• Yes.

Votes: 254 37.5%
  • No.

Votes: 289 42.6%
  • Wrong answer

Votes: 135 19.9%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm not sure, but it would make sense that an engine designed to rev to 9000rpm like my bike would have a lot of overlap. I'm pretty sure you can get flames just by running rich and having a short clean exhaust, like on my bike, which has no cat, or resonator. Just header to muffler, essentially.

My engine, designed to work from 650 to 4000 RPM, has no overlap from the factory, and thus never spits fire, short of misfiring plugs. You need to be throwing unburnt fuel into the exhaust, or in rare cases igniting unburnt gasses in there, to get backfires.

Seff said:
Spitting flames indicates a lot of lobe overlap, doesn't it?

No its mainly an issue of the ECU putting in more fuel than needed. It could be due to a vac hose that's blown off, misfire from old plugs (changing those out soon) or coilpacks, or just that its tuned that way. Bear in mind that this is happening backing off at more than 7000rpm making 400hp... that's a fair bit of Ethanol.

If it has vtec,  then "tuned that way" means the overlap is being reduced too late. Or the timing advance doesn't follow the vtec, making for ignition with an open exhaust valve when you back off.

My 1989 Designed, early 80's based nissan engine doesn't have Vtec... :lol:
There's a few companies doing kits to have variable exhaust cam timing now though, adapting from the non RB26 engines which did end up getting it in the mid 90's for some reason, something I'll look into when I do the rebuild though.

Seff, my engine is port injected. even if there were cam overlap, the fuel would only be there when the injectors fire and not at any other time.

Sneakster: I had no idea who made Vtec, only what it is. :razz: Is the FI batch fire or sequential? If it's batch fire, fuel could be in the runner/port for a long time. Overlap coupled with bad timing (maybe due to vacuum increase after the sudden lack of air) could ignite anything at the wrong time.

Tibertus: Yup. :lol:

It's just an ignition issue. Developed a miss under load after the weekend, so i'm throwing out the plugs that were already in there and getting some with a cooler heat range to suite the E85 more.

Tibertus said:
Muscle guys just think all Japanese cars are rebadged Hondas.

Oh right.

oqKpxlP.jpg

Hehe, nice one.

I spent last tuesdays evening changing the left A-arm, took me a good 4-5 hours just getting it out. Had to cut through the entire suspension to even reach it, but it saved me a whole load of money doing it myself.  :grin:

Sir Hitson Winsler said:
Why are you using the steel wheels from a van?

I couldn't afford alloy wheels when I bought it, so I painted them instead of having the rachet wheel covers on. Personally I like them, but I do have alloy wheels now as I buckled one steel one on a kerb.

The alloys for this are expensive because it's a bizarre size (4x114.3) which is the fitment for many 90's Jap sports cars, meaning any that come up for sale are often bought for drift spares.

Back
Top Bottom