What are you reading now?

Users who are viewing this thread

controversial bit is reconciling ‘honesty rule in our laws is a moral term’ and that ‘law excludes morality’. An alternative hypothesis is that ‘all norms that judges are obliged to enforce are the law’ but he denies that. He argues that These laws with moral terms are norms that bind the judges. but the moral principles in them are not the law.

Finished 'Sapiens' by Yuval Noah Harari. A very eye-opening book about humans from almost an outsider's perspective. Highly recommend this to anyone, regardless of your personal reading preferences.

A few chapters till the end of Wilde's 'Dorian Gray' as well, pretty much savouring it as it's one of my favourite works.

BenKenobi said:
Is 'law excludes morality' even a thing outside of a very very limited range of radical philosophers?
To a layman it sounds absurd to exclude morality from law.
As if it's an attempt to make judicial matters more objective (closer to natural sciences).

I've started reading The Invention of Nature by Andrea Wulf, about Alexander von Humbolt's life, journeys and contribution to science.

Adorno said:
To a layman it sounds absurd to exclude morality from law.
As if it's an attempt to make judicial matters more objective (closer to natural sciences).
You cannot. Or, to put it this way: you can exclude moral considerations from law and call them something else, but then you face the problems in that the courts no longer only apply law but also decide on the basis of something else.

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry said:
laws are inherently immoral :iamamoron:
****ing etatists  :iamamoron:

I gave up on Wheel of Time. 14 Books in (11 books, the ones without Sanderson, were translated into finnish in 25 books) and nothing noteworthy has happened in 6 books.

Anyway, started reading the newest Uthred book.

Oooh, my aunt gifed me for new year a book losely translated as "a priest who sold his ferrari"
:facepalm:

She says it is good but i dont know if even want to start reading that  :grin:

A business fable from the late 90's from a former litigation lawyer sounds very relevant in our economic post-2008-world.  :iamamoron:

From Wiki
Sharma also wrote several other books in the series, such as The Secret Letters Of The Monk Who Sold His Red Ferrari,
Leadership Wisdom from the Monk Who Sold His Ferrari, Discover Your Destiny with the Monk who sold his Ferrari
and Family Wisdom from the Monk Who Sold His Ferrari.[3]
:lol:

l6LJV.jpg
Plus a bonus recommendation:
llZ8Z.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom