Need More Info Flickering battlefield

Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
Branch
Beta
Modded/unmodded
Yes, I used mods.
Hi! I often find this bug when im battleling with different armies, bandits, caravans, etc. So I made an video and posted it on YouTube to see this bug better! I hope this will be fixed. Or maybe someone can help me to fix this.

Hi! I often find this bug when im battleling with different armies, bandits, caravans, etc. So I made an video and posted it on YouTube to see this bug better! I hope this will be fixed. Or maybe someone can help me to fix this.

Yeah me too and the world map aswell and in the village map too. I have a radeon rx 580 car I5 processor( 3.5ghz, 3.5 Ghz ) and 16 gig ram

Are your GPU drivers up to date? What is your PC system?
Can you try deleting the Shaders folder and verify the game again?
C:\ProgramData\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord\Shaders
Please note that Windows need to show hidden folders first.

Deleting the shaders folder worked but the problem came back after a hour or 2 of game play

Are your GPU drivers up to date? What is your PC system?
Can you try deleting the Shaders folder and verify the game again?
C:\ProgramData\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord\Shaders
Please note that Windows need to show hidden folders first.
Firstly, I got an GTX 1650, I5-9300H, 8GB of RAM, 512GB M2 SSD, Windows 10 PRO,
My GPU and other drivers, are all up to date. This problem is here since many patches though

Yeap, already done that twice! And today I got this bug again! It seems like many of us got this bug, because I asked the facebook comunity about this issue.
I know this is liek saying did you turn it on and off again lol

Experiencing this issue too.

Happens for me always & exclusively on precisely the battlefield scene you're showing in the video, not within any other scenes.
In custom battle, I think the battlefield is called "battle_terrain_i (Plain)".

I cannot remember it happening in any other scene. I also could not reproduce it under any season/lighting conditions in custom battle at all, it only happens in campaign (there are different starting positions in campaign for armies on that battlefield tho).

Due to the way it looks, my suspicion always was that these are very long erroneous dynamic shadows.
I just had the thing happen in campaign on that exact battlefield at nighttime (!!!). Consequently, the effect was very faint, but I tested some things:
- The flickering also happens in Photo Mode, when no entities move.
- The flickering also happens when the camera is not being moved, even though it seems to flicker less frequently.
- The frequency of the flickering seems to differ depending on which direction you look. The presumed-shadows seem to 'originate' from somewhere behind the attackers' starting position. If you look towards where the origin of those shadows would be, the flickering seems significantly lessened. If the camera points away from where the imaginary origin point is, it flickers a lot.

I switched shadows in the options to 'static only', and the flickering presumed-to-be-shadows disappeared.
Curiously, I switched the option back to 'static and dynamic' and the phenomenon did not reappear during the same battle.

Maybe that's a hint for the devs as to what it could be if you guys can reproduce that.

I'll try to grab some screenshots if it happens again on a sunny day, when its better visible.

Computer Specs:
Windows 10 Professional x64
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 670 4GB (Asus GTX 760 DirectCU II 4GB)
GPU Driver Version: 461.09
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570
RAM: 16 GB DDR3-1600
Motherboard: MSI Z77 MPower
Storage Device (HDD/SSD): SSD

Additional testing:

- I was wrong that it only happens in that one scene. I had it happen in a very similar looking scene. See screenshots.
- The 'shadows' originate from nowhere. They don't correlate with a light source. They're perfectly parallel stripes. The flickering frequency is highly dependant on camera angle though.

- When I take a photo using BL's integrated photo mode, the shadow-stripes disappear for 1 second, then reappear. This enables to take perfectly identical images, one time with shadow-stripes, the second time without (just take a second shot suring the 1-second time window after the first was taken).

- When I attempted to use Windows integrated game video recording (Win+G), the shadow-stripes stopped flickering and stayed permanently on as long as the recording-overlay-UI was superimposed on the bannerlord window.
I have some videos of the flickering via the 'record last 30 second' function tho. No youtube-account tho, and will only bother to make one if TW really totally needs more video.

Okay, now for the screenshots - there's usually two showing the same perspective, but one with the shadow-stripes and one without. It flickers between those two states as seen in OP's video.:

Player perspetive, no stripes:

Player perspective, stripes:

From above, no stripes:

From above, stripes:

Across mountains, no stripes:

Across mountains, stripes:

Different battle, daytime & sun position, no stripes:

Different battle, daytime & sun position, stripes:

The following shots were taken in the same scene as OP, but in nighttime, so the shadow-stripes were barely visible. So these are photoshopped images, with the black pixels overlaid on the image being the highly enhanced differences between the.two images (shadow/non-shadow versions):

So these stripes are independent of any light source, they are identical per map regardless of daytime. Their direction seems to perfectly align with repeating patterns of ground textures, so my guess would be that they are along one of the axes of the map coordinate.system.
I could reliably fix it for the individual instance of the battle by changing the shadow options in the performance menu, switching dynamic shadows off and on again. The phenomenon will then reappear the next battle on an affected map.

Back
Top Bottom