Why throwing?

Users who are viewing this thread

wannyboy

Sergeant
What is use of throwing? You got low ammo, low accuracy, low range, and damage not that high while it takes lots of skill points. Only advantage i could find was shield, changing to melee and that is takes only 1 slot

If you dont play MP, there is no good reason to use throwing weapons.

For the AI however its an interesting addition, especially interesting/challenging when going up against a large number of Searaiders, Tundra bandits or Vaegirs(or some others with throwing weapons).

In MP, it gives footppl and some cavalry a ranged option and can be quite useful.

It isn't that great in singleplayer due to the low ammo, it is good in multiplayer.

The good thing is that you can use throwing even if you only have one available slot, whereas bows and crossbows require a slot for the weapon and a slot for the ammunition.

Vermin said:

:neutral:

Funny you should say that. What with it being ludicrous, and all. In by far most of my single player campaigns I went with shield, one hander, lance, horse, and a throwing weapon for the last weapon slot. The good reason was that it gave some ranged possibility without having to sacrifice other gear.

FrisianDude said:
Vermin said:

Funny you should say that. What with it being ludicrous, and all.
I'm with the Frisian.
Throwing weapons also fit well into certain RP-based builds to great effect. A Nord with a two handed axe, a huscarl shield, and two stacks of the best throwing axes available is quite a good time, for instance. Similar builds are possible for other throwing weapons. Hitting X allows you to turn any into a one handed weapon for tight spots.

FrisianDude said:
Vermin said:

Funny you should say that. What with it being ludicrous, and all. In by far most of my single player campaigns I went with shield, one hander, lance, horse, and a throwing weapon for the last weapon slot. The good reason was that it gave some ranged possibility without having to sacrifice other gear.

I never use throwing weapons, too few of them, often for only limited effect. And from previous discussions regarding throwing weapons I remember that only very few ppl use throwing weapons in SP. You're a tiny minority if you do use them.

Vermin said:

For the AI however its an interesting addition, especially interesting/challenging when going up against a large number of Searaiders, Tundra bandits or Vaegirs(or some others with throwing weapons).

In MP, it gives footppl and some cavalry a ranged option and can be quite useful.

Besiege a Sarranid castle and you will become a pincushion. :roll:

I agree that throwing weapons come in too few numbers to be considered effective, yet I still usually carry some throwing axes in SP as I mostly play on foot and they give me some limited ranged ability. I mostly use them for role playing purposes though - Throwing them in to the enemy mid-charge etc.

Sure from a technical stand point it sucks ass. But it's extremely fun to use, and headshots look more impressive.

Gaunt said:
It isn't that great in singleplayer due to the low ammo, it is good in multiplayer.
I missed this. If you're taking a defensive position at your spawn, you can personally reload them with your inventory chest, so they're very useful there. I think we just need more skirmisher type troops to show how well they can decimate.

MadocComadrin said:
I missed this. If you're taking a defensive position at your spawn, you can personally reload them with your inventory chest, so they're very useful there. I think we just need more skirmisher type troops to show how well they can decimate.

I love throwing weapons, and I do use them in SP.  Still I don't think it's hard to agree that they're nowhere as near as effective as a bow would be.  They lack the range and you can't carry enough of them.  Early on they are helpful I suppose, but by midgame you are fighting against hundreds of soldiers and 6 or 7 kills isn't anything to speak of.  With a bow and high powerdraw you could have easily taken out 10 or 15 before they even got in throwing range. 

Despite their handicap, I really do like to play with throwing weapons.  One spot they DO excel at in SP is in tournaments.  I found that all those times when you get stuck with the crappy javs are actually really awesome when you have a bunch of points in powerthrow  :lol:
I just dismount, take cover behind my horse and start chucking.  I wish you could carry that many javs all the time without cheating. 

Helz said:
I love throwing weapons, and I do use them in SP.  Still I don't think it's hard to agree that they're nowhere as near as effective as a bow would be.  They lack the range and you can't carry enough of them.  Early on they are helpful I suppose, but by midgame you are fighting against hundreds of soldiers and 6 or 7 kills isn't anything to speak of.  With a bow and high powerdraw you could have easily taken out 10 or 15 before they even got in throwing range. 

At range, yes you would get more kills, but throwing weapons are slightly faster at close range and do more damage to shields, so if you're by your chest, they can really come in handy.

Also, since they do more damage to shields, having a few ranks of skirmishers can give you an edge against shield-heavy infantry such as the rhodoks or nords.

Back
Top Bottom