"Warning: This line should never display" - Help

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

doomking517

Recruit
Dear all those who are taking the time to read this, thank you in advance.

I thoroughly enjoy this mod, I have been playing up until v150 (since the first creator), and thought I would try v156 out. I liked the ideas therein (the restrictions suited me anyway). So I started up my game and played through, every now and then I would encounter a bug that says "warning: this line should never display". The reason I haven't put this in the bugs section, is primarily, because I am not certain the bug relates to the mod. I have V1.173 of the game (I believe I am up to date) and have the most recent version of WSE. What I wanted to know, was, is this a result of the mod? if so, is there anyway to solve it (without editing the mod)? if not, I understand any changes necessary to the mod will not be completed for a period of about 2-3 weeks and don't mind (as the current modder is highly busy working on obtaining more awesome stuff for us and well, he doesn't have to fix it if he doesn't want to anyway).

That said, I'm going to add as much detail about my current mount and blade saves as poss, especially when the issue arises (so that we can hopefully figure out the cause and solution).

First of:
current version as stated above 1.173
current WSE version: 4.6.1

First encounter with bug:
request a quest from a lord, after having just completed a quest with them. renown about 135 (I believe 137). day 6. relation with lord about 3. My class: necromancer (secondary mage). my level about 5. I owned 2 productive enterprises (both making velvet) both in the mages territory. The lord was a mage (as I carried on with the save, I happened to lose their particular names, but the issue doesn't seem lord specific).

second encounters and on ward.

my renown increased, my faction relations increased with mages, but it occurred with non-mage faction lords. my level increased. my amount of productive enterprises increased. the rate at which the bug occurred increased.

I enabled cheats and checked for any errors (in the debugging) and checked for any errors in the recent messages, in both cases, none were present.

By the looks of things, it seemed like the issue related to becoming a vassal and/or a mercenary for the faction. it would explain why the issue increased as my renown and relationship with the faction increased. I haven't yet had chance to experiment with this, by just taking over a town, but that's realistically speaking, my next port of call (becoming my own king, or becoming a vassal via taking a town) to check if its those quests in particular causing the issue.

Things tried:
Reinstalling game
Reinstalling mod
Reinstalling patches
Reinstalling WSE
Reinstalling game + mod + patches + WSE

Any suggestions guys?

Thank you again, for any help you can give me.

Yours faithfully
Doom.

Phantasy Calradia does not require WSE.

If you're starting it using WSE, try just starting mb_warband.exe.

If it's not that, I know sometimes a script that's not through full testing will display that as a placeholder for the developer. You *may* be OK ignoring it.

Thanks you for the response OldGreyBeard.

I have tried with and without WSE (on new saves). This doesn't seem to solve the problem.

I may not have been clear enough in my original. If the issue was merely warning, or if I could carry on as normal, I would not have made this post. The problem is, that as it occurs when I am taking a quest, and it fills the dialogue box there is no way to back out (tab is not working). Nor is clicking, so the chat will not progress, it is stuck there. I can access the journal (as said in the original) by clicking on their portrait which opens it up, but exiting that just returns me to what ought be the conversation, but in this case, is the bug. Effectively, to continue, I must restart.

Thank you anyway.

Doom

Ouch! :shock: That's not good.

Another question:
Are you playing "realistic saves"?

Warband has a nasty habit of corrupting saves done on the world map, which "realistic saves" does quite often.

I'm not playing realistic saves, but I do make the vast majority of my saves on the map (through the menu...) so I am not sure if that would be the cause, that said, I can cause the issue on a single play through without loading any saves.

It seems that in april, the mod creator was saying not to take quests because of this issue. I am not certain its been fixed yet though I saw mention on the moddb that it had, if it hasnt, I may have jumped the gun in posting here (though I had done a fair search of the bugs in the 2018 part), that said, the modder making this, is frankly amazing, so I would be incredibly suprised if he hasn't. One thing I should try is to limit it to single threading, supposedly that causes issues, though its probably not related, it was in the same thread sooo.... its worth a shot.

edit: single thread =failed

Hmm ... at the very least, I think you'll need to start over. :facepalm:

Sounds like you've hit a real bug there. I know Gsanders isn't able to maintain the mod till September at the earliest, so things are on hold till then. :???:

Sorry I wasn't able to give you any meaningful help. :oops:

I had this same exact problem with the 150 series as a Necromancer.  The problem only occurred if I was not a vassal/ruler myself.  I think what's happening, but I am not entirely sure, is that Necromancers aren't ever suppose to be mercenaries in this mod and the lords are trying to hire you as a mercenary.  The problem went away when I became a vassal.  Currently on about day ~900 without encountering that problem. 

staen said:
I had this same exact problem with the 150 series as a Necromancer.  The problem only occurred if I was not a vassal/ruler myself.  I think what's happening, but I am not entirely sure, is that Necromancers aren't ever suppose to be mercenaries in this mod and the lords are trying to hire you as a mercenary.  The problem went away when I became a vassal.  Currently on about day ~900 without encountering that problem.

This is a correct answer.
  As a necromancer, you aren't supposed to be accepted as a mercenary, and should be limited in requests to join a faction to factions that are cool with necromancers in general, which is a very small list of factions.  The problem then became what if a person went to the king/queen and tried to become a vassal.
For the "I want to be a mercenary" quest it should have refused to offer that but maybe this is where your message comes from.

