Kerbal Space Program

Users who are viewing this thread

Sparkyninja

Grandmaster Knight
Austupaio said:
Note that the below hasn't been updated since July 18th, 2011 and therefore is rather obsolete. The game has been updated considerably since then, I just can't be bothered to change my OP.

I was linked to this fun little alpha of a NASA-Spore inspired game by Swadius over in free games. It's called Kerbal Space Program, here's their website and the forums. Unfortunately, they have a somewhat weak server running those so heavy traffic puts them down occasionally.

Right now, it's a free alpha and therefore pretty simplistic. You build a rocket, you attempt to launch into space, probably fail. However, designing idiotic unique rockets and attempting to fly them around while keeping your emotional astronauts alive is quite entertaining.

Screenshots courtesy of Swadius and Tralfaz.
nMeMr.jpg
143lufa.png
29cqdsy.png
Have a video or two.
Dev video showing some upcoming changes.
Random User video showing him trying new rocket designs. A tiny bit boring but it shows both designing and launching.

It's also quite moddable and they intend to keep it that way, adding new parts for shuttles is incredibly easy. I made some orky bits in about two minutes. Editing textures is easy enough with my ancient version of photoshop, the part cfg text files are well commented and the model is pretty simple as well.
5vdJY.jpg

As for payment plan, it's going to be free demos for a little while longer, then they'll be taking the comfortable Minecraft route, start cheap and raise the price as they approach a full release.

Edit ; As for modding, here's the Projects and Releases board for those of you who need more variety in your shuttle building! I even have a mod there. There's also the full modding board if you need help or even more parts that haven't been moved / finished enough to be moved.

It bothers me that Jebediah always seems to be smiling, unless they are REALLY ****ed. Bob always seems to be screaming no matter what.

Bob- OMG! Were spinning!!!!!!

Jebediah-Dun worry, it's suppose to do that.

Bill- Are you sure?

*BOOOM*

well I'm a newfag because I tried to tri-force and it failed, ended up them going in circles and hitting the assembly plant and exploding

Aye, they just released 8.1 which adds the very handy symmetry button, some bugfixes and make ships a bit less wibbly-wobbly.

Also, 8.2 which adds more bugfixes.

* Jean takes off his helmet

Back from a 21-minute mission that extended 440,000m above sea level.

A rather relaxing mission, attributed to the ambient space music I had in the background.

So I just took of on the tutorial mission, and unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to detach the rocket or deploy the parachute. All hands were lost. Anyone know how?

How the hell do you build a rocket which is able to get off the planet? I've tried many things now but I've failed.  :razz:

The most important bit is stability, while it's less fun to watch your speed is much more reliable if you're going straight as much as possible. SAS systems work best in circles around the center of gravity of your craft.

Okay, got to space. There are four stages on my rocket: massive speed stage on launch (makes the rocket spin like crazy too, lol, but doesn't alter the course), second speed stage and then the liquid stage. The only problem is fuel. I'm gonna run out of it in space and I can't add more fuel tanks because then I won't lift off properly.  :razz:

Can you not build a special section of your rocket to reach space separately with additional fuel tanks and reconnect them in orbit to your main craft once you separate?

Back
Top Bottom