How about a pre battle deployment phase?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dosiere

Recruit
There are really two options I think would just be awesome for Mount and Blade, the first has been discussed before, sorry if the second has as well I didn't find anthing under search.

1) You know that when you initiate hostile contact, you are taken to a dialogue screen where you basically say fight or retreat.  How about either before or after that you have the ability to actually pick your forces.  Rather than just going by the order your troops are listed, you can finally pick individual troops out.  "5 Archers, 5 Footmen, and say 2 companions" and so forth.  It seems to me (i'm not a programmer or anything though) that this would be possible (easy?) to implement into the current game.  Would be nice for sure!

2) An actual in battle deployment phase.  You are taken to the battlefield, and your troops are spawned as well.  However, the enemy is not spawned yet and you only have a small area that you can traverse.  Now, this option would be really cool now that we are getting some formations in the game.  Before this would have been just fluff since everyone just charges anyway - but it would be so nice to be able to mess with the formations out of combat and get your archers set up and such.  I imagine this would take some work but especially if formations continue to improve it would be amazing!

Anyway, what do you think?

(edit) - Posted in the wrong forum!  :oops:  Could someone move it over to suggestions for me?

If you use the search function you will find a great deal of dialog on these suggestions. Use search next time and lend your ideas to an existing thread.

I like the idea! Hand picking troops before a battle and send in cavalry later from another direction maybe? any way this is intresting! Hope you will be able to do this in a mod or in native!

Tactics should affect this then as well - a bit like in the HoMM series in fact.

Besides, right now I find tactics to be rather useless due to the large number of troops you can have on the field. I like this idea.

I'm all for it... but you kinda get a pre battle deployment phase... it will take some time before the enemy troops get to you(although horsemen come rather quickly).
Maybe if they make the maps a bit larger you get a nice "breathing time" where you can deploy and check the terrain before the enemies reach you.

Although, it would be nice if the defending side would get like 10 seconds before the enemies arrive like "Enemy Reinforcements has arrived" only it's
their first wave.

(was this supposed to have been moved to King's court or Privy Council?)

I'm not sure if it would really have much of an effect, seeing as any order to charge would break the formations anyway. I heartilly agree with the idea about picking your forces though!

Toxicity said:
I'm all for it... but you kinda get a pre battle deployment phase... it will take some time before the enemy troops get to you(although horsemen come rather quickly).
Maybe if they make the maps a bit larger you get a nice "breathing time" where you can deploy and check the terrain before the enemies reach you.

Although, it would be nice if the defending side would get like 10 seconds before the enemies arrive like "Enemy Reinforcements has arrived" only it's
their first wave.

deployment in a castle defenses would be great! First you get a warning like" Scouts reporting a enemy army marching this way, they will be her in 1 min!" And then you got 1 min to deployment!

I'm not sure if it would really have much of an effect, seeing as any order to charge would break the formations anyway

I don't know about you guys, but I tend to defend. Quickly pick a spot to line my infantry, then pick a higher point behind them for my missile troops, with cav off to the side ready to flank the enemy cav. Being able to set this up in deployment would be easier and more precise. I actually don't mind doing it real-time, but there is often not much time before the enemy cavalry arrive. It's a shame that the enemy AI doesn't march or use basic formations.

No, depending on the odds stacked against them they seem to play defensive sometime, at least up to a point. Many times I see infantry marching with the cav in front at a slow walk until I close enough distance for them to charge. And Ive seen npc's hiding behind walls of infantry.

Lanky said:
No, depending on the odds stacked against them they seem to play defensive sometime, at least up to a point. Many times I see infantry marching with the cav in front at a slow walk until I close enough distance for them to charge. And Ive seen npc's hiding behind walls of infantry.

I LOVE this. I've so wanted to see historical
use of mixed forces.

They do now.

