What TV series are you watching?

Users who are viewing this thread

I was actually trying to think of stories with female protagonists written by men, but I don't read much non-fiction* :smile:
I'm sure a lot of women read stories by male authors thinking they have no idea how women think.
So you are saying the Jews did this.
Did you know there are 1.6 mil Jews and Ivanka in NYC? That's some viewing demographic with high disposable income.
So almost 1/5 New Yorkers are Jewish. No wonder they are everywhere in media, finance and politics over there.

* Apart from classics like Medea, Antigone and Candide, back when women practically couldn't publish anything.

The Willow show premiered on Disney+.

I know the original wasn't some masterpiece, but there's something about this series that so far, feels like it's not Willow. The cinematography, sets and whatnot are nice at least? Or maybe I need to watch more than two episodes...

Also, Yellowstone continuing to be a great show. Who would have guessed a show about a family trying to keep their ranch in Montana would be so successful. lol

EDIT

The main female character in the Willow show is just annoying and rude. She's constantly insulting people, is dismissive, and has this weird almost Whedon-like "humor" that is completely cringe. It's hilarious how TV show writers think a "strong" female character is just a rude *******. 🤣

Last edited:
Finished Fleishman Is in Trouble. It's actually good. Well written and great acting. I see some statuettes for those performances.
Still the trials and tribulations of upper class New Yorkers and their first world existential problems. So I doubt it'll acquire a big audience.

Season 2 of Son of a Critch just started. A really cute show about a young boy growing up in Newfoundland in the 1980s.
Rare to see such a fine assembly of well written characters, perfectly casted. It's autobiographical so that could be why :smile:

I binged on the Edgerunners anime series because the Cyberpunk reddit was invaded by people making references (it's a CDPR prequel series) and heaping praise. I failed to see much beyond cheap juvenile escapism for lonely boys, like everything else that is anime. It's faithful to the game visuals which was a bonus to a CP77 player.
It worked well for CDPR, Cyberpunk got a revival in sales, fully deserved (I'm on my third playthrough).

The Last of Us show is shaping up to be a very different experience from the game. Only EP3 into the season, and it's really good.

I don't like some of the changes, specifically with Bill and Frank, but the changes aren't actually bad. I'm actually really glad they decided to add things in and change things, because otherwise, why not just play the game? It was basically a movie anyway. lol
I binged on the Edgerunners anime series because the Cyberpunk reddit was invaded by people making references (it's a CDPR prequel series) and heaping praise. I failed to see much beyond cheap juvenile escapism for lonely boys, like everything else that is anime. It's faithful to the game visuals which was a bonus to a CP77 player.
It worked well for CDPR, Cyberpunk got a revival in sales, fully deserved (I'm on my third playthrough).

I couldn't understand any of the mass appeal. It was cheap in all its narrative developments, pacing was horrific, it was nonsensical and overtly anime in almost every single way, like the crazy loli character for example. It was honestly one of the worst animes I had ever seen, and I've seen a lot of anime, most of which was comically bad. Also, every episode felt like there was 2 episodes missing before it.

Citadel is one of the most expensive TV shows ever created (second only to The Rings of Power, also on Amazon).
I'm telling this because you wouldn't know from watching it. There's an annoying use of extreme colour grading, HDR, bloom and contrast, to the point where it looks like an amateur was given access to top cinematography tech and went berserk.
It's about two spies, and has all the tropes: secret organisations, government conspiracies, stolen nuclear codes, amnesia, hacking, international travels galore, kidnappings, sci-fi tech etc. Not to mention explosions, tightly choreographed fighting and cliché villains.
The two protagonists have the charisma of an IKEA table and chair.

The Night Agent (Netflix), on the other hand, is well written with well defined characters with backstories.
It's about a low-level FBI agent who gets caught up in a government conspiracy, protecting a witness.
But despite the banal plot, there's an interesting story with intrigue that unfolds in good pace.
The acting is mostly good, despite some poor TV acting here and there. I especially hate the Diane Farr character.
Nothing groundbreaking. Still, a decent, entertaining show.

