Plate armor cartwheels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Buxton said:
Swords and weapons are terribly heavy though. In some cases the armour might help to increase the speed of the swing, because as soon as you've got the sword moving, it's not going to stop.

Personally I don't think of 2.5 to 3.5 pounds as heavy.

The slowness of some weapons is kind of silly - weapon speed should mostly effect the preparation and recovery speed rather than the actual swing.

Buxton said:
Swords and weapons are terribly heavy though. In some cases the armour might help to increase the speed of the swing, because as soon as you've got the sword moving, it's not going to stop.
Like GreySaber said, I wouldn't consider 2.5-3.5 lbs "heavy". The swords actually feel much lighter than that if properly balanced, and stopping a blade mid-swing is not a problem, even with my XIIa Albion Baron, which is both on the big and heavy side with its 3 lbs 11 oz. It's a bit heavy for one handed use, but two handed it handles beautifully.

Here you have James Williams cutting with a single hander. Doesn't look very heavy to me.
http://www.albion-swords.com/cutting-knight.htm

I meant things like the two-handed bastard sword, and claymores, if they're not balanced, they're like sledgehammers.

Buxton said:
I meant things like the two-handed bastard sword, and claymores, if they're not balanced, they're like sledgehammers.

Ah. Claymores. Four pounds. Now that's heavy. http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/nextgen/sword-scottish-chieftain-xiia.htm

calandale said:
If they're not balanced, they shouldn't be called swords really. More hunks of useless metal.
Falchions, langseaxes, machetes, meat-cleavers.  Certainly not useless, but not in the same category as the standard sword;  they're mass weapons.

That is, assuming the fulcrum is out near the tip where it'll get good momentum.  An SLO that simply has a fulcrum moved down the blade a little is QUITE awkward:  it neither has the control of a well-balanced sword, not the impetus of a cleaver.

Eogan said:
Falchions, langseaxes, machetes, meat-cleavers.  Certainly not useless, but not in the same category as the standard sword;  they're mass weapons.

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/nextgen/sword-medieval-vassal-falchion.htm

A Falchion, 2 lbs 8.75 oz

GreySaber said:
Eogan said:

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/nextgen/sword-medieval-vassal-falchion.htm

A Falchion, 2 lbs 8.75 oz
Yes, but the issue here was balance, not weight. Falchions were indeed mass weapons, though I'm sure some were made better than others.

Amman de Stazia said:
Plate is by definition NOT flexible, so unless it is made with plenty clever joints, movement will be a bit stiff-limbed.
Chain is flexible, so only the weight is a factor.

Yup.  Weight only a little to do with speed or mobility.  The only reason a knight would not be able to stand is because of the lack of any joint at the waist and thighs.  If you were knocked down, the (tiny) range of movement at the mid-section would not allow you to get your legs under you to stand up.  This was actually intentional, as it supported a knight around the waist to keep him easily upright in the saddle without having to strain against the weight of the armor.  The armor kind of...held itself up.

Plebian said:
Yup.  Weight only a little to do with speed or mobility.  The only reason a knight would not be able to stand is because of the lack of any joint at the waist and thighs.  If you were knocked down, the (tiny) range of movement at the mid-section would not allow you to get your legs under you to stand up.  This was actually intentional, as it supported a knight around the waist to keep him easily upright in the saddle without having to strain against the weight of the armor.  The armor kind of...held itself up.
I beg your pardon, but this qualifies for a "huh?" The cuirass and greaves were not one single piece, which is what you are suggesting. There was no trouble for a knight to bend forward, turn from side to side, move in any which direction he wanted. Plate was actually less restrictive of mobility than maille was, precicely because of all the joints. Weight was evenly distributed, so there was no need for the armour to "hold itself up". The sort of armour you are describing would impose ridiculous limitations on mobility, which is of absolute importance in a fight.

Some tournament armor was pretty restrictive, I'd say that's where the confusion comes from. I've seen suits with one pauldron and the helmet both fixed in place, and I can imagine having trouble getting up in that gear. I can't, however, imagine going to a battle wearing it.

The late medieval armor had to be pretty bad too, given the contemporary descriptions of knights not being able to stand up when unhorsed in mud at Agincourt.

calandale said:
The late medieval armor had to be pretty bad too, given the contemporary descriptions of knights not being able to stand up when unhorsed in mud at Agincourt.

In that case I would suggest doing a bit more reading. When Agincourt was fought in 1415, full plate armour had only been around for a couple of decades, furthermore ALL the English men-at-arms (i.e. 'knights') and most of the French men-at-arms actually fought on FOOT! :smile:

What killed the French men-at-arms at Agincourt was bad tactics and overconfidence as well as the fact that Henry V was a superior commander. Full plate armour continued to be used right through the 15th and 16th century. Furthermore people forget that Agincourt was one of the LAST great English victories, thereafter the English lost more battles than they won:  the battle of Bauge, the Siege of Orleans, the battle of Formigny, the Battle of Castillon.

What killed off full plate armour was a lethal combination of pikemen and arquebusiers at the battle of Pavia in 1525, and even then full plate was used until the end of the 16th century.

calandale said:

Well yeah, but then almost naked people can have problems standing up in mud ....

Back
Top Bottom