Recent content by Ichon

1. Ichon

Clarification about New Banners

The +5% movement banner makes sense and works- the accuracy banner is suspect because there is also a banner that says enemy ranged damage adjusted by -.10 which I have tested and does seem to lower damage received on the troop the banner is applied.

I can't tell on the accuracy thing as 6% is usually within the margin or error on tests, intuitively it makes sense that it boost accuracy by 6% if accuracy is a circle that varies in size at different distances then -6% on the diameter or radius of the cone means more accuracy but I somehow doubt that is how accuracy works in BL.
  2. Ichon

What bonus should the Dragon Banner give in your opinion?

Banners like -10% ranged damage are actually pretty good. -50% ranged damage would just be stupid, anything above 20% stat damage change for an entire party is OP in my opinion.

The Dragon Banner would seem mostly about legitimacy and influence and rather less about in-battle effects. That said, it could combine a couple combat bonuses since most banners only give bonuses to a certain troop type, having -10% damage from all sources of damage +20% morale for all Empire troops would be pretty nice.

I would much more like the Dragon Banner to speed up recruitment, making units 2x available from villages, lower army cohesion loss, and increase cultural bonus for Empire culture towns.
  3. Ichon

Running down enemies on world map

Yeah but why should NPC lords waste their time and money chasing a few peasants with big parties? That's pretty stupid thing to do. What if them NPC lords behaved a bit more like... real world?
    TW obviously decided not to code it so that AI Lords behaved realistically. If it was a design decision or more likely simply not worth the effort for something most people playing would not notice until they have completed some campaigns...

Making smaller parties have to survive a skill check by larger parties would be worse than the current situation.

As it stands, you can run a small party and outrun or dodge into towns against enemies. If you run a mid-size party 30-80 there are enough perks you will generally be able to catch most of the smaller AI parties but caravans and some parties will simply outpace you.

If you run large parties or armies, you will barely be able to catch anything at all. It is already an problem where you have an army of 1000 when an enemy army of 2000 approaches that has 2-3 smaller armies around it that initiate the battle and the larger army catches up. Not sure if the Ai does this via code or just happenstance when the larger army gets into reinforcement range (if you abandoned a siege or completed a battle with less room to run than guessed or something.

Having an ambush ability which require high tactics, leadership, and roguery might be handy so larger parties could catch smaller parties but making such a mechanic universal would cause much more rage than how it works currently.
  4. Ichon

Running down enemies on world map

Sorry but just because you don’t want a party of 100 to catch a party of 14 - that doesn’t justify what is probably the most pedestrian strategy map chase sequence in existence- there is literally less logic than pac man chasing ghosts. And btw you ever heard of an advance or scouting party ? Depending on the importance of said smaller party a larger party could send out a smaller one to hold them up or skirmish while larger party arrives as reinforcements.

There’s thousands of ways they could have thought to improve the map chase system but they chose Zero
    Until AI advance parties are constantly catching your small party and allowing it to be wiped by a larger party.

The maneuver on the world map is pretty basic but it also offers clear risk/reward trade-off for at least the first half of most campaigns.

Eventually all the remaining kingdoms have parties size 150+ while minor clans and defeated kingdoms are still running around with 30-50 so it becomes really annoying as there is no possible way to deal with both and players have to choose one or the other. Most people go with larger parties because it brings in more income but then the smaller parties constantly raid and lower prosperity which is mostly annoying from a 'clean' perspective, the amount of money battle loot brings in the late game is always more than towns until players control half the map.

There are also perks that allow faster forest or plains speed but they are almost all either/or so if you are plaing in the west taking the forest perks is usually best while playing in the east the plains perks make more sense but the movement system is very basic.

I would really favor chokepoints where castle garrisons could have a chance to intercept enemy parties effectively closing the choke or having to rely on roguery to sneak past.
  5. Ichon

Let's talk Trade?

Trade pretty much works best for small parties that can travel quickly and do not have a large payroll of upkeep and combining it with tournaments. If you catch a trade rumor for a town that is fairly close which is common and it is a mid to high value good like tools or silver ore that can be bought in the 30-50 and sold at 150-200 and you have 2-4 goods in rotation, each town should bring in 500 on average and it takes 1-2 days to travel to the nearest town + occasional 5-15k for tournament win, you can save up to 100k in a few weeks, even faster if you start taking out sea raiders or small minor parties on your travels.

Traveling with a party size above 30 rarely will make sense, especially early in a campaign as value of trade vs battles as no single town can absorb more than 20-30 worth of weight in trade goods.Out traveling you can also find the occasional good quest and build up relations etc and it is not as boring as smithing, by realtime it does take a bit longer to trade vs smith but that narrows down to almost nothing after you add tournaments and a few selective battles.

