Lore debate thread

Should the mod be IA-oriented or RW-oriented?

• The Red Wars oriented

Votes: 22 41.5%
  • The Imperial Age oriented

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • Compromised or mixed

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Something else...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

Looks like Helvetian stuff. If Red Wars win over Imperial Age II, then those uniforms could be used for the Kingdom of Helvetia.
Btw, I have a question, if Imperial Age II wins, would you release a patch for the bugs in the current version of Red Wars? I've heard some of them have been fixed since then and especially:

ScreamingCommie said:
For the next version I've already fixed 80% of the freelancer infinite loops

...the freelancer bugs.

@ Kabogh, release a patch? We've started from the beginning with a new source which includes a fully patched Freelancer, Blood and Fire's water travel, Diplomacy, Pre-Battle Orders and a few other things. I'd rather shove my **** in a blender than let my resources be used for Helvetia.

So why can't you guys just work on both mods as seperate projects under the same banner?

Clearly looking at the poll the long term results might be more or less 50/50. Last time I checked, the state of the current module is pretty solid in needing of some bug fixes. The same sort of scripting and coding can be used both modules now.

SeanBeansShako said:
So why can't you guys just work on both mods as seperate projects under the same banner?

Clearly looking at the poll the long term results might be more or less 50/50. Last time I checked, the state of the current module is pretty solid in needing of some bug fixes. The same sort of scripting and coding can be used both modules now.

That's what I wanted to do originally, but we thought it would be good to get players opinions on the matter before we make a decision like that. It's interesting how divided people are on the matter. I just hope it doesn't end up being a tie.

Frenzied_Crocoduck_Herder said:
Antigonus said:

I've got some uniform screenshots here for you, if you're interested.

The faction leader's uniform

bx0XcrC.jpg

A high ranking officer uniform

crP3RQk.jpg

A Royal Guard uniform

HmpvRrS.jpg

That is definitely looking good! Even better than the old Helvetian uniforms, imo. Besides, how is it called the piece of cloth that the Royal Guard uses around his torso?

@ Kabogh, release a patch? We've started from the beginning with a new source which includes a fully patched Freelancer, Blood and Fire's water travel, Diplomacy, Pre-Battle Orders and a few other things. I'd rather shove my **** in a blender than let my resources be used for Helvetia.

Firstly, if you click the link in the quote, you will see that commie talked about bugs that were fixed in the old version, I was talking about those, because the bug fix wasn't released.
Secondly, what have I done to you to deserve such rudeness?

Antigonus said:
Antigonus said:

I've got some uniform screenshots here for you, if you're interested.

The faction leader's uniform

bx0XcrC.jpg

A high ranking officer uniform

crP3RQk.jpg

A Royal Guard uniform

HmpvRrS.jpg

That is definitely looking good! Even better than the old Helvetian uniforms, imo. Besides, how is it called the piece of cloth that the Royal Guard uses around his torso?

That is his greatcoat, rolled up.

@ Kabogh, I wasn't trying to be rude. I don't know anything about this patch, it was probably lost because it was never completed.

@ Commie, "we"? I don't mean to be harsh here, but Fast and myself think this poll is a massive waste of our time since we've pretty much put all development on RW on-hold until June; and I highly doubt there would be any complaints from people if we were to develop two modules under the same name. Also, from what I've seen from ModDB and TW comments there's a lot more demand for a more serious take on Red Wars.

Can we just scrap this damned poll and get back to work so we can get this mod out sooner?

From what I've seen, from this poll comments and reviews, is that people are very mixed about what they want from the lore. it's not that I'm against a serious take on the mod, it's just that most warband mods take that route, and since we do not have a massive financial investment in this mod, why not take a risk and do something else?

Also work on the art side of RW has stalled, but bugfixing, feature additions,  and other codey stuff is still going on. Also maybe potentially vehicles.

@Frenzied did u make that post before or after we had the map discussion.

ScreamingCommie said:
From what I've seen, from this poll comments and reviews, is that people are very mixed about what they want from the lore. it's not that I'm against a serious take on the mod, it's just that most warband mods take that route, and since we do not have a massive financial investment in this mod, why not take a risk and do something else?

Honestly now, if you want to do something like this it might be easier to base it on a non Warband game. Warband is really just about killing dudes, growing stats and wearing fancy clothing/weaponz. Both versions of the 'lore' are about as deep as the original and current lore of the base game.

Then again, due to the whole subject matter leading to the deaths of millions in the last century you have to be really good to make the whole angle sort of funny. What I've seen is just some general random internet humour that is hit or miss.

If you want Red Wars to make some sort of satrical statement against 20th century idelogies, It really wound just start out easy and get more hard over time. And every five minutes some NPC points out your a war criminal.

And then the game sort of awkwardly ends due to hyper inflation of the costs of all the produced goods and nobody being alive left to fight. Then the module unistalls itself and a pop up window asks you to go outside.

I still believe having two radically different modules with the same general theme under the same banner and development team is the most sane result out all this. Considering you already have the module out already with a solid fan base I don't see any harm in doing this.

Hell, It'd stop the constant requests for things being too serious/not serious enough for one.

maintaining two radically different modules is a turd though, and not something that I want to deal with. If we had 8 more people it may be worth trying, but  with our team size it's simply not worth it.

You are right, it is hit and miss, but all things like this are. Point is, for those who don't like it there are several mods that are coming out that will offer serious industrial age experiences (battle for Yugoslavia and blood and steel to name a couple).  But the fact that red wars doesn't take itself seriously is what really sets it apart and it's what a substantial amount of people, maybe not a majority, but a lot of people like about it. I don't see the point in removing that aspect from the mod.

@ Commie, I made the post before we tried making some middle ground that satisfies us both. I'm not too bothered about what route you take, I'm just pissed that my work will go to waste, and let's be honest, a lot of the uniforms I've made have no place in your version of RW.

@ Commie, it's highly unlikely, like I said in our conversation, many of the new uniforms have faction specific medals and insignias on them, not to mention that some of the uniform textures have a habit of corrupting when you **** around with the colour options.

Seeing how The Red Wars is winning over The Imperial Age (sadly), does this mean that all of the new Imperial Age oriented uniforms and factions will be scrapped? Please don't make this happen. If really necessary, split the team between the two alternative projects.

We have a solution, unfortunately some things will have to be scrapped. Before making a decision like that we should of checked what players wanted before hand. I'll make a news update about it later.

Not exactly,

what is going to happen is we are going to include all the factions from imperial age, but keep the red wars political cartooniness for all of them. Basically Red Wars but with more factions.

Back
Top Bottom