 7 also.

Basically, I wanted to see how much of the map I could conquer with one army. Yes, I understand that a lot of the flavor with companions is lost this way but I don't care. I don't like talking to them, they're too whiny.

A handful of times I was caught with just me and my companions by an enemy army of about 70 or so and we slew them every time. The one thing that sucks about this army, though, is that when Borcha or Deshavi are wounded, you're basically crippled. Most of the time this can be solved my placing them at the very bottom of your spawn list but not always.
  12. [S] Pike and Blade 3.5: Riders on the Storm!

Agreed! I was playing native warbands with elite cavalry and I could beat about 300 enemies with about 50 Swadian knights with minimal casualties and without any commands or formations. Now that I am playing your mod, Aeon, and I am using solely infantry, commands and formations are necessary for the survival of my army.

IF (big request, same as the eliminating the automatic charge at the beginning of combats) you could integrate some formations, it would be amazing!
  13. Warband Mod List *OLD*

Is there a mod that will keep companions from leaving your party?

I have read about it being implemented in some mod but I want a mod that only does that.

Also, what about a mod that stops your troops from charging immediately when you enter a battlefield? Again, I've encountered something that stops them in 1257AD but I would like a stand-alone.
  14. [S] Pike and Blade 3.5: Riders on the Storm!

Bravo! What a great mod!

As has been stated, I was getting tired of my elite cav rolling through every battle and only having to fear other elite cav en masse. I love the idea of actually using infantry. In fact, I have ONLY been using infantry and it's a blast.

A few things I have noticed that I would like to see:

-Larger battle maps to allow time to form my troops to get into position (I haven't been playing with your mod for very long and so I haven't had the chance to fight in batles with over 100 troops combined. Maybe with larger battles it'll be different.)

-Right when I enter the combat world about to fight a battle, all of my units charge. I fu***ng HATE that! SO, my suggestion is this: include an option other than "Charge the enemy" in the encounter screen. (The screen with a few options: charge the enemy, order troops to attack without you, leave)

I tried the 1257 AD mod and they had basically accomplished the second suggestion by including some automatic order at the beginning of each combat that told all of the troops to stand ground. So, you still clicked on the "charge the enemy" option but then your guys wouldn't actually charge.

Those are just suggestions, mind you... no complaints about your mod here. None.  :grin:

PS I haven't played many in-game days yet with the mod but as I do, I will try to provide more feedback if you want it.
  15. Word of Advice Thread

89. Marnid is a ***** and will let you down everytime.
Back
Top Bottom