Sword to sword Interactions

Users who are viewing this thread

SealTeam

Recruit
It seems a little strange to me that when i swing my sword it often passes clean through my opponent's weapon, as he swings it, and proceeds to remove his head.

Now, if two people made the same swing, wouldn't the swords clash?

Either they should bounce back, or they could enter into a star wars: Jedi knight 'saber clash' battle of strength sort of contest, and force the loser to recoil breifly.
Any sort of sword interaction would add a large degree of realism to the game and a great new element during fights, rather than 'haha i hit block so i'm invincible! :grin:'
Just a suggestion, happy for any feedback (you've probably all got better ideas than me but you get what i think the problem is)
:smile:

I like the idea of swords being able to hit each other, though 'mash the button till your opponent falls down' isn't too appealing.

Yeah...what I would like is physics on this. But that's never going to happen imho. I wouldn't mind if it was only applied to the player and opponent or in some specific LOD...
But it would be great.
No non-realistic animation blocks like sword on sword in 90 angle. No shortsword stopping a warhammer...that would be great.
But I think atm we have to stick with the animations (which could be done better and in a more realistic way imho.)

I hate that button mashing sequence, how about, ..., some kind of 'trick' to get through the block, like kicking (well only if you have light armor)

Or, when the swords are about to clash, automatically enter the bullet-time sequence where you need to think and act on how to defeat the enemy, like changing the attacking direction suddenly, or dodge, or whatever.

What about your stats helping decide the outcome? For example if you have high strenght, you will be able to overpower your opponent by holding down the attack to throw them on the ground, but if you have high agility, you can strafe to your left / right, and release the sword so your opponent falls over.. This would make an agile player who is not nessesary as strong overpower stronger ones, but at the same time a mistake would be fatal. Same goes vice versa ::\

Or maybe not? Just coming up with dumb ideas in a brainstorm ::razz:

I don't think it's really a good gameplay mechanic. Swords clanging off each other during swings is great, getting immobilized in a button mashing contest while someone else just walks around you and skewers your back is not.

ah no i didn't mean button mashing like the star wars version, i just meant the same sort of clash. Having it based on stats, the power of the actual swing, and talents (power attack, weapon master) would make sense. Plus a nice helping of luck of course :smile: but not too much

comparing strength, weapon type and feats of both fighters could be a good way to apply block breaking (which armagan doesn't want I hear).
I wonder if we could do something about the animations when there's the supportt now. God, I have to learn how to do it.

Volkier has some good ideas there. I usually block a little, mostly dodge and counterattack.

Dodging is annoying, and the Zendar Trainer lies.

You CAN rush in to battle swinging wildly and emerge the victor.

You just need a charger and a balanced sword of war.

The only thing I dodge, would be arrows.  Without a shield anyway.

If I am on foot, I block, don't dodge, an enemy that's swinging at me. 

Oh. I was talking about fighting on foot. On horse it is easier to block with a shield.
Dodging on foot and counterattacking looks cool and is very easy way to kill almost every opponent.

If you try to block a giant hammer with your crappy arming sword that you found at K-Mart, you should get knocked the hell down. Simple as that. Or at least recoiled back about five feet. If both opponents clash swords, they should sort of recoil back.

CrazyEyes said:
If you try to block a giant hammer with your crappy arming sword that you found at K-Mart, you should get knocked the hell down. Simple as that. Or at least recoiled back about five feet. If both opponents clash swords, they should sort of recoil back, or, if you push a certain button that pops up on the screen (kind of like Resident Evil 4 cinema sequences), it makes the other opponent recoil but not you. Or you could do a strength check.

Well, in an honest-to-goodness fight, the weapons aren't hitting each other as much as we often imagine. They can actually get damaged pretty easily, and from what I understand parrying is quite a tricky business. Mostly you just get out of the way. What I would really like is for, when one person has an attack poised, the enemy backpedals until out of range and readies an attack. That way, since blocking is really not the best option, and the enemy is stepping back so that he can get his swing started hopefully while you're swinging at air, you can raise your longsword and look from enemy to enemy, threatening them, keeping them back with your superior range.

I say -- not more clangery, but more footwork is what this game needs.

ehm. Not much time for fancy footwork in most of my battles.
I know what you mean, but this isn't fencing. This is battle. In training I try to avoid hard blocks for I don't want my weapon to be damaged. In battle I don't give a **** for I want to live.
if you read my post better, you would have noticed that I dislike the hard clang blocks that are already in and that I want to change them.
I already use footwork like you described, but you probably meant other comp. controlled fighters to use it. Well..I can's disagree with that :smile:

. . . which would stop the "leg-humping", and cause battles to play out much more naturally.

The thing gamers of all sorts don't really recognize is that absolutely no one wants to get hurt. That's the real reason berserkers are so dangerous. But in every damn game ever, every fighter is a berserker. I didn't mind it in DOOM, but this is a different story. A river pirate values his own well-being above all else -- that's why he's a criminal.

The only swordfights I like, in the entire history of videogames, are those in Prince of Persia. Why, I think I'll go play that right now.

Nobody (berzerkers aside) wants to get hurt, but all these kniggits n such want to be valiant heroes n all that crap, so they carelessly throw themselves in to battle and get their arms chopped off (It's just a scratch!)

As Merlkir said, this isn't fencing, and even in fencing, you have "clangery."

Saber vs. Saber is bound to have "clangery," and pretty much all of the swords in M&B are slashing, cutting weapons, and not thrusting weapons.

Clangery makes it all more dramatic n such, too. Nice to have some of that once in a while.

Of course, the noblemen value their pretty faces above all else. That's why the Black Knight is so ridiculous.

We really do have the tendency to imagine swords bouncing off one another a lot more than they really did. No one who knows anything about history can watch action movies because actors always attack the opponent's weapon, not the opponent. That makes you lose. Even a sport fencer knows that.

Soul Calibur is a fun game. I like it. But in a real swordfight, the defensive reaction isn't "Block button!" it's "I'm outta here!"

To put it in disgusting terminology: if there is permadeth I max my DEX bonus.

If the situations the OP described could result in a relatively elegant representation of weapon-binding, that would be great. Barring that, however, my opinion is that improved footwork should take priority.

How about shattering weapons? If this feature is implemented, I'd like to see shattering weapons. After a lock, you get a small chance that your normal weapon would be bent or cracked. If you have a cracked or bent weapon, you might have broken it.
This gives a new opportunity: blocking with bows. If the hit is strong enough, your bow might bet cracked or even shattered.

Back
Top Bottom