Wheel of Time

Users who are viewing this thread

No, this is your fault. You know I usually never venture beyond the threads I'm already active in. I'm making your sister Damane for this.

I read up to book 10 or so 2 years ago, at which point I fell asleep from descriptions of women's hair and campsites. I'm re-reading them now, do the Sanderson books provide closure to the main storyline well? I don't want to go through the effort of reading 13 books only for a disappointing payoff.

True. They certainly don't have the same "what nine levels of sub-plots am I missing here?" feel to them. Definitely a drawback, but it doesn't detract all too much from the general awesomeness. I'm very glad Jordan left such detailed notes though.

I read both mistborn and Elantris and enjoyed both of them and his writing style in general, so I think it should be fine.

Teofish said:
True. They certainly don't have the same "what nine levels of sub-plots am I missing here?" feel to them. Definitely a drawback, but it doesn't detract all too much from the general awesomeness. I'm very glad Jordan left such detailed notes though.

Apparently they were quite detailed but not particularly extensive.

While I didn't have a ton of written material from Robert Jordan that I could actually put in—there are about 200 pages worth of scenes and notes that needed to become somewhere around 2,500 pages [Books 12-14 by Sanderson total 2,556 pages]—a lot of those 200 pages were summaries of scenes he wanted. Robert Jordan wrote by instinct. He was what we called a discovery writer, so what was handed to me was a big pile of half-finished scenes or paragraphs where he wrote, "Well, I am either going to do this, this, or this. I was thinking of this, but it could be this." Yes, cracking an ending is hard, and the Wheel of Time had a lot of loose threads. My job was to take all those threads and weave them into an ending, which was a real challenge.

The magic system is really original and the setpieces were amazing, one of the best books I've ever read.

Back
Top Bottom