With high skills into perks you can trade and make good money forever but what is the point? In the same amount of time it takes to level up those perks you can already have several towns captured and more income than trade alone.
  6. Ichon

A question about city/castle management

My best engineer is 25% quicker building so far. And thats good in my eyes. So i think it´s worth moving one around. But loyalty is almost as important. But if one has the building for 1,5 extra loyalty and festival. Thats 4,5 plus. Wrong culture governor and wrong culture in leader is by my math 4 negative. So with the building and festival one should be at 0,5 plus.
    I even added a reform that should give 1 loyalty. And still i get on negative. It just don´t add up. So i´m beginning to think the festival is bugged. Because i don´t see that give effect.
    Sure, I am not saying engineer is useles since you can move engineer from the kingdom screen but since an engineer has travel time and most projects only last 10-30 days, if it takes an engineer 2 days to move and then reduces the 8 days project to 6, it only saved 2 days or if it reduces 28 days to 21 you saved a week which is cool but really only matters when you have 2 or 3 towns, more towns and a single engineer can't keep up with a meaningful amount of projects.

All projects will get completed in the first year or two of a campaign and getting 20 projects done a week early results in way less extra money/influence in time spent micro with an engineer character than fighting battles.

The festival and other bonus events ONLY work if there is not an ongoing project. If your loyalty is under 25 or will get there, cancel the building projects or put in a popular character as governor or increase the garrison. Usually you will only need to run the fesitval for a few months after you take over a town, once loyality and security increase, raising prosperity is more important.
  7. Ichon

A question about city/castle management

Don't bother putting governors in castles, just garrison + food and the castle will be fine. You can increase prosperity but it will takes ages for any ROI.

Towns on the other hand, definitely max all the buildings and increase prosperity plus installing a good governor on your most prosperous towns will pay back in less than a month.

Ultimately you'll need to ensure some reforms are passed or repealed to keep loyalty high in any non-culture towns. If you have high enough influence passing the right reforms is pretty easy normally.

Running a single high level engineer around between towns is not worth the micro for a few faster days of construction. Getting several engineers might change that but the main way to increase engineering is doing sieges so... kind of a built in limit there.
  8. Ichon

Upkeep for mounted troops

yeah, I'm a little confused too on what is meant by spreading out party size limit. That is one of the best parts of the skill tree: the most vital part of the game (party size) is spread out across all major categories. Vigor, Cunning, and Endurance all have sprinklings of party size increases, so a Lord that is a great sword fighter as there best strength still has gets some boosts.
    Each category gives +5 or +10 party size which is not nothing, especially when stacked together and ontop of sterwardship but it is pretty easy to get to party size 250+ relatively quickly, for a few months to a year that party size will be larger than most AI parties but then the AI aside from minor clans catches up and every battle becomes a fight between armies even if you have not gathered an army.

To me it increases the grind and lowers the fun.
  9. Ichon

What's your experience with being a foot soldier?

Did you watch the video? And who plays sieges on horseback really?
    What video? Did not see any videos posted by OP and only an advertisement on your post.

The OP was about playing foot soldiers and you can quite easily play sieges on horseback if you knock down the walls with trebuchets. My highest kill counts in sieges are as an archer taking advantage of AI not knowing where I am shooting from or running thru the streets on a horse taking out all the spawning reinforcements.

Doing a siege as a foot soldier is totally viable and the best foot soldier experience really- the only problem is the mosh pit at the top of the ladder but if you can wait for a lull when enemy reinforcements are coming, you can get into the towers/archer platforms and pick off dozens of enemy soldiers and sometimes even take out 2-3 from the group near the ladder before running back into a tower.

With the best armor, shield, and a short weapon you can even force your way thru the mosh pits sometimes but that is higher risk and almost always going to be some heavy HP loss.
  10. Ichon

Upkeep for mounted troops

I think that while needing to give your troops equipment would be more immersive, it would also be tedious (I'm imagining a system where we would need 1 piece of same tier chest armour as the tier we want to upgrade to per soldier, similar to how we use horses to upgrade into cavalry troops). I agree that equipment prices, especially at higher tiers are too expensive while at the same time, money becomes too easy to come by after a certain point.

I think a simpler middle ground "solution" would be for example decreasing the amount of battle loot gained by 1% for every x number of (non companion and family member) troop in your party with a minimum value of 10-20% or something that only applies to the player. We can then have a highlighted red text at the bottom of the looting screen after battle that says something along the lines of "your 50/100/150/200 etc. troops have taken 50% of the battle loot" and so on. This band-aid "solution", along with an item price decrease across the board (but especially at higher tiers) would theoretically make money more useful throughout the game, decrease the economic dependency on fighting for the playee while also keeping the early game loot economy similar to its current rate. It would also make running with smaller parties a more logical gameplay option and gives the player a reason for travelling as a solo party rather than an army with your clan parties at all times (other than moving faster on the world map). Although I'm sure that my suggestion would also result in many issues that I haven't even thought of.
    That is an interesting idea- if Lord party sizes also depended a bit more on clan tier- when every other party is size 150 or more in the late campaign, travelling with less than 30 becomes an issue as even when you can defeat 150 with 30, at least half or more will be dead/wounded and means you can only fight a single battle before having to run away to restock troops.

I would like some Lords to have 200+ parties but it seems the major factions ALL get to that size once a kingdom or two is eliminated. Stewardship being the only limit on party size is probably not enough. Clan Tier, Stewardship, and Leadership all factoring into party size might work better with some reasons to keep small party other than speed such as loot or being able to train up troops faster in smaller parties might work better.
  11. Ichon

What's your experience with being a foot soldier?