If you go straight up to a Orc/Drow/Undead ruler to ask to be a vassal these should work as a necromancer.  Every other faction should fail, if I did it right.
Trying to cheat join the faction should be removed and not shown, and asking lords to join the faction any other way should fail.  I didn't write this to be the "necromancer mod" and have no interest in making necromancers easy for you.  That said its the problem class that I should have just cut so I dont keep having to deal with so many side effects.

[standard rant begins here, not intended for any particular poster in this thread...]
My advice is not to try to join factions that weren't naturals for you in the first place and I can keep the class.  In every case, its not the community's call what I do with/to/about necromancers.  Its Guspavs call what he does with his mod (which is posted on NexusMods for contrast) and MY call what I do with MY SUBMOD.  Instead of making this an autistic event, I'll just say one more time for the record I have the right to do as I wish in my submod, and as the community does not actually do the work of writing even 1 line of code, their input is sort of meaningless.  I didn't write "the necromancer mod": I wrote a mod of a mod that is supposed to have several classes, only one of which is necromancer.  Necromancer is a pain in my buttocks; I've been as nice about it as I feel I need to be.  I'm all for buffing NPC necromancers to be better targets for other classes, and less thrilled with losing daylight hours to necromancers for players.  Its here because its more work to remove it, so lets keep it that way.

Maybe its not a fatal error and its more of an annoyance than a tragedy.  You don't need WSE but maybe it isn't hurting anything.  I was very against WSE as I thought was a real PITA for installation, but the 1.173 version is fairly painless and as its needed for the next Warsword Conquest I'm getting used to it now.
I never tried running THIS mod with WSE loaded but it should have no other effect than making the mod run slightly (3% ??) slower, as every WSE check will exit gracefully since no WSE command was given and probably you can't notice 3% or so even in moderate battles.

gsanders said:
  This is a correct answer.
  As a necromancer, you aren't supposed to be accepted as a mercenary, and should be limited in requests to join a faction to factions that are cool with necromancers in general, which is a very small list of factions.  The problem then became what if a person went to the king/queen and tried to become a vassal.
For the "I want to be a mercenary" quest it should have refused to offer that but maybe this is where your message comes from.

If you go straight up to a Orc/Drow/Undead ruler to ask to be a vassal these should work as a necromancer.  Every other faction should fail, if I did it right.

Maybe its not a fatal error and its more of an annoyance than a tragedy.  You don't need WSE but maybe it isn't hurting anything.  I was very against WSE as I thought was a real PITA for installation, but the 1.173 version is fairly painless and as its needed for the next Warsword Conquest I'm getting used to it now.
I never tried running THIS mod with WSE loaded but it should have no other effect than making the mod run slightly (3% ??) slower, as every WSE check will exit gracefully since no WSE command was given and probably you can't notice 3% or so even in moderate battles.

I figured it was something like this. Its by no means a tragedy or a complaint, I made the thread mainly due to confusion, and the possibility you didn't know or others didn't know, and that I might help them if I got a solution (though one has to note I am surprised I cannot be a vassal for the mages, as they simply don't care who or what you are (I believe anyway, I could swear I saw some lore in the mod that said that) though maybe that merely means they wont automatically start attacking you, and tolerate you, not like you or give you any positions of power which is also a very likely interpretation if memory serves me well. I ought be clear what I mean here, is that I am just genuinely surprised, not saying you ought change it (or that I expect such, I do not), or saying I am displeased or upset or anything of that nature.)

Leaving that comment on my part aside, I can live with it if its only those restrictions. I will just play a pure mage. Its funny, necromancy was always a side class for me. I ran a "main" mage, with an army of mages and good soldiers (and kicked out any undead after battles). I literally only ran necromancy to quickly fill a castle after a battle, before I properly stocked it with units (without considerably weakening myself) so getting rid of necromancy, merely means a little post town/castle capture inconvenience, nothing too concerning and certainly nothing I dont do on any other play through.

By the way Gsanders, thank you for advancing this absolutely god damn awesome mod. I might not have agreed with every change you have made, but in the end, they always seem to make my game plays more interesting. I guess that just means I know very little about gaming experience and what makes a fun game.

As far as WSE goes, it works fine as far as I can tell, if it wasn't the cause of this issue. Ive been running it for as long as I have been able to, and its never caused any issues before this point. In fact, it might sound odd, but the mod always seemed more stable with it, than without (by which I mean, M&b warband can crash on me when I am doing huge battles, but when using WSE it crashes a hell of a lot less and I have absolutely no damn idea why).

staen said:

This is confirmed by Gsanders, sorry on the slow thank you. I figured it was related to getting merc work, but wasn't quite sure how. sinces its solely necromancers, I will just start anew without them. Anyway, a big thank you for the response, I saw it 2 days ago, on my phone but I wasn't logged in on it, so didn't get chance to reply.

OldGreyBeard said:
Hmm ... at the very least, I think you'll need to start over. :facepalm:

Sounds like you've hit a real bug there. I know Gsanders isn't able to maintain the mod till September at the earliest, so things are on hold till then. :???:

Sorry I wasn't able to give you any meaningful help. :oops:

You have nothing to be sorry for. You did everything you could and I want to thank you for trying to help me. It was much appreciated. You are an asset to the community. It seems to be  being a necromancer that is the problem. That being the case , I'm just going to start over and ditch the class as it was only for restocking a castle after capturing it anyway.

That said, it seems this issue is solved. I will be probably lock the thread tomorrow. Thank you all again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom