Guide: Skills

Users who are viewing this thread

Anyone know of a quick way to level athletics? Going on foot on the world map is a pain, as is fighting battles on foot, apart from sieges.

It doesn't help that I start out slower than a one legged elderly lady with arthritis on crutches.

In the arena, 2v2, my teammate runs of and gets slaughtered before I can get there.

Fight a siege. Throw a bunch of explosive jars in the melee. You'll kill between 5 and 12 people, and you'll get 3-5 ranks in throwing AND athletics everytime. It's broken as hell :smile:

@ZincAzN true, I think leadership is more for when you are a vassal/leader of an assembled army.

I'm quite positive it must be per chance. You can easily try it out. When you sell any other goods (even with profits) but there are no rumors for that good. You don't get XP.
I've tested a bit and i think you lvl trader if you sell stuff for more than you bought it, but your not alowed to close your session between buying and selling it

Last edited:
I confirm, you don't get leadership xp from high moral... leadership and charm are pretty much impossible to level up.
That's because gold charms nobles, but people don't.

I give out 1k gold to almost every noble I meet, about 80% of them give me one skill level of charm. Sometimes if they have a lot of horses, I'll give them an aseri warhorse and that might give me 2 skill levels. I'm up to about 53 on charm skill.

Charm has been patched since my quote, though. Now it levels up on charm tests and on bribes, so it's actually possible to level it consistently.

That's because gold charms nobles, but people don't.

I give out 1k gold to almost every noble I meet, about 80% of them give me one skill level of charm. Sometimes if they have a lot of horses, I'll give them an aseri warhorse and that might give me 2 skill levels. I'm up to about 53 on charm skill.
I give 10 gold per lord. I gained 1 level for each time i did this until about level 70. Then I gain a level for every 2 times I did this. Also if a faction only has 1 castle, more lords will hang out inside of it. Or you can track down and follow armies and talk to the lords.

So for micromanagers they can select Quatermaster just before the end of the day, Scout when they enter a forest and surgeon for healing.

No need to do that. The player character actively performs all four roles by default, if not assigned to companions.

In current playthrough, I've never assigned my own character a role. Only assigned Scout to a companion, have never assigned any other roles.

I still get the Quartermaster buff in Party Size mouseover tooltip (and the math adds up, so it's active and working). And the Surgeon buff appears in the Healing Rate mouseover. Can only be coming from my own character, since not only are the other companions not assigned these roles, but they're all also zero-skill in Steward and Medicine.

Also, Steward and Medicine seem to level at roughly the same pace as they did earlier when I was experimentally assigning myself QM or Surg roles. If there's a difference (and I don't think there is), it's imperceptibly small.

about player clan role - if u dont choose anything, the game allocate u to all roles (ofc if no companions with this role), so its good to have "none" as ur character.

Charm seems to increase when you change relations with someone. Mine increased several times when fighting thugs in the alleys when at the end I won all those relationship points with the opposite factions. I don't know if it's a bug though, my character charm was very low.

Charm seems to increase when you change relations with someone. Mine increased several times when fighting thugs in the alleys when at the end I won all those relationship points with the opposite factions. I don't know if it's a bug though, my character charm was very low.
true, can confirm that now. increasing relations in any way seem to improve your charm.

Nice guide.

I think what I'm really curious about is what the skills actually do, numerically.

As in, if i swing a 2h sword in X seconds at 2h skill 50, how fast do i swing it at 100 or 200?

@ZincAzN true, I think leadership is more for when you are a vassal/leader of an assembled army.

I'm quite positive it must be per chance. You can easily try it out. When you sell any other goods (even with profits) but there are no rumors for that good. You don't get XP.

I raised merchant skill easily selling goods with profit when there was no rumours about it. One thing that blocks it is if You obtain goods as loot and sell them they won't give exp. Same applies if You sell your loot together with goods you brought. The only time exp raised was when I sold goods purchased in different city with profit but without mixing loot in.

For medicine, knock out you recruits with your own tournament arrows in battle. Makes sure the don;t die, gives you med skill and then you can rest in town and get med skill.
Or don't because after the 10hp perk it's kinda broken or too weak to help.
If TW needs to nerf this, nerf the skill triggering, don't take away turny arrows, they're good.

For trade, I think there's possibly a different trigger when you sell to villages. I haven't tested it but I've noticed several times I got trade from dumping stuff off in villages, stuff I got from drops, not purposeful buying to trade.

You can make a clan member into an army and make them fallow you for some passive leadership skill gain, but also when you go into battle with them, they can gain medicine from thier own units going down, not sure if they can gain tactics.

so not sure if this still holds true but it defiantly used to be the case. with trading in order to make a skill gain u must buy low and sell high. it counted total profit so when u make ur sells do not "buy back" anything when ur selling cause u wont get the most denar change to happen. also if u load you game alot while ur trading u won get any skill increase. i found this is the reason alot of people prolly dont see trade skill gains. u must not save scum if u want to increase trading. tyral to oysteria is a good run

so not sure if this still holds true but it defiantly used to be the case. with trading in order to make a skill gain u must buy low and sell high. it counted total profit so when u make ur sells do not "buy back" anything when ur selling cause u wont get the most denar change to happen. also if u load you game alot while ur trading u won get any skill increase. i found this is the reason alot of people prolly dont see trade skill gains. u must not save scum if u want to increase trading. tyral to oysteria is a good run
AHA

That must have been the problem for me. The saving. Indeed when I did a focused trade run (no saves/loads) i did gain a lot of XP. But when I normally do it, I generally have some saves and loads in between.

Should be seen as a bug though.

Can anyone explain the Surgeon Perk "Doctor's Oath".

According to the tooltip for Doctor's Oath:

"Medicine recovery chance applies to enemies too".

What's "Medicine recovery chance" and why would we ever want it to apply to enemies?

I did get leadership xp when i let my troops starve a bit and then fixed it back to up. So seems you get XP for raising morale, but not for sustaining it high.

So keeping high morale doesn't do much, if anything, to level up the player's leadership skills but having low morale and increasing morale does. Needless to say this is illogical and a flawed design. Keeping high morale should do MORE for leadership progression than increasing morale from a low morale status.

Back
Top Bottom