US Threatens Britain.

Users who are viewing this thread

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7870049.stm

Basically, an investigation into whether a British resident was tortured at Guantamo Bay can't release details because if it does, America will halt intelligence cooperation with Britain, apparantly putting us all in danger of terrorist attacks!11!711

Thoughts?

Mine are summed in the article with
"What the devil is going on?"
and
""Frankly it is none of their business what our courts do"

Seems to me your colonies are getting mouthy again, Britain. Best make sure they learn their lesson and not speak out of turn again.

Time to burn the ****ing White House down again...*

*That line actually got a pint bought for my by two Seattle-ians in Kathmandu.

Basically, an investigation into whether a British resident was tortured at Guantamo Bay can't release details because if it does, America will halt intelligence cooperation with Britain, apparantly putting us all in danger of terrorist attacks!11!711

This is one of the few times I really feel united with my fellow British people*. This is what I think:

1. The fact that the US are saying "Don't release any details about the British resident's possible torturing at Guantanimo Bay or we'll reduce the amount of intelligence we give you" is basically saying, "We tortured him". Otherwise, why else would they threaten us like this, clearly wanting to prevent details being leaked?

2. I hope to God that Gordon Brown has the balls to suggest that we do release the evidence. Then when America cuts intelligence, Gordon better say "Fine then. We'll not share intelligence with you".  :razz: Unfortunately, I really don't think Gordon has got the balls...

*'This is one of the few times I really feel united with my fellow British people'; I also felt united when American news readers were poking fun at how poorly London coped with the snow. BECAUSE IT HARDLY EVER HAPPENS AND IT'S NOT COST EFFECTIVE TO INVEST IN THE INFRASTRUCTURE TO COPE WITH IT YOU MORONS!

Redcoat - Mic said:
America will halt intelligence cooperation with Britain
Doesn't that mean they'd actually be doing nothing? :wink:

Iberon said:
The MI stands for military intelligence but I don't know what the numbers mean.
They're section numbers. Back in WW1 the MI Directorate split into various sections, for example MI1 was cryptography. Technically they're no longer supposed to be called by the MI numbers these days.

Inukshuk said:
I hope to God that Gordon Brown has the balls to suggest that we do release the evidence.
He can't do anything about it; the court has already declared it relevant to the public interest, unless the government mounts an appeal. It's the Americans who hold the evidence though, and we can't compel them to hand it over.

Though of course if those British citizens in Guantanamo are returned when Obama shuts it down their testimony alone may be enough to indict the government on a charge of torture, which hopefully means ****wit Blair and Mr Broon will be spending time at the Hague.

That's pretty disgraceful on America's part. Unfortunately, I can't imagine we'll tell them to sod off.

Perhaps we should threaten to evict all their monitoring people and military facilities from Britain in return? Mind you, that'd probably be screwing us as much as them.

DanAngleland said:
That's pretty disgraceful on America's part. Unfortunately, I can't imagine we'll tell them to sod off.

Perhaps we should threaten to evict all their monitoring people and military facilities from Britain in return? Mind you, that'd probably be screwing us as much as them.

I bet if you tried our troops wouldn't leave peacefully.

Just a hunch.

Well, in order for the US to hand over the evidence they'd basically have to admit to torturing captives, which is a bit much to ask unless they're feeling particularly suicidal.
mdk31 said:
I bet if you tried our troops wouldn't leave peacefully.
I rather think the US would be keen to recover it's 30 million $ worth of Radar equipment rather than hand it over to the British. Just a hunch.

Eyyy, hey, Brits, the Canadians have your back!  We'll flank em from the North!

We'll take a boat to Washington and BURN IT TO THE GROUND!

Yaaay Arch got there first but bull**** would they not leave peacefully.
Anyway I say we tell them to **** off, in those exact words. How can you say you are the nation of freedom (or however they phrase their bull****) if you illegaly imprison people, torture them and then lie about it and even blackmail another country into not reporting it?
And anyway we could just tell them to get all their **** out of our country, stop giving them information, pull out of any of their wars and try and get other countries to do so. If they won't take us seroiusly as a country I say **** em. ****s. Big fat american ****s. Fat ****ers. Grrrrrrrrr.

Gculk said:
Eyyy, hey, Brits, the Canadians have your back!  We'll flank em from the North!

We'll take a boat to Washington and BURN IT TO THE GROUND!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbQ7WkNw0ig

Alex_Augmented said:
Bloody yanks.

Why do they call MI5&MI6 'M15' and 'M16'?

I don't. And to be honest, I've never heard anyone say m16. :/

But, then again. I live in Vermont. We're one of the smart states. :grin:

Back
Top Bottom