The game is unplayable as a foot soldier.

The battles are one giant mosh pit where you cant even walk, raise your weapon etc. The battles are same as Warband, without W.

Warning loud audio.

Not unplayable but more difficult for sure.

Sieges are the easiest to play as a foot soldier, field battles can be very grindy and chaotic. You can charge in and get maybe 5-20 kills fairly easy with a glaive but will be taken down by arrows/bolts eventually.

If you play with a shield and one handed weapon you will survive a lot longer but also probably kill a lot less and still have high odds of arrows hitting you from angles around the shield or a single couched lance charge from behind taking you out.

Playing as a foot archer with a shield and glaive is probably the main way to get a lot of kills and stay alive a long time but you'll have to be scavenging for arrows half the time and hiding behind your shield 1/3 of the time and is really quite a boring way to play.
  12. Ichon

Possible solution to balance Khan's Guard?

The most ideal and fantastical (= improbable the devs would ever give a f***) solution, would be to re-balance polearms as a whole. Particularly, swinging polearms are just way too high in damage+way too lenient in it's handling.

Also, there's a reason why large swinging polearms weren't usually all that popular on horseback in real-life. I won't go into detail here, but swinging polearms on horseback are almost non-consequential in the history of horseback fighting. It is very commonly depicted in media that "Asian cavalry" carry around glaives (ie., the famous imagery of Guan Yu from the RotTK), but the reality is even in Asia, glaives were predominantly infnatry weapons.

The very rare, almost only, exception would be late-16th ~ early-17th century Ming heavy cavalry, whom experimented with glaive weapons to fight AGAINST increasing incursions from tribal warriors such as the Jurchens -- but this experiment was also short lived since East Asian armies rapidly transitioned to firearms with the beginning of the 1600s.

The reality is, since the earliest artifacts depicting Scythians, to the famous Companions of Alexander, the powerful heavy cavalry of the Persians, famed Celtic and Germanic cavalry serving under Caesar, the Cataphracts of the Sassanids, tjem the cataphracts of the Eastern Empire themselves, the earliest knights that fought in Hastings, the ones that roamed Europe and invaded Middle East during the Crusades, the Seljuk cavalry that fought against them during the Crusades, to the Hussars of Poland and revived lancers of the Napoleon Era... the tribal warriors of Alans, Cumans, Huns... the Central Asian Khwarezmian cataphracts that fought against the Mongols, the Mongols themselves, the Khitai, the Jurchen... the Chinese cavalry from Han to Ming, the cavalry of the Korean peninsula.. Japan.. etcetc..

They were all spear-armed. Predominantly, throughout the ages.

The simplest solution? Disable use of swinging polearms on horseback.

That also seems the simplest answer. The most powerful longbows are disabled on horseback and they typically do far less damage than glaive and while glaive requires you to get a bit closer it also tends to outrange almost all the other infantry & horseback weapons other than bows.

Foot glaives are also pretty strong and not equally where every culture has them (ok only Sturgia lacks and also lacks strong archers) but not quite as annoying to deal with as Khan's Guards which are in top 3 archer, cavalry, and infantry, all in 1 unit.
  13. Ichon

Troops are Too cheap, Player Gears are Too Expensive

Yeah and EVERY npc should have to pay for EVERY troop's gear but a fief only pays about as much 1 pair of boots a day because there is no economy in this game. Players should ignore it just like the Devs do OR make a mod.

The hole is just too deep for TW to ever have any meaningful economy in bannerlord. "Oh but I think it's good it just needs" you didn't look in the hole.
    It will always be broken but there are ways to make the AI seem less obviously broken while improving the player progression. The late game is always going to have problems because it is very difficult to balance for a single party to a couple towns to owning half the map and a couple dozen towns and having several armies.

I'd rather they squeeze the late game into a smaller bit of broken stuff to lessen the grind and expand the early and middle stages of player progression.
  14. Ichon

Battania needs a buff

Not my experience at all, for me they do unusually well probably because they can bring all their troops to bear better than most factions. In my current play through they were constantly at war with two factions yet managed to defeat them all piecemeal. They beat the Aserai and Vlandians and the Western Empire and they absolutely slaughtering the Sturgians.
    Yep, the layout of their lands with just a few chokes and several towns near each other allows some of the easiest defense of any kingdom and the forest movement can be especially annoying once you have a party size about 50 because most Batannian parties run as fast or faster in forests until you get the movement perks.

As a side note, their tournaments feel like the only kingdom winning isn't 100% automatic due to all the 2 handed and throwing weapons, trying to dodge a throwing axe and block a 2 handed axe at the same time takes some practice.
  15. Ichon

Mods vs No Mods

I usually try vanilla experience once and then go onto mods but in EA the constant updates broke mods and I eventually just stopped playing. With Steam not that I know about the beta branches and can play mods it is a bit better but damn, never had so much trouble getting mods to work for any game that has mods in the Steam workshop.

Particularly shaders seem to be done really weird by TW.
Back
Top Bottom