Recent content by Mangoodeye

1. Europe 1200 FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

Is there a list of companions and their relationships?
  2. Poleaxe deadliest of weapons

I just tested it again on Knudarr and Kelredan castles.  In each case I got >60 kills with the poleaxe. 

It's a little bit gamey.  At one point I looked over and the enemy had archers on its towers, but they were only interested in my archers at the foot of the ladder.  At one point the infantry at the top of the walls backed off out of reach of my poleaxe and threw franciscas at me.  Fortunatelly a ladder is the best place to dodge franciscas, one step back and they all go over your head.  After my infantry charged and got ground to pieces the enemy came to the front of the wall where they were easy pickins for the poleaxe.

P.S.  Knudarr was a siege tower assault.  It worked about the same only better because the enemy archers are more poorly placed.
  3. Poleaxe deadliest of weapons

darkweaver said:
    Mangoodeye said:
    standing on the ladder without a shield trying to hack away at people will get you a bolt/arrow/javelin/francisca in the face very very quickly.

My solution to this is order all my archers to stand within francisca range of the walls, the AI uses all its throwing weapons quickly.  Enemy archers are potentially a huge problem for the poleaxer.  That is why I recommend it against Nords in particular.  The attacking force must deliver arrow supremacy against the archers on the walls.  When only guys with shields remain, I go kill all of them with a poleaxe. 

In field battles it is great behind your line, or if you are just outside a dogpile, or to run up to somebody and deliver a lethal first strike the same way you would against peasants with quarterstaves. 

One problem with that - AI ranged weapons get refilled every couple of minutes on siege defenses.  Have you actually tried this? :smile:

Yep on several castles.  I only saw more throwing weapons after enemy reinforcements arrived.  Maybe I was within a range where the AI switches to melee weapons.

My character is mostly a mounted lancer/horse archer.  I tried the poleaxe as an experiment and wow!

4. Poleaxe deadliest of weapons

standing on the ladder without a shield trying to hack away at people will get you a bolt/arrow/javelin/francisca in the face very very quickly.

My solution to this is order all my archers to stand within francisca range of the walls, the AI uses all its throwing weapons quickly.  Enemy archers are potentially a huge problem for the poleaxer.  That is why I recommend it against Nords in particular.  The attacking force must deliver arrow supremacy against the archers on the walls.  When only guys with shields remain, I go kill all of them with a poleaxe. 

In field battles it is great behind your line, or if you are just outside a dogpile, or to run up to somebody and deliver a lethal first strike the same way you would against peasants with quarterstaves.   
  5. Poleaxe deadliest of weapons

Standing on a ladder you can kill the guys on the wall as fast as you can swing the poleaxe.  It is the greatest experience farm in that game that I have discovered.
  6. Poleaxe deadliest of weapons

If you have never tried using a pole axe on foot, you must try it.  This weapon is a one stroke skull opener with unbelievable reach :twisted:  With a poleaxe and a wall full of Nords, you can raise experience faster than anything.
  7. Character concept question to the veterans

Your heavy character has the proficiencies he needs to fight Achilles style.  You could just buy some new equipment and try it.  Be sure to put points into athletic skill to run faster.

Personally I think fighting with a spear on foot sucks, short swords are OK combined with a shield, idk how serious encumbrance is in native.
  8. what's a "Darga(e)" ?

its a high level lancer
  9. Super troops

Tyrant said:
    It's rather hard to force the player into having a balanced army. Why not limit yourself, "houserules" so to speak.

Or why not simply buff lords/monarchs to have much more high tier/elite troops, with fewer mid-low; monarchs ESPECIALLY. I've probably said this multiple times, but I think it's just too easy mid-game.

@Mangoodeye

Go fight the swadians, specifically the Queen with ANY number of Dargas and Keshiks. The first thing she sends out is an armored wall of Paladins, Earls, Knights, Blademasters, and Elite rangers. Tell me when your party of 42 manages a single casualty against the opposing.

Of course, you could fight the Dark Knights for a challenge 10x greater.

So there are double super troops to mop the floor with the super troops, 3x super troops that can mop the floor with them, and so on... :roll: 
    Tactics be damned it all comes down to what troops you have.

I think Native set the ceiling on elite troops about right.  A few royal bodyguards with 110% of regular stats would be fine.  What we have with NE is a fantasy game.
  10. Super troops

I'm going to have to adopt some pretty strong house rules for myself.  I don't like doing that because then I have to stop and think everytime my party is ready for upgrades  :cry: 

I just stopped my game in disgust.  I had a party with 42 troops mostly Dargas and Keshiks, ambushed by a party of deserters with 50 Lancers.  Zero casualties for me.  I didn't even have any wounded.  :roll: 

Is there an easy way to mod NE back to Native troops and equipment?  I like all the features of NE, but not the unit balancing. 
  11. Super troops

First let me say thanks to the people who developed all the awesome new units in NE. In my opinion, the elite troops are too powerful and it takes some of the fun out of the game.  For example, the Ivory Sentenials can shoot practically the entire length of the map and start dropping targets...
  12. New game -> upped the difficulty.. halp

Does anybody play with permanent wounding on?  -2 attribute every time you fall. 

OUCH :oops:

NE is hard.  It's hard for me, I fall all the time.  Hard is fun.  But, I don't want to play as a cripple, might as well have the character killed in battle.
  13. Managing cavalry

I really wish it were possible to assign control groups for two or more distinct groups of cavalry.  Especially for an all cavalry army one needs to command HAs as a separate group from the HC.   
  14. Native expansion... kinda pooh right at start.

I just started on NE as well.  I found it far too difficult to begin a level 1 character.  I imported my level 27 character, and even that is challenging. 
  15. Realistic (or much more challenging) Khergits

Stat buffing is one way to strengthen the AI.  I wish it were not necessary though.  Several things could help the Khergits, larger battle map, a feature that troops up against the map boundary would respawn, a change to HA behavior so that they would avoid infantry better. 
Back
Top Bottom