Upcoming games you nitpicky ****bags look forward to ***** about in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

You will all play Starfield (when it's fixed) ...
"just by the