Ladies to power! Emancipating Pendor.

Users who are viewing this thread

I think there should be female nobles in Pendor (like a Queen or Countess). Currently there is only the pretender of Ravenstern, who is a female character with chances to come to power. Seeing that she was rightfully named as heiress to the throne by the old King, she might get support from other nobles, even if there are no female nobles (similar to Empress Maud in medieval England, who failed to come to power as monarch, but came close by installing her son as rightful heir of the King of England, Stephen).

A female player however, would have practically no chances of being accepted in the solely male dominated hierarchy of Pendor. At least I would think so, as I know of no very influential (as in Queen or Empress) female sovereigns from medieval times.

One option for the female player is to find male nobles, who think emancipated and would follow a women. This would be unlikely without something like a rethinking in regards to the rights of women happening in Pendor. Even very liberal males would most likely not have such extreme views (in context of the time and general way of thinking), such as allowing a women, a gender thought to be inferior by the ruling class (ie. men), to rule the united Kingdom of Pendor. These liberal thinking male nobles would maybe include their wives in governmental affairs or ask them for advice, but I don't think they would follow a female Queen.

The other option I could think of, besides emancipation, would be a claim like the Ravenstern pretender (forgot her name) has. As every faction - even Pendor - has a pretender, the player can't claim to be the rightful ruler or heir of a kingdom and hope for the support of lords. They wouldn't support some unknown person, who claims to be their king, but hasn't anything to back up that claim and is moreover a female.

I think, that the female player couldn't become a sovereign in the current Pendor. Of course the game treats male and female characters the same in regards to founding a kingdom and so on, but in my opinion female players don't fit into the current Pendor as nobles. So to make the concept of player-controlled female nobles more fitting to Pendors cultu(res), maybe more computer-controlled female nobles could be added to PoP. Like Countess Emma, Duchess Henriette, Jarlesse Brunhilde (what is the female form or counterpart of Jarl, if there even is one?). This would make player-controlled female vassals and sovereigns much more plausible and add to the game IMO, as some female allies or enemies would enhance the male dominated Pendor.

Oh man. Getting chopped by Valkyries and shot in the face by Maiden Cavalry wasn't women's lib enough for ya? A mod featuring Kaverra the Castrator really doesn't need all that much more girl power imho :lol:

Joking aside, the whole social structure of Pendor seems quite brittle and ripe for major revolutionary changes. Your question is really a matter of lore, but with all the priestesses and Valkyries and not-housewives it certainly seems that Pendor is a place where a woman would have a fine shot at becoming someone of importance. The men running Pendor don't really seem all that patriarchal, and when I survey battlefields littered with female fighters I'd say there's not much in the way of chivalric protecting-the-weakling-fairer-sex ego ethics at work. This issue is certainly a ball worth kicking around.

(hehe)

Actually one of the few orders I kept in tact after my destruction of Pendor was the Lady Valkyries because of the effort they put into defendeing the Feidersvain

In theory having more female soldiers is a fantastic idea. There is however one problem that I can see, the dreaded 900 maximum items. By adding more female types to the game one of two  things happens, either you decimate the ranks of existing troops to create male and female versions of a smaller number of troops types, or you have women running about in male armor/or all in the same armor... which is just blah...

I think there are plenty of 'non-female mesh' armours that look just fine on women (ie. armours that don't make them look fat or their bum look big or that make them look like Arnie) ... the buckled plate armour being a good example. Mail surcoats and tabards being another.

Also there are quite a few 'female mesh' armours already in the game but female adventurers seem to hog them all. The only ones i often see (besides the jerkin and mail) are the fierdsvain ones ie, the cleopatra one and the cobalt one.

To clarify: I don't mean that I think that there are not enough female troops in Pendor, but rather not enough female noblewomen like a Queen of Ravenstern or a Jarlesse Henriette of the Fierdsvain. I believe the only female leader or otherwise high-placed female of major and minor factions is Maltise of the Dread Legion. All other major faction lords and minor faction heroes are male, which would make becoming sovereign of all Pendor a tad unrealistic for a female player in my eyes. Also it would be much more interesting to be slain by "Countess Mathilda" than by a random Valkyrie or to have that same Countess swear homage to you and slay your enemies.

Sibilance said:
Joking aside, the whole social structure of Pendor seems quite brittle and ripe for major revolutionary changes. Your question is really a matter of lore, but with all the priestesses and Valkyries and not-housewives it certainly seems that Pendor is a place where a woman would have a fine shot at becoming someone of importance. The men running Pendor don't really seem all that patriarchal, and when I survey battlefields littered with female fighters I'd say there's not much in the way of chivalric protecting-the-weakling-fairer-sex ego ethics at work. This issue is certainly a ball worth kicking around.

That is true. However the lack of chivalric protecting-the-weakling-fairer-sex ego ethics doesn't necessarily mean that the males would follow women as leaders, only that they don't mind using them as cannon fodder. I think Pendor is indeed not completely unemancipated*, but that the emancipation has not yet influenced the ruling lords enough so that they would follow a female leader. One can of course include emancipation or the lack of it in the lore, but I think simply adding some female "lords" would suggest to the player that Pendor has been emancipated.

* What is the correct negative form of emancipation?

I actually think you are right, the women of Pendor tend to be just as able bodied and can match most male units blow for blow. Women nobles seem like they would fit better in the Feidersvain, The Empire, and Ravenstern. Feidersvain because I'm pretty sure its a meritocracy where the best and strongest gain the most influence and who's to say a Lady Valkyrie couldn't be a stepping stone to Jarlhood. The leaders of the Empire are chosen by Democracy (I'm almost sure it is at least.) And all it would take for an empress  would be a strong platform and strong political backing (or according to the pretender by deceit and subterfuge). Ravenstern because of all the places they seem the most independent and likelihood of forward thinking even if just to spite the other nations.
Not emancipated I think is the correct form btw

Hmm dictionary doesn't list an antonym for emancipate, so I guess enslave/disenfranchise/oppress would work?

Anyhow, I mistook your meaning in the OP. Female lords would be cool, there should definitely be at least a Valkyrie commander or too in the Fierdvain ranks!

I'm not read up with the existing lore of the factions but i could invisage the Fierdsvain and Ravernstern having female 'Lordesses'(ladies).

If both factions indeed are loosely based on a scandinavian and saxon influence then, well, it wasn't unheard of.

^^^Great post. *slow clap*

There are a few important females leading armies: nobody's yet mentioned
The 3 Seeresses, or the lore's priestesses of of the Snake Goddess. Ssss. My name isss Sibliance. :grin:

Some noble titles for ideas:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_and_noble_ranks

No female form of earl or jarl; it was rendered as "countess" or equivalent.

Yes, there should be more female nobles.
I was pretty happy to see valkyries and more female heroes (+maiden adventurers and such), but I do think there could be quite a few more nobles added to the equation.
Why aren't there anyway?
Any answer hovering around the "it ain't real" thing, is plain stupidity.
Women have fought in wars, and still do, and besides... want me to make a list of M&B features that aren't real or even slightly possible?

So, IMO:

at least 1 woman leader and quite a few more women nobles.

Thanks.

The ultimative dream of mine would be that a King is a King as long he is successful; oaths are removed with royal heads chopped off or with other triggers, and with the (agree on it) female lords  -  a Queen or Empress is possible, as the successor is the one chopping off the head or plain more renown (acquired).

For just some more permanent un-knightly and un-noble Lords (female or not) I must say that my heart can't get warm with it :oops:

Why has no-one mentioned the unrealistic standards of beauty and female body shape being perpetuated by the female armor designs?  Studies have shown increasing instances of young Pendorian women being treated for eating disorders so they can fit into the Valkyrie armor designs, it is a disturbing trend that is a greater plague 'gainst Pendor than the snake-cult (at least their priestesses have comfortable, more forgiving robes).

Sarpedon said:
Why has no-one mentioned the unrealistic standards of beauty and female body shape being perpetuated by the female armor designs?  Studies have shown increasing instances of young Pendorian women being treated for eating disorders so they can fit into the Valkyrie armor designs, it is a disturbing trend that is a greater plague 'gainst Pendor than the snake-cult (at least their priestesses have comfortable, more forgiving robes).

LIES! We all know that the Valkyrie armor is form fitting, as in, it makes your form fit it :grin:

Of Course. How can nobody remember the Great Siege of Ravenstern in which the Chubby league of Valkyrie's fought bravely against the evil Marquess.

Back
Top Bottom