Warhammer 40 000 Ultramarines movie!

Users who are viewing this thread

The CG was overall pretty meh (but at times pretty good), the story was far from 40K-epic and the characters were very generic (as you'd expect from Ultramarines).

But I ****ing loved it.

Purge the unclean!

GOT MY COPY! wooot

OK the CGI was on par with the Dark Crusade intro at times, and quite nice at other times, overall felt about 5 years old game intro tech wise, but it is their first film so one can only assume as the company grows so too will the bling factor.

The story/characters were pure dan abnett, but very cut down, i assume he will get better at writing for film (compressed story) with time, and i can sympathise that it would not be easy making a marine gripping on film. half the time they have a helmet (can't see face) the other half they have a face of stone.

But i gotta say I LOVED IT!!! It felt like 40K, pure and simple, no hollywood-ization (meaning screw history lets rewrite everything) had the gore, the dark brooding feel, the crazy fights, and some very cool moments.

They said it was for the fans and they didn't lie. There was no pointless info dumps, it just assumes we know all there is to know, because we are fans and that's why we are watching it. Bravo!

And for proof that doing things that way works, my wife watched it with me, She enjoys the art work, but knows very little about the history. she only asked 3 questions throughout the film. whats a chaplain, who is the guy in all white, and whats a gene seed. that's it, she took the rest on face value and really enjoyed it. Now if only hollywood would realise that not all the earth is populated by idiots and leaving some history/info dumps out does not ruin a story. perhaps even sucks people in more, since straight after the film, she logged on to games workshop and did some research. Then began reading my 'Horus Heresy- Collected Visions" Book. (which she ironically bought me for Christmas a few years ago hehe)

But overall i agree with Alex and raz, yes it 'could' have been a heap better, but the zing of even having a 40K film to watch wipes all that away, and all is forgiven. HAHA second time round they may not have such leaway however.

I think I came a little when the chaplain did the "BURN HERETIC"-line. Although what saddened me was his brooding and lack of chaos smiting.

I got the impression the film was more a proof of concept then a serious effort to make a big screen blockbuster.

"Can this franchise expand to film legitimately, does it translate well enough, and not lose the core feel of 40K" To these ends they chose
1. the hardest chapter to write for, Ultramarines being robotic clone chapter without any serious individualistic nature/character, unlike any of the other chapters.. spacewolves, white scars and so on

2.  A bleak and desolate location without anything more then rocks and mist.

3. One of their book writers writing for film, very different skills required. 

The answer was a big 'YES' in my opinion. now that GW has its answer, i can only see it getting better from here.

bah, space marines are overrated.
you know what we really need? no, not da Orks but...

WE NEED A MOVIE FOR THE IMPERIAL GUARD IS WHAT!

Majhudeen said:

I don't feel like watching heavy casualties and morale breaking for an hour and a half.

Space Marines are boring, and Ultramarines are even more so. They should have gone with the IG. Of course, I highly doubt that they'll be able to trump Damnatus regardless.

Kamos32 said:
Majhudeen said:

I don't feel like watching heavy casualties and morale breaking for an hour and a half.
The IG is a lot more then heavy casualties and morale breaking. Thats basically for balance. The Imperial Guard's strength is Vehicles. The Baneblade, Leman Russ, Chimera, Baskilisk, and Sentinels(and the other couple hundred varieties) and the ability to hold the line ****ing better than anyone else. Sure, lots of people will die in the process, but for every one who falls ten more will take his place. :grin:

As you can see I'm a big IG fanboy and it'd be orgasmic for me to see a IG movie. This one was decent, and did indeed prove that a 40k movie could be done. Though I do wish they chose a Chapter besides the Ultramarines.

Radalan said:
Ugly animations were saved by great voice actors and good sound design.

Minus points for the Bolter guy getting killed before the rush.

Figure what, fantastic dubbing tradition in Spain forced me to watch it in terrible dubbing because of low budget. So, great voice actors became bad voice actors and the overall conclusion is that the film sucks balls. The plot, especially.

Especially because there are newbie Space Marines with little determination. And they kill a Chaplain too easily. Too bad.

They should have gone for some Necron conspiracy. That was too good. I still read the Necron codex sometimes, it's the best codex ever written. Those profecies, that feeling of darkness and helplessness... That deserves a film.

Not the Smurfmarines.

Back
Top Bottom