[ENL] Winter Cycle: Custom Maps | Deadline Passed

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
6050922277_5b220689ed_o.png

6085754785_e13fb55a96_o.png

As mentioned before, I'm looking to incorporate some custom maps into this cycle of the ENL. Here's the info. Go ahead and get mapping!

Feel free to post in this thread, commenting on the guidelines below and any submissions that are made.

Creating a map fit for the ENL:
  • Ensure a reasonable level of balance. Symmetry is not essential and infact may be rather boring. Just make sure there are enough options for both teams, to ensure competitive play. A map with imbalances like Port Assault or Village should be avoided.
  • Modifications (including but not limited to alternate spawn points) to Native maps will be considered. However, try to make sure that the modifications you make give a very different feel to the map.
  • See this guide for information about spawn points: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,89831.0.html . Try to include as many of those as possible, to make the map viable on all game modes. Obviously, the essential ones are battle and master of the field entry points.
  • Use only Native scene props. That should be clear but these maps must be Native compatible.
  • No ugly **** or weird use of scene props. This is a little vague but I don't want to see props stretched out halfway across the map or a bunch of tables put together to make a hut (just random examples). The maps should have good aesthetics.
  • No excess detail. This ties in with the last point but I don't want to see a market place with 100 apples on each stall or anything like that. Keep performance in mind and try to find a balance.
  • Don't include credits or plugs. Don't spell out your name with scene props. This isn't appropriate.
  • Try to make your map clearly open or closed. To fit in with the ENL rules, the distinction here is quite important. Don't have a castle interior and next to a massive field.
  • On that note, no castle interiors. I don't think they're suitable for competitive play.
  • Think about what ought to be possible on your maps. Test for "glitches" yourself and place "barriers" appropriately. Although, by the same token, don't just put invisible walls in places that look like they could or should be accessible. Try to plan for these things and create your map to limit issues like this.
  • Try to keep them interesting. The maps don't need to be works of art but as Alex said, preferably avoid making a bunch of "Ruins" clones.
  • New maps are strongly preferred. If you are thinking of submitting a map from another mod or something... it will still be considered but new maps are much preferred, so that everyone is more or less, in the same position, with regards testing.
  • Avoid a clear, direct line of vision between spawns. The only map, in the ENL, that has this is "Ruins". It's not the end of the world but it reveals information about opposition classes and allows for missiles to be directly.
  • Don't make them too big. This is a common mistake.
  • Try not to include Flora as an essential feature. There are ways to remove it visually and it's best to avoid allowing cheaters, who would do such things, too much of an advantage. The same applies for piles of hay. Either avoid using them or place them lower, so that people can't "Hay Shark".
  • Don't bother with an AI mesh. Infact, it's better not to include one.
  • Don't use giant cliffs to signal the edge of your map. Be more inventive and create something that's believable. See Native maps for reference and how to handle the edge of maps.

Submitting a map for the ENL:
  • The fist thing to say is: Don't just submit whatever you end up making. Take a look at your map and if you don't like it, make another. It would be nice to have a decent amount of maps for consideration but please don't spam a heap**** of maps and expect me to just pick the best one for you.
  • The deadline for custom map submissions is 02/09/2011.
  • Each submission should include (I won't write a template):
    • The SceneObj file, hosted on any hosting site where it can be downloaded for free.
    • The Terrain Code and "outer terrain" used. If you don't know what this is... you shouldn't be submitting a map.
    • Multiple screenshots of the map (the more the better). Certainly one aerial view, with annotations pointing out spawns and flag points would be ideal. Any more screenshots will help, along with indications of where they are. A video flythrough, in addition, would be even better.
    • A written description of the map. It's up to you, how much to write. Make sure you're informative and write a fair amount but there's no point waffling or endlessly repeating yourself. Tactical analysis, for each spawn, as well as indication about which factions might do well/badly would be of value. Obviously there's no way to know this for sure, so don't worry too much about being accurate. Just try to give it some thought.
    • Any problems you think that it might have. Be honest here. We're trying to get some new maps for the community, so there's no sense in concealing what might be a terrible flaw in the map design.
  • Any submissions I like the look of will be put in the OP. Once the deadline is up, we can have some discussions and pick the best to be selected for possible use in the next cycle. At this point, I'll try to get them added to major public servers and I'll add them to ENL servers, so that teams can play practice scrims with them.

Closed Map - San'di'boush  (naming credit to Corsair...)

Aerial View:

6091683040_4ee39b51f3_o.jpg

Annotated Glamour Shots:

6091204863_b2f2eab171_o.jpg

6091204903_165f14ac73_o.jpg

6091747580_a05595697c_o.jpg

6091204973_a1cc674618_o.jpg

6091205003_3d963f8883_o.jpg

6091747664_def74d4f22_o.jpg

6091747702_18ea08a11c_o.jpg

6091747728_23d3b2db0e_o.jpg

6091205121_79c740fb50_o.jpg

Flythrough:

http://www.xfire.com/video/4cdb9b/

Flythrough of San'di'boush ENL map submission. Begins with an aerial view of the map. Then the camera flys down into a courtyard. From there it moves through the first spawn and round towards the marketplace. After a brief look at the marketplace, the camera goes down a side alley, into the graveyard. The camera flys through the graveyard and out through the second exit, then down into the second spawn. Continuing through the second spawn, the camera moves through another archway and into the low road/slum. Then the camera returns to the courtyard seen, when it first swooped down and moves from there into the market place. The camera circles the market place, giving full view of the area before rising up back into an aerial view.

Description:

A small map, with a lot of tight corners. A central market place is the most open area of the map, also home to the central flag. To the side of the market place, down an alleyway, is the graveyard (flag 3 location), which also connects directly to the second spawn. There is a raisable ladder, which allows players to get over the wall, from the market place into the graveyard. You will receive fall damage, when dropping down. On the other side of the market place is a courtyard, overlooking the first spawn and also connecting directly to the low road/slum, which houses flag 2. The low road is a medium width passage, with a catwalk running across the centre, accessible from both sides. The other end of the low road connects directly to spawn 2, with a raisable ladder going up to the marketplace, in between.

Tactical:

Probably an infantry heavy map. Given the large amount of obstacles/cover/corners, archers won't be able to sit and shoot much. There are good places for archers/xbows though and I think potential for them to be used effectively. Cavalry will have a very difficult time on this map. Navigating around on horseback will be very difficult, given the tight turns and elevation. Many routes that can be used on foot (narrow/steep stairways, ladders) will be unavailable to horsemen.

Flag positions could prove difficult to defend. Spawns are basically deathraps. This map has been designed to prevent camping, with several camp-breaking features added. How it works out in matches remains to be seen.

Potential Issues:

No idea what performance is like. If the fires are giving people problems, they can always go. I've been fairly sensible and the map isn't too large so for most systems, it should be too much of a stretch. Savings could probably also be made by removing some foliage.

Cavalry may be completely redundant, which isn't really ideal.

Download:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/20724344/scn_multi_scene_enl_1.rar - RAR File size: 41 kb - Map File size: 82 kb

Terrain code: 0x000000005000d795000350d4000011a4000017ee0000440d

Outer Terrain: "outer_terrain_desert"

named after an ancient iranian legend regarding a goat, a toothpick, and a small forest fire. or possibly i just thought it sounded funny. it's definitely one of those.

Performance issues are related to the number of props rather then file/map size.
Nice work, seems like a nice closed and fast map.

corey43 said:
So, this is in the winter cycle for definite?
captain lust said:
[*]Any submissions I like the look of will be put in the OP. Once the deadline is up, we can have some discussions and pick the best to be selected for possible use in the next cycle. At this point, I'll try to get them added to major public servers and I'll add them to ENL servers, so that teams can play practice scrims with them.

