Recent content by Blackened

1. Unstoppable army

1: Huscarls > Swadian Sergeants;
    2: Your army would have trouble with sieges;
    3: The number is too low, you should gather more troops.

Basically, the best army is Swadian Knights, Rhodok Crossbowmen and Nord Huscarls. Only knights for open field battles, only crossbowmen and infantry for sieges.

2. Possible roles for companions

I have decided that my combat NPCs will all be either archers (bow, 2 quivers, two-handed weapon) or cavalry (one-handed weapon, shield, siege crossbow, bolts).

Now I'm wondering whether I should give the non-combat NPCs some combat skill points (4 riding, maybe enough str for a siege crossbow), or should I just focus them on whatever they are focused (charisma / intelligence / agility / being noble). Do you think that the levels they gain from combat make up for the points wasted on their combat abilities (and the room they take in the army)?

Also, I'm wondering what to do with the companions who aren't noble and dislike the 8 companions who are incompatible with the nobles.
  3. Possible roles for companions

I just don't get it. Why the hell do you use War Horses for your companions, whereas Chargers have better stats?
  4. Possible roles for companions

Concerning the non-combat companions, I think I have the perfect build.

One with max Int - Tracking, Tactics, Path-finding, Spotting, Trainer and a filler skill;
    One with max Int - Wound Treatment, Surgery, First Aid, Engineer, Trainer and a filler skill;
    One with max Cha - Trade and 5 filler skills;
    One with max Agi - Looting and 5 filler skills (could still be a decent soldier, maybe)

(it's still incomplete, I have to think which companions exactly play those roles and what should the filler skills be)

This way, I lose two companions that could otherwise be used for combat, but I don't have do spend precious skill points for party skills, and I don't think that companions are that stronger than top tier units. The only problem I see is that they might be slow to level up. But I'm pretty sure they'll manage somehow. Maybe if I use them in battles, but this way they builds won't be optimal.

Concerning the Noble builds, they should be pretty simple. Just pick Int/Cha and put most skills on Leadership/Pathfinding/Tactics/Trainer, and the rest of them on Ironflesh/Powerstrike/Riding/Shield/Weapon Master/Athletics. The reason is that a single Charisma point adds a single unit, so three Charisma points and a single Leadership point (+8 units) should be far better than tens of levels spent on combat skills (+8 units is far better than any power boost on the lord, and I take into account the fact that lords often use weak units and that the number of units in the battlefield is limited).

I'll wait a little more and then comment on the combat builds. I think that a single build on all the companions should be the best option, but then comes the question, are they stronger than top tier units?
  5. Possible roles for companions

Here's what I'm thinking: The Noble companions should be made into lords, two companions should go for Int skills, one for max Cha (Trading), and one for max Agi (Looting). I'll first look at the possible roles of the remaining companions, which are going to be soldiers. For every 3 points...
  6. Horse Archers

Ludial said:
    I want a horse archer discussion!
    Me too, by the way. Do you think that horse archers and lancers are worth having in your army? Swadian Knights are probably significantly stronger. But I think that horse archers are very good for sieges too.
  7. What skills do companions need as lords?

I'm wondering about the same thing now. I'm also wondering whether the companions that aren't noble are worth making lords. Maybe just 1-3 of them, so that I keep everyone else in my party?

I'll try to categorize the skills.
    Strength skills: Power Strike, Ironflesh
    Agility skills: Riding, Shield, Weapon Master, Athletics
    Intelligence skills: Path-finding, Tactics, Trainer, Surgery(?), Wound Treatment(?)
    Charisma skills: Leadership
    Useless skills: Trade, Prisoner Management, Persuasion (?), Inventory Management, Looting, Tracking (?), Power Throw (?), Power Draw (?), Horse Archery (?), Spotting, First Aid, Engineer(?)

Strength and Agility skills seem useless to me. The reason is that they help for powering up a single troop - the lord. I'm pretty sure that +8 troops (+3 charisma and +1 leadership) are better than 10 levels spent powering up the lord. However, if you have excess free skills, they might still be invested in some of them. Also, the Lord is more useful in battles where the number of units participating is limited, but still not worth it IMO.

I want to know whether there might be any use of the skills with (?) after them. I think that companions should be leveled in Charisma and Intelligence only. This way, from the Intelligence skill point bonus, they should be able to level up a few combat skills too.

