[Q&A] Quick Questions // Quick Answers

Users who are viewing this thread

geminitiger said:
Do mages get penalized for wearing something like leather hats/gloves with 0 magic modifier? I read something on the magic thread and it was a bit confusing so would like clarification.

No, if it shows 0 magic modifier you are fine.

You should have at least 1 item with a positive modifier or one of the special staves  {gnarled, journeyman, adept, expert,  archmage} which if placed in the top weapons slot will auto-charge for mage class characters.  Necromancer staff will not auto-charge but does add a positive magic modifier also.  {shaman, elf, drow} staves also have a positive magic modifier, but will not auto-charge.  All of these staves need to be placed in the top most weapons slot to count towards boosting your magic power at the instant of spell use, and the boost is indirect - all of the pluses and minuses of your four armor slots (chest, feet, hands, head) plus first weapons slot (staff only) are added together, and if the result is a positive number, this divided by 4 is added to your base magic power only in calculating spell strength, and not for mana or regeneration purposes.  If the value is negative, the value is divided by 3 and that negative numbered result is added to magic power.  So wearing a chest armor that has a -10 modifier and not cancelling that value with something worn in another slot makes you cast as if 3 magic power less.  Thus you might wear heavy armor and do almost no damage, leading one "reviewer" to proclaim the magic was greatly unbalanced and impossible to do damage!  Also the maximum boost from gear is limited to your own magic power; a magic power skill of 2 for example can gain a maximum benefit after all calculations of 2 magic power.  Otherwise someone shops for archmage robes, hat, and staff and suddenly casts as if very high skilled mage, which is just wrong.

geminitiger said:
Can I see my chosen classes somewhere in-game? If not how about adding it?

Go to town center / village center  and press M to show classes
  only Magic user and Cleric/Paladin have clicky menus from there, but at least there should be a list of each class it found.

You can also look in the mirror:
Under reports: reference materials: view all lords (and yourself): left arrow to go to the end, double click your own icon,
and now read what the game thinks about you.  There's all sorts of information you don't normally see shown...

geminitiger said:
Do all impoverished nobles get banners? I've started several games with this selected but only sometimes do I get a banner.

You need a certain amount of renown to get a banner, either 150 like a fief for a male or 125.  Some combinations of starting choices get different renown; that's sort-of the motivation for the presentation driven character generator in v156, to see what you get with what choices, especially the rigale skills.

geminitiger said:
gsanders said:
...You need a certain amount of renown to get a banner, either 150 like a fief for a male or 125...
I've got a paladin/bard with over 200 reknown and no banner do I need own land?

If you become someone's vassal you are instantly granted a banner.  Until then if you were not born as nobility you are a commoner who has some sort of fame but you are not noble, by old standards.  If you have not joined a faction, then at least not many factions make war on you, and now is the time when you can build enterprises, craft, gather companions, and so on.

by the way, here's a save game from v156 B-series that has a test character that joined the Dwarves, who stay mostly peaceful (except they don't like orcs or undead).  You can examine crafting, this character has a wife already travelling with the party, and a large force in case you want to go explore.
  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OH-t_d0IwNrtbAGx40NIe2FJN7IGA3Rv/view?usp=sharing      for Warband 1.173

gsanders said:
Until then if you were not born as nobility you are a commoner who has some sort of fame but you are not noble, by old standards. 
Well, I was born the son of an impoverished noble (but wasn't trained as a noble later in life) but by old standards I should have a banner.

Another quick question is how many unique NPC companions are there?

geminitiger said:
gsanders said:
Until then if you were not born as nobility you are a commoner who has some sort of fame but you are not noble, by old standards. 
Well, I was born the son of an impoverished noble (but wasn't trained as a noble later in life) but by old standards I should have a banner.

Another quick question is how many unique NPC companions are there?

There were two banners added, one for being king if you start as a king and one for ordinary banners.  I suppressed one and maybe it blocked your ordinary banner.  If it is a real game stopper I suppose you could try bannerlord, at least it has "banners" in the name.  I was kind of hoping this mod has more than a banner to attract new players.  Its possible there needs to be another banner for you.  If so, its uniquely 155/156, as 150 didnt have the potential for two banners given on different timers.  I'm not certain how I can add a banner after the fact besides a periodic check if your banner tile is blank and what your renown is each 169 hours or so.  I guess my vanity wasn't such that I was worried about it.  If I remember, next time I mod I'll put in in, but I had plans to work on a different mod for the next 3-4 weeks.

Guspav put 34 companions in.

geminitiger said:
It wasn't a game stopper, I was just curious about how banners work. I got one when I joined a faction and that is good enough.

Good.  It probably got clipped for non-king starts by mistake, but at least vassals work.  By the way, females can get vassal invites as well as males, but its complicated in this mod.  3 factions are ruled by queens - blazing hand, elf, and drow.  Those 3 invite females.  The others want males, unless you really impress them.  Orcs want males no matter if you were the demi goddess of death; after all, they're the model for male chauvanist pigs...

gsanders said:
geminitiger said:
is there anyway to change the name of my kingdom from "player's supporters"?

If you start as a king (v155/v156) the default kingdom name is "{your name}'s kingdom".  If you become a king by any other means, it is default Diplomacy, which doesn't change the name at all, so it drops down to Native, which is "player's supporters". 

I honestly am focused on systems changes, not stroking your ego.  It's just a label.  I ought to make it inscrutable, like the Grand Duchy of Kalamazoo, and you're just stuck with it, but probably I'll try it your way.  But not this week.  I kind of feel like you forgot what made the mod different, and are asking it to be the same.  I dont care what your kingdom is called.  But I did make one change for kingdoms at start.  I suppose I should slam that title before you even get a kingdom, and then it will only fail if you change your name in between that time.  Mainly, it needs a presentation to gather the field name, and presentations waste a lot of time to make, so its been low priority.  I want portable code for generic mods.  Kingdom names just isnt as important as other targets.  I'll get it done sometime this summer.  If I'm still here, and not busy at another mod.

You are wrong on both counts.
1) Starting as a kingdom will create "Player's Supporters" NOT "X's Kingdom".
2) role play immersion > game systems
As for the rest of the things you said, I suggest you find someone to talk to about your problems instead of venting on random people.

Probably the fastest way to gather a kingdom name is to use the existing presentation  "change party name" under actions, and the name is applied to player supporters faction.
There are two factions assigned to the player -- players kingdom  and player's supporters.  It sounds like both need to be changed if either is changed.

As for not wanting to do more work, I was hoping the mod was worth your time without me having to do a bunch of side jobs.  There is not enough time to do everything that needs doing, and I dont much like doing unscripted changes, but I can see this is a sticking point.  It makes me not happy to wakee up, wondering what the next complaint is.  I'll make the change you asked, but I wont guarantee when the next update is.  At least I promise not to update at all without your change. Now please, leave me alone.

EDIT:  it turns out, there was already a change kingdom name in action menu page 2, but it was checking for a variable  that was never set
      (eq, "$players_kingdom_name_set", 1),

removing this check allows renaming the kingdom.
  Nevertheless the timing of this interrupted other things in the queue, losing 1 days progress.
  I'll need to wrap this up because I'm overdue to help out at Warsword Conquest next week.  I was expecting something this week but my part is not ready.

validation character used:  v156 B6/B7  Warband 1.173 
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1whqFrGrFEzDPBV3YCGFh_6vWCBU_TvVq/view?usp=sharing

Is there a way to get death knights other than to rearange the troop tree like a total noob? And of there is please enlighten this poor follower of yours.
Also why are the death troops stats so low, I mean all of them. 7s 4a 4i 4c and i still think the charisma is a bit too high, or is it so low dcuz they are dead and their source of power is magical rater than physical?

EDIT: Could you add the enb parts of nova aethas? Its kind of cool looking.

zecond said:
Is there a way to get death knights other than to rearange the troop tree like a total noob? And of there is please enlighten this poor follower of yours.
Also why are the death troops stats so low, I mean all of them. 7s 4a 4i 4c and i still think the charisma is a bit too high, or is it so low dcuz they are dead and their source of power is magical rater than physical?

I don't know; I'll have to look into it next week, if I'm not yet on the WC code.

Another one that I ask for the second time(first time got shadowed by a small 4 section argument)
In the Guide for chare creation it isnt specified but, do you get a generic peset(good,neutral,evil) when you chose the priest as a secodary profesion? Or are you suposed to choose but it is somewhat buged? Cuz the choices are pretty damn generic to me.

Oh and how do i increase the power of the priest spells?

zecond said:
Another one that I ask for the second time(first time got shadowed by a small 4 section argument)
In the Guide for chare creation it isnt specified but, do you get a generic peset(good,neutral,evil) when you chose the priest as a secodary profesion? Or are you suposed to choose but it is somewhat buged? Cuz the choices are pretty damn generic to me.

Oh and how do i increase the power of the priest spells?

for v155/v156, it lets you choose deity, with your alignment being already filtered by the race you are.  For v150 you're neutral unless skin type for your race forces evil, and the deity is "generic" only.  There is not much difference in deities except for fire cleric, which is neutral only.  However the spells are changed in damage / healing and range according to your alignment.  Alignment definitely changes heals and to a lesser extent harms.

To magnify damage/healing, you need to increase the faith skill.  Damage is generally based on faith skill, and can be limited by magic defense of target.

Ntsi said:
Hi, gentlemen, I have a question. Is it possible to increase the map approximation in AD 1257 somehow? I am sorry for grammar.

I do not understand your question.  You want to make a bigger map in the mod 1257?  The map is made larger by changing the module.ini file
In this mod, which is NOT 1257 AD, the map corners are set by
map_min_x  = -400
map_max_x  =  400
map_min_y  = -300
map_max_y  =  300

I don't know what they would be for the mod 1257.  Once you change the edges you then need to edit the map yourself with Thorgrim's map editor, which in itself is a huge problem and would take many man weeks to make a map, if you ever were successful.  Most people try and fail.  The map tools in Warband are extremely primitive and crash constantly.  You could look up Swyter's map tool in the forge, and see if that crashed less.  It's my expectation that working day and night, minimum 10 hours per day, you could make a useable map within about 100 hours.  This is the main reason why I don't have a new map -- that much time could have been spent making huge progress in code, or it could have made 1 map, possibly not very well.

I know nothing about the mod 1257 so you should go to that forum to ask, not here.

Back
Top Bottom