Maynd said:
Performance issues are related to the number of props rather then file/map size.
Nice work, seems like a nice closed and fast map.
And the detail of the props... An overall polycount or preferably some kind of performance calulator in the map editor would be a welcome feature.

As modus said, this is just my submission. I'm hoping for some more, by the deadline. Getting a map to feel right can take a long time, especially if you're not experienced with the editor and I don't think everyone has as much spare time to throw at this as I do :razz:.

I'll probably submit one or two open maps as well. No doubt, they'll take a lot less time.

RRush_Mia said:
I think submission deadline must be postponed for creating good maps. Short time = Undetail maps (my suggestion: 09/09/2011)

I'd agree with this. Not really sure how many maps you'll get by the 2nd.

Regarding lust's map: the main problem I'd see with it would be its use on public servers. It seems like it could be a little too small, for example on IG_Battlegrounds with 40-50 players on.

I don't think cavalry would be entirely unusable or w/e on that map, in much the same way as they're not on Port Assault, or Nord Town.

Closed Map - Arabian City

Overview:

bersichtc.jpg

Screenshots:

aussenansicht.jpg

mb9k.jpg

dorfplatz2.jpg

dorfplatz.jpg

seitengasse.jpg

flagge2.jpg

seitenstrae.jpg

flagge1p.jpg

unterfhrung.jpg

burghof2.jpg

burghof.jpg

Description:

The map consists of four parts. The townsquare with the main street up to the castle with only it's courtyard accessible. These are sided by a small side alley and a bigger side street that leads to an underpass to the courtyard. The teams spawn on opposite sides, one down at the townsquare, the other in the courtyard. The first team has many opportunities like climbing some houses or spreading out into the alleys. The second team can rush through the gatehouse into the main street and spread out then or take the underpass into the side street. The Tower may be a tactically very important spot, but both teams normally should reach the ladders up there at the same time...

Tactical:

This will be a infantry heavy, closed map. The roofs and the tower of course give archers a good stand and the main street is straight and broad. Probably crossbows are at the advantage, as in most “town” maps. Cavalry may not be completely useless, cause every spot – except the underpass – is reachable on horseback and the townsquare and main street are wide enough for manoeuvring.
The Flag positions are spread over the map and mostly lie open, so camping them will be not to easy. Furthermore the map is so small, that every flag can be reached from every point in seconds.
I hope it is well balanced.

Potential Issues:

On one way up to the tower there is a spot where you have to jump over a fence. The jump is easy and the way is completely obvious. But such things are uncommon...
The map is complex and so are all the barriers I had to place do prevent glitching. I tested everything long and good, but maybe there is some glitch left, that a pro-glitcher might find. (Well this shouldn't be a problem, we have lot's of glitches in the vanilla maps, too :grin: )
I haven't tested it on balance! (just in my mind)

Download:

Link: http://www.speedshare.org/download.php?id=7684CCEA11

Terrain key: "0x0000000250001d630005114300006228000053bf00004eb9"
Outer terrain: "outer_terrain_desert"

Closed Map - Seaport

Overview:

bersichtv.jpg

Screenshots:

brckez.jpg

stadtm.jpg

dorfs.jpg

spawn1z.jpg

schiffm.jpg

brcke2.jpg

geheimgang.jpg

marktplatz.jpg

gassen.jpg

geheimgang2.jpg

gassen2.jpg

burgtor2.jpg

spawn2n.jpg

Description:

This is map basically consist of two parts: The village on one side of the river and the city on the other side. The village is just a cluster of houses surrounded by a wooden palisade. And there is the pier, where a ship has landed. The city instead consists of alleys and courtyards spread out through the high frame-work houses and the castle walls. There is also a small marketplace and a tunnel that leads down to the water. From there you can reach the bridge pier an climb up to the top of the bridge. The first team spawns in the village and can only advance over the bridge. The second team spawns in a courtyard at the other side of the city. It will spread out through the alleys and then choose to take the tunnel or to climb the small accessible part of the castle, that flanks the bridge on the city-side.

Tactical:

This is a bigger kind of closed map. Here cavalry may also be useful: The bridge is the most important zone in the map and horsemen can charge over it. Because of the long distance over the river, archers will also be very helpful, but the infantry can take good cover behind the high sidewalls of the bridge. Although, in the narrow alleys of the city, infantry will rule.
The spawnpoints are very different: For team one – if they don't want to camp - , there is only the way over the bridge. But at the top of it, some may go down the bridge pillar to reach the tunnel. The others will come down the other side of the bridge at the same time the enemies reach the marketplace and get in sight of them.
The second team can advance straight to the marketplace and the bridge. If they don't, they may spread out over the alleys and courtyards and wait for the enemy to infiltrate the city. Or they choose the tunnel, the sideway up to the bridge.
On this map every flagspawn will have his own tactic: Flag 1, on the ship, is defenceless against archers on the bridge, at the castle or at the tunnel entrance. Flag 2, on top of the bridge, is very well accessible from both sides and even from down at the bride pier, so from three sides. Also, cavalry can charge at it. Flag 3 is in a courtyard in the city. Only one way in and not much space. Attackers will have to really crush through here to win.

Potential Issues:

The map is really not very small. And because of the alleys, not so clear.
Team two, the one spawning in the city, has good spots for camping. But the flagspawns could compensate that, only one is in this “camp-friendly” zone.
EDIT: This map is big, and especially the forest and the wheatfields may cause performance problems. If so, they'll simply have to be removed.

Download:

Link: http://www.speedshare.org/download.php?id=00C9FADD11

Terrain key: "0x000000013003d7e30005053f00003b4e0000146300006e84"
Outer terrain: "outer_terrain_beach"

Looking forward to comments and the selection!
Greetings, Corran.

pro.faiL said:
But these maps will be only ENL maps right? So non-native maps.
Well my hope is that they'll be introduced to the competitive scene. I'll be putting them on the ENL servers, so people can get some practice on them before the next cycle. Ideally, they'd get onto some public servers too. I'm not sure about IG's stance, since they left the league and I haven't spoken to them but I hope they'll get on board.

Also thinking about running a small tournament on the maps, during the break. Maybe 7 a side or something like that. Just a thought.

Won't really suitable for testing but at least it'll give people a chance to get to know them.

I think 40-50 people would actually be fine. The action is probably less concentrated than Port Assault. Nord Town has the campy aspect which relieves pressure on the centre and this map probably lacks that.

Mupf aka Miwiw said:
We already discussed taking your maps on our server. If they are nice balanced they will even stay forever. :smile:
That is truly precious :lol:. But seriously, much appreciated.

@Corran: Good to see some more maps. I guess we snapped on the Arabian theme. Seemed an obvious choice, what with the unused props I guess, so not much of a surprise :razz:. Yours looks great too.

I'm not sure about Sea Port though. Might have to veto it right now for a couple of reasons:

-The river. I'm not sure how it will work etc. or if you've place barriers to stop people going in the water. If you haven't I think there might be a huge problem, killing people who jump into the river, also there might be a problem getting out of the river. If you have placed barriers that's not perfect either. I did say that I wanted to avoid having lots of invisible walls, especially in places that look accessible.

-There also seems to be some questionable geometry on the bridge. It looks a little stretched out and there are some clipping errors.

-The maps might also have a few too many hiding places and as you said, it could be a little big.

-I think you mentioned the trees and wheat. I know they could be quite easily removed and they would definitely have to be. They could cause some major performance issues.

It's a shame because you've clearly given the map some thought and it has great aesthetics but I think I'll veto it for the ENL. Perhaps it would be a nice map for potenital big battle events etc.

@Tem: I lol'd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom