What part of the possible career of your character matter *most* to you?

What part of the possible career of your character matter *most* to you?

• The game is from Day One. "Adventures of a 3rd Level Fighter". But dull after day100-200 and I stop.

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • The game doesn't start until I'm taking down war parties and snagging fiefs. But no dynasty.

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • My game is all about getting some skills to ultimate rank. Longer I play, the better.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I like early and middle (1,2 above) both.

Votes: 23 52.3%
  • I like middle and dynasty (2,3 above) both.

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • 2,000 game days from Level 1 to "died of old age", every playthrough.

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Um... I play Multiplayer only.

Votes: 2 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

They don´t play their own game otherwise I can´t explain all of those wrong design decisions.
I doubt they do, or if they do, are not fans (or familiar) with this kind of game... Also, I don't think TW has a robust quality assurance team or in-house testing staff because a lot of what's wrong with this game are products of design choices, and a lot of the bugs that have and are occurring aren't obscure and would have been seen by a couple of people testing "beta versions." Sometimes while playing this game I get the feeling that the fanbase are the ONLY testers.

I doubt they do, or if they do, are not fans (or familiar) with this kind of game...
This here is the biggest problem, I think. What I feel is happening in Taleworlds since 2016: analysts familiar with the "gaming market" advise decision-makers, but do not themselves play or enjoy such games. These decision-makers then model the design based on the advice, and forward it to the actual programmers who may or may not have even played Warband, let alone absorbed the "spirit" of the franchise. They then take the part of least resistance, and do the recommended features as quickly and lazily as possible.

That would explain several design decisions. Two-colour bland boring banners with factions "logos" because it would confuse the player (?????). Prison breaks that lack half the features of the Warband prison breaks. Extremely poor courting mechanics. Absolutely no trait-based companion or lord dialogue whatsoever. Absolutely no diplomacy in any sense, too. No battle mode, the multiplayer in general is a Mordhau/Chivalry wannabe disaster. This is why career paths in the poll that are over 10 in game years yield absolutely no fun.

This here is the biggest problem, I think. What I feel is happening in Taleworlds since 2016: analysts familiar with the "gaming market" advise decision-makers, but do not themselves play or enjoy such games. These decision-makers then model the design based on the advice, and forward it to the actual programmers who may or may not have even played Warband, let alone absorbed the "spirit" of the franchise. They then take the part of least resistance, and do the recommended features as quickly and lazily as possible.

That would explain several design decisions. Two-colour bland boring banners with factions "logos" because it would confuse the player (?????). Prison breaks that lack half the features of the Warband prison breaks. Extremely poor courting mechanics. Absolutely no trait-based companion or lord dialogue whatsoever. Absolutely no diplomacy in any sense, too. No battle mode, the multiplayer in general is a Mordhau/Chivalry wannabe disaster. This is why career paths in the poll that are over 10 in game years yield absolutely no fun.
giphy.gif

True, too bad no one at Taleworlds will see these words, let alone acknowledge any of this.

really seems as though this is the case

For me it vary depending on what character build I chose for main hero and clan members in a specific playthrough. Overall, all parts of career are equally important to me, but in the current state of the game I have love-hate relationship with all of them.
  • Early game is fun for playing just some combat or trader build for the main hero and not caring that much about other stuff, but for the different builds it is pain in the ass and it gets very repetetive after few playthroughs - many times I want to skip this get to real business. Even for combat oriented playstyle gamplay improvements are needed, for example there is nothing special and interesting in playing as mercenary - it is almost the same as playing as a vassal.
  • In the mid game I like conquesting first few settlements, developing them, and fighting variety of battles, but it lacks other things to do. The second problem here is companions don't have enough attribute and focus points for their level, so you can't do any interesting character build for them, and there is also no adult children yet. Together with slowing down development of the main hero at this point, it makes that part of the game quite boring in a way.
  • Late game brings adult family members, so there is finally a possibility to make something really fun in the world, becasue of all of those potentially good governors, party leaders, captains and warriors, but it's too late at this point. There is nothing to do and not many things change at this point - the world is dead. Even if I wait to this point with the conquest of the whole map, there will be almost no more buildings to build in settlements, and most of the clans will have high clan tiers and lots of money, so all AI parties are big and contain quite high quality troops - every battle feels the same at this point, because there is no variety of enemies.
At every stage of the campaign there is a need for more content - just more things to do for the player, and more of some kind of events which would bring additional challanges and breaks from the rest of the gamplay that becomes quite monotonous in longer games.

The second problem is that I feel like there is a big mismatch between progression speed of different aspects of the game. Advancement of the state of the world (AI clan tiers, fiefs development, map conquest) is to fast compared to getting adult children and their xp progression in some skills. Jumping from a mercenary to a vassal is to fast compared to everything else, getting decent governors takes too long to make leveling them worth it, and I even don't want to start talking about economic progression in all of this.
Some major balancing is needed here, together with much more customizable sandbox mode in every aspect of the game.

I doubt they do, or if they do, are not fans (or familiar) with this kind of game... Also, I don't think TW has a robust quality assurance team or in-house testing staff because a lot of what's wrong with this game are products of design choices, and a lot of the bugs that have and are occurring aren't obscure and would have been seen by a couple of people testing "beta versions." Sometimes while playing this game I get the feeling that the fanbase are the ONLY testers.
Have no doubt about it. By the way, how about in the group of notables of discord, has any glimmer of hope grown or is it still a wasteland where the tumbleweeds wander?
:lol:

Absolutely.

Get... or with all these gif's maybe I should say "git"... your votes in, Folks.

Poll closes later today.

Right then. Thanks, All!

@SadShogun if you've not looked in yet, there are some comments that add a bit of detail and are worth the read. As always, pass it along to any folks who would care (but it's sure not a scientific sample, heh) but don't look here for language reasons.

And yes, I'm revising my list of "things that can still be fixed?" based on it. I learned some things too.

Back
Top Bottom