Recent content by DominicWhite

1. Distinct Nationalities

Worbah said:
    Gilglaurad said:
    I've yet to see a 'ninja simulator'. A 'Hitman' game set in the ancient east would be good.

Never played the Tenchu series? Not 100% realistic, but about as close as you're going to get to Hitman with ninja. Basically, you're not to be seen, most killing is done through silently slitting throats, and while you probably will survive a one on one fight with a guard, two or more is a very good reason to turn and run.

Lots of grappling between buildings and running along rooftops. It's stylish, but fun.
  2. Moving slower while going backwards?

Continuing on the idea of a sprint button - it'd only work when moving straight forward - diagonals and moving backwards just aren't an option.

It means that if you need to turn and run, you actually DO have to turn.
  3. Poll: Who would like more fantasy elements?

Blade said:
    The game i was thinking about, that could fall in with the feeling of M&B is a very old one. Lets see if anyone can help me out with the name.
    It was made by a German game company, it played completelly in old Medieval Germany and for the most part it was very dark and gritty.

The game you are after is Darklands. Long out of print, but available for download on this site.

You may need a DOS Emulator like DOSBox to run it right, though.
  4. Poll: Who would like more fantasy elements?

You people want 'realistic' fantasy?

Check this out. No fireballs, wizards, magic swords and the like. Nothing Tolkien. No orcs, monsters or demons.

It's just good. And it's the kind of fantasy elements I'd like to see Mount and Blade expand into.
  5. Poll: Who would like more fantasy elements?

I think people are thinking within the box far too much here. The lines of logic seem be to along the lines of 'If you added anything fantasy, it would be dragons! But to kill the dragons, you'd need a magic sword, which means there'd be wizards to make the magic swords, which means you'd need spells' etc etc etc.

How about we think out of what we know as 'fantasy'. Perhaps the leader of the black knights could ride an unnaturally large wolf, for instance? A tribe of subterranean, cave-dwelling savages that have been raiding villages by night, for instance. Anyone seen The Thirteenth Warrior? That's historical fantasy. No magic about it - just mere mortal men in extraordinary situations.

Think about what we know as 'realistic' and take it that one step further. Those nasty sea raiders could be made even nastier if they had brought along a couple of armored mammoths from a distant northern land, couldn't they?

Fantasy doesn't have to mean tolkien-esque swords and sorcery. It can just mean a mild extension over what we consider reality. Unexpected and exciting things to shock the player.
  6. Poll: Who would like more fantasy elements?

I think you guys are seeing this in terms of extremes, and how the slightest hint of supernatural elements would immediately turn this into a Forgotten Realms clone.

Personally, I think that - if anything - it'd be more like Hyborea, the Conan the Barbarian world, where 99.9% of things happening are between mortal men with plain steel swords, and that what little supernatural things happen are usually far beyond the reckoning of even your average hero.
  7. Lose the ghost horses

coconono said:
    armagan said:
    Horses are dynamic meshes and as such bring a serious hit to performance.

Would it be possible to get that as an option? Something like a corpse/horse duration?

I second that. I've never had any slowdown, even with tons of horses around.
  8. Another quick weapon slot

GreenKnight said:
    Well, then you must be a very skilled player. Me, I find it rather daunting when I'm running backward, trying to pick off 10 enemies on foot, only to be beaned from behind by yet more men at arms, or worse yet, by cavalry still swarming around, getting in their cheap shot, then running off faster than I have hope of following. You know, that is if I had a chance to follow them, which I don't, because I'm still getting beaten into puree by the foot soldiers. Granted, that's how I fight, but come on, there's only one of me.

You do realise that you're not meant to be fighting everyone solo, right? Hire some troops and they'll soak up some of the hurt for you.
  9. Lose the ghost horses

Indeed. If corpses and arrows can stay on the battlefield permanently, why not horses? Make them damageable, and possibly have them roam around a bit, but I find it highly irritating to run up to a horse I desperately need to survive, only for it to fade into nothingness by the time I get there.
  10. Poll: Who would like more fantasy elements?

I'd personally like to see the end of the big story (when it's finally implemented) to put the player up against things that may be more or less than human as a final challenge/plot twist, but for the main game? No.

No magic weapons, no orcs, no skeletons walking the fields. That'd be far, far too cliche.
  11. Allow reloading of crossbows on horsback

A simple tradeoff - let smaller crossbows be reloadable on horseback, but take 2-3 times as long. I mean, it's hard to keep your hands steady while thundering along on a moving animal, isn't it?
  12. Where does Mount & Blade take place?

Ferox said:
    I see a little hun influence(kergit raiders) and the sea raiders seem vikingish.

It's just a mix of a lot of things.

Best way to do it, IMHO. All the most interesting bits of medieval warfare, all in the same place at the same time.
  13. Turkish Forum?

ipek said:
    We prefer tea actually :wink: Can't drink 15 cups of turkish coffee a day!

And c'mon people! Let our Turkish players enjoy. It's not like the turkish game industry releases 5 new games every year :wink:

Ha - good to see you posting as well. Keep up the good work, lass! :grin:

And just ignore Spartan. He doesn't seem to be very nice.
  14. Turkish Forum?

Spartan - stop being a jerk.

It's a nice thing that they've got a seperate forum in their own native language, even if most of their current userbase is english-speaking. Why should you gripe about that?
  15. Favorite Weapon Type

I vote none of the above! Thrown weapons are where it's at. Strong of arm, sharp of eye, and there's honestly nothing cooler than landing a javelin in some poor sods head.
Back
Top Bottom