We who are about to Die! Made by an old m&b modder - me!

Users who are viewing this thread

I gotta say, it was (and is, and will remain to be, I assume) an amazing journey to see the process from this more intimate angle. And I'm not talking about technical side of building a game here, something that at times is covered by various devblogs, but to see feelings of a person behind it. I do think it's quite brave to share like that, even if you know that you're doing it with people you know, but still at a risk of some randos like me just stumbling upon it.

wERtX.gif

Looks great. Nice trailer. Good luck.

Well, whaddaya know. This thread is five years old, and yet it has eluded me until this very moment in time. And look: planned release is two weeks from now. I'd say that's pretty good timing. Imagine if I found the thread back in '17, I would have had to wait five years from announcement to release, an unheard of amount of time to wait. Unheard of, I say.

After 7 years of solo development, the game just released in early access! :grin:

Downloaded and tried out. You made me late for work this morning.

Edit: ok, first question: What determines training cost? With my first dude (surname Diccus - so of course I added the nickname Biggus) training equipment was 50 gold a pop. My next dude, it was 150. Ok, so maybe my first dude had some perk I hadn't paid attention to, but after a couple of fights with my second, price went up to 165. Same happened to my third dude: at first it was 150, then 165. Does this have to do with favour with my sponsors, perhaps?

Last edited:
Downloaded and tried out. You made me late for work this morning.

Edit: ok, first question: What determines training cost? With my first dude (surname Diccus - so of course I added the nickname Biggus) training equipment was 50 gold a pop. My next dude, it was 150. Ok, so maybe my first dude had some perk I hadn't paid attention to, but after a couple of fights with my second, price went up to 165. Same happened to my third dude: at first it was 150, then 165. Does this have to do with favour with my sponsors, perhaps?
The training gear price starts at 150 and slowly increases as you level up.

The time it cost 50 was because of a backstory perk (professional aspirant gets cheaper gear)

I notice flails (or flagga in this game, very powerful as one would expect) seem to come out of my hand a lot- is that due to them being blocked by the enemy's weapon/shield? I can't always keep up with the feed of info at the side of the screen. I realised something rather cool when fighting a spear/shield opponent with a massive two hander (and narrowly losing); the enemy weapon passively obstructs your own, so depending on how big it is and where it is held, it can be awkward to get an attack in. I've been practicing low shots more (in general, not in reference to the two hander vs spear/shield), and am having quite a bit of success.

I had a very enjoyable time with a cocky commoner who, after foolishly entering the arena armed only with a fancy bit of tableware, went on to have enough success to buy an awesome hand-claw thing (can't remember the proper name). It is like a large glove with a short arc of an axe head on the end, brilliantly deadly as a slashing tool and I was doing monstrous damage with it. Unfortunately it isn't very durable, so you need to make use of it while you can.

Back
Top Bottom