They haven't been doing it for me. I am mostly fighting pirates and bandits which you would expect would be unorganised, but I can't recall the faction armies doing any differently. Even if they do to a degree, it still needs to be improved. If I'm all that is left of my force and am on a horse, they shouldn't be chasing me and leaving themselves scattered and vulnerable, they should group together and either force me to suicide myself or wait until I'm bored and leave.

Just had this happen to me again in an epic battle. The king of swadia (Can't recall the chaps name) took his force and waited on the highest bit of ground on the map. I picked my own high ground for my archers, with infantry behind and then had to go bait him with my cav for him to even move off his hill at all. When I finally got within 50 yds he and his cav charged down at me to great effect. I eventually pulled my cav back behind my footsloggers and watched my archers tear into his remaining cav and infantry. That was such an awesome battle.

Thats a great idea

After all we got spotting and tracking and pathfing enabled.

It should be assumed that the area was scouted to a certain extent.

You  should be able to preposition groups in an inteligent fashion.

I'm really anoyed when horses start up on mountain clifs. this make no sense. horse shouldn't even be allowed to walk there. I'm not even sure mountain goat can go there.

I'm talking those hugue, very tall, 70+ degree slope with a rock texture.

there was some interesting concepts in Realms of Mayhem. Something a bit more sophisticated would be nice. and more orders too. and coordination with allies and some sort of command stucture.

maybe even medics to carry out the wounded  :razz:

Astarsis said:
Thats a great idea

After all we got spotting and tracking and pathfing enabled.

It should be assumed that the area was scouted to a certain extent.

You  should be able to preposition groups in an inteligent fashion.

I dont think you should be able to do this every battle, after all if trying to avoid battle, I wont slow down to scout for good positions. Maybe this could happen when two partys are running toward each other on the world map (ie they both want to battle) because if im running after or away from anyone else I dont think its realistic to start in good positions.

I agree horses shouldn't start of massive slopes though.

Dosiere said:
There are really two options I think would just be awesome for Mount and Blade, the first has been discussed before, sorry if the second has as well I didn't find anthing under search.

1) You know that when you initiate hostile contact, you are taken to a dialogue screen where you basically say fight or retreat.  How about either before or after that you have the ability to actually pick your forces.  Rather than just going by the order your troops are listed, you can finally pick individual troops out.  "5 Archers, 5 Footmen, and say 2 companions" and so forth.  It seems to me (i'm not a programmer or anything though) that this would be possible (easy?) to implement into the current game.  Would be nice for sure!

2) An actual in battle deployment phase.  You are taken to the battlefield, and your troops are spawned as well.  However, the enemy is not spawned yet and you only have a small area that you can traverse.  Now, this option would be really cool now that we are getting some formations in the game.  Before this would have been just fluff since everyone just charges anyway - but it would be so nice to be able to mess with the formations out of combat and get your archers set up and such.  I imagine this would take some work but especially if formations continue to improve it would be amazing!

Anyway, what do you think?

(edit) - Posted in the wrong forum!  :oops:  Could someone move it over to suggestions for me?

Not bad ideas, I suppose. Though I prefer to get into battle as quick as possible with as many forces as possible... I don't want to pick 5 archers, I want the whole stack. Though it might be nice to pick what stacks you want, would probably be of limited usefulness though. You typically want everyone you can get, unless having too many troops would be hard to manage. Even against 6 river pirates, you don't really want to send only 6 guys if you have 12, if you lose some guys because you only sent 6, then you sent those men to their deaths needlessly.

As far as starting formations go, I do this already, and I like being able to see the enemy coming as I do it, so I know exactly where they are going... are they going to go over that hill, or just around it? I don't mind that they arrive fast, it gives some added challenge and a sense of urgency to forming up my troops.

What I would really like is more sensible terrain features, as someone mentioned earlier, horses up on a cliff for example. It's not only a matter of how to get down, but how the hell did they get UP there to begin with. I'd also like to see a new command, "hold your position" (as opposed to hold this position) e.g. instead of coming to your spot, they stop where they are and form up... the question would be who do they form up on and how, if they're scattered.

Back
Top Bottom