So, I just finished watching His Dark Materials season 3. I'm still processing it, so I'm far from reaching any final conclusions about the show, but I need to rant a bit:
I loved this show so much, until the end. In the first season, and throughout much of the next two, it's this beautiful, unique fantasy story. It's emotionally gripping, it has great characters, and some amazing performances: Dafne Keen, James McAvoy, Lin-Manuel Miranda, and Ariyon Bakare are all really good, and Ruth Wilson is awesome: she should've been nominated for an Emmy. It's a story with many messages and deeper meanings to consider: it's about growing up, and about parenthood, but it also delves into spiritualism and casts a critical eye at religion, religious institutions, and government.
And yet, all of that is undermined by a horrible ending in the last two episodes. The climactic confrontation between Asriel (James McAvoy), Mrs. Coulter (Ruth Wilson), and the Big Baddie looks like something from a '90s B-movie, and then the slow-mo scene of all three falling to their deaths, their expressions frozen, is a trope that's been done before. It's a low blow to those characters (Asriel and Mrs. Coulter) to end them that way, to the actors who played them so well, and to the audience who missed the chance to see more great scenes between them and Dafne Keen's character, Lyra.

And then we get to the real steaming turd in the room, the final episode: The two young lead characters, Lyra and Will, who have already spent three epsides in season 3 on an overly dismal, dreary, deep side quest, finally get a break in a different world, and it's good to see things looking up for them at last. But, the multiverse is still dying, there is still work to do. Suddenly, a show that until now had featured zero sexualization (which was refreshing to me, I'm honestly bored with every story featuring sex and romance) suddenly has not one, but two scenes of Lyra and Will bathing together. Suddenly they're in love, they kiss (definitely not a teenagers first kiss either), and magic happens. The universe is healing, love has conquered all, and all that crap. Who knew that after all this time, all it took to fulfill prophecies and restore balance to the multiverse was two teenagers wanting to bang each other.

And then, for some complete bull**** reason that is invented on the spot, they're not allowed to be in the same world together. So, the rest of the episode is spent in goodbyes and tearful declarations of eternal love, even after the last scene fades to black. Both Will and Lyra are sent back to their old lives, as is a supporting character who seemed much happier in the new world than she did in her old one. (This bothered me in the Narnia stories too: what's the point of showing someone a new world with so many possibilities if they're not allowed to stay, but have to return to their old lives?) A unique, nuanced story becomes a massive cliche: yet another tale of thwarted, yet never-ending teenage love. I was almost ready to turn it off and throw the DVD out the window. It's as if the writers wrote up to the last two episodes and then said "Oh **** me, what do we do now?" and then handed it off to the B-movie writing team, but apparently this is how the book ends, too. What the ****, author? The story, the characters, and the audience all deserved a better ending.

It feels like a children's story at first, yes, especially with its youthful protagonists. It's not a children's show, though. Some of it would be too scary or sad for children, as you said, and they wouldn't grasp the show's messages. I would say the audience is "young adults"/teens, and adults.

From what I read online, the author of the books, Phillip Pullman, is working on another trilogy which expands the story, and is even darker. So yeah, not for kids.

So I've been watching Star Trek: Strange New Worlds: I'd say it's mostly a fairly light Star Trek show: a fun way to spend 40-50 minutes without having to worry. The Trek nerds may find it odd that it references and adheres to events from the original 1960s series as if determined to hold on to what's canon, but at the same time it's not afraid to make changes or go in its own direction. Some of the characters are good examples of that.

Anyway, I just finished watching season 2, episode 8 "Under the Cloak of War": Had to be the best episode yet, holy ****. Like I said, I was expecting something fairly lightweight: instead, this episode was an emotionally gripping story of the lasting effects of PTSD, seen through the eyes of a battlefield doctor and a nurse. It also asked some thoughtful, intriguing questions about morality, justice, and more: Captain Pike: "Everyone deserves a second chance." Doctor M'Benga: "Doesn't everyone deserve to pay for their actions?" Good stuff.

Wheel of Time season 2 is actually very good so far. I'm surprised, thought I would probably just watch an episode here and there when I was bored and had free time but I'm actually really enjoying it.

Back
Top Bottom