I also wonder if companions keep using the equipment you gave them before converting them into lords. If they do, it would answer the question of whether some of the (combat) skills are useful for them or not.
  8. Warband Mods (updated 10.06.11)

It sounds nice, but it's not for Warband. Anything for Warband?
  9. Warband Mods (updated 10.06.11)

I'm looking for a mod that has as many of those features as possible:
    - Fantasy setting;
    - units that cast spells;
    - option to cast spells;
    - skeletons/zombies/vampires/such units;
    - as many unit trees as possible, which are as balanced as possible (especially balance for the top tier units, not like in vanilla where the top units are (arguably) Nord Huscarls, Swadian Knights, Rhodok Crossbowmen);
    - as many game options not present in vanilla as possible (such as exploring dungeons or building special buildings or making potions);
    - compatible with Warband (note: this is not mandatory);
    - single player
    - is big and has many new things to explore (this doesn't mean it has to be long and it can't be short);
    - has as many altered skills/proficiencies as possible;
    - no game breaking bugs.

I don't care about graphics/sounds.

Horde Lands fits the description pretty well. However, AFAIK there isn't a version of it that runs on Warband. Also, I played it just for a little (it was a few years ago when I installed it), and I couldn't see if there is a good unit balance or whether it can keep me interested for a long time.

I checked out most of the published mods (even installed 2 of them), but I think that there might be a better mod that I missed. Also, I'm not sure whether I should post this in the thread, or as a separate thread.

Offtopic question: is it currently possible to create in-game unit that isn't bipedal, for example a dragon or a wolf? I'm asking because I'm wondering about how will a Fallout mod do.
  10. The Horde Lands v1.22 released!!

I see there is a Firearms proficiency. Are there any firearms in the mod? Because I didn't saw one so far.
  11. It's true, Swadian Knights are better than Vaegir Knights.

The morning star's damage is 29, while the best two-handed axe in the game (Great Axe)'s is 51 - 35% off, and it's 33. When we add the attack speed difference, I would say that morning stars are better than "badass axes" for cavalry.

As I said, Vaegir Knights could be better than Swadian Knights at siege, but cavalry aren't meant to be used in a siege.
  12. Mount&Blade vs Spore

Spore is a very good game IMO. Also, I think its concept is unique. I liked its gameplay a lot, though it can get a little boring at the end.

Look Fallout 3 and the other Fallout games. See what reviews is Fallout 3 getting, while its RPG elements are pathetic, compared to Fallout 1 and Fallout 2. It even has a lot of bugs and lacks simple things that could be made easily. Yet it's a good game, but not nearly as good as Fallout 1 or Fallout 2. It's just commercial (I'm not sure this word has the same meaning in English as it has in my native language).
  13. It's true, Swadian Knights are better than Vaegir Knights.

I think that lances are still a powerful weapon for an unit to use.

If your theory was right ("Vaegirs are stronger than Swadians because , then 50 Vaegirs would have killed 50 Swadians.

I mean, Vaegirs have light armor and cutting damage (the axed ones), while Swadians have heavy armor and piercing damage (the lanced ones). So, Swadians don't counter Vaegirs (cutting damage is good vs light armor and piercing - vs heavy).
  14. Best Way To Keep all COMPANIONS happy and raise Party MORALS

What I do is just save often; when someone tries to leave, I try to persuade him/her (I have 5 Persuasion). If I fail and he/she leaves, I simply reload. Works for me.

By the way, at low levels companions are really weak, compared to what you would get in your army if you get normal troops instead. But having someone for the party skills is always worth it. And if you manage to level someone enough (and pay for a good equipment), he can become much stronger than any of your normal troops.
  15. It's true, Swadian Knights are better than Vaegir Knights.

Do you guys seriously still think that Vaegir knights could be better than Swadian knights?

Let me make a list of the major differences:
    •Swadian Knights have slightly better stats.
    •Swadian Knights are better armored.
    •Vaegir Knights usually carry a large axe instead of shield and one-handed weapon.

Since large axes receive 35% damage and speed penalty when used on horseback, Swadian Knights are obviously better at field battles.

When at siege, better armors have the drawback of slowing your moving speed (thought they are worth the more armor, obviously), and large axes aren't receiving any penalty. So, Vaegir Knights are slightly better at siege.

But cavalry isn't meant for sieges. When besieging something, use Nord infantry instead.

Vaegir knights could be useful if used for all, and yet not that useful, because they are good at dealing damage, and not that good at absorbing damage, unlike Swadian Knights, which are equally good at both.

I'm saying this as someone that doens't takes a side between Swadians/Vaegirs.
Back
Top Bottom