What made you sad today? v.IV

Users who are viewing this thread

I tried playing Disciples but for some reason it did not keep my attention. I remember very little about it. I also didn't really like the Witcher 1 and 2 and the Witcher 3 was alright but I got bored of it after not too long.

All of this to say that a game being "good" is highly subjective. Witcher 3 is as close as one can get to an objective masterpiece but it just didn't scratch my itch. Maybe if I try it again later it will.

On the other hand I have recently discovered RimWorld and now I can't stop. Please send help.

...recycled Christian imagery is in a right place, conflict between God and Lucifer (Highfather and Bethrezen, respectively) was one of the main themes, though neither side looked so... generic. Or maybe they did, maybe I'm just wearing nostalgia glasses and this is perfectly fine....
No, they didn't look so generic. In fact, they looked really cool, for a game published ~2002 or 3. The whole aesthetic was the Gothic-edgy look, but if you dig that sort of thing, it was well done. Some designs were a bit meh (I always thought the dwarves looked a bit ridiculous next to those ogres and the dragons were a bit too small, imo), but compared to the cheery HoMM zombies and all those colours, well, a matter of choice, but well done, is all I'm saying.

Just so we're clear, this is a fourth game, or maybe rather a spin-off, there was Disciples 3 around 2010, released by Russian studio that acquired the rights to it after Strategy First went down, it launched poorly, got relaunched poorly and had final, okay-ish version about the same moment (or rather something like two weeks after) said studio also bankrupted.

D3 was already a giant mess, they tried to introduce hex-based combat, but lift unit stats from D2 (that had no unit movement), add skills that turned the balance upside down to the mix, and then struggled to glue it together into something coherent. Liberation looks like they didn't even bother to look back at what worked and just grabbed some names for their new, cool RPG idea. I won't even get into the story, but judging by the trailers I really doubt they'll have the corny, grimdark allure of first two games.

39-6021315dac9f55128a0.jpg

EprpB7jXEAAVM0R.jpg

Thanks for the tip, looks well worth watching.
Games! Games! Everywhere I go, games! This is what my lifetime of achievement has been reduced to! Clive Sinclair, the man who brought you Jet Set ****ing Willy! Apparently there's even a game now about me trying to get a knighthood, for Christ's sake!

Randomly stumbled upon Bannerlord release on Steam and that reminded me to check on forums. Not sure if that made me sad-sad, but definitely made me go 'huh' about that time my friend in High School got me to play some early version of M&B, which started a long period of being super-excited about everything vaguely related, including Blood&Gold (still a fun game, just not a good one).

Back
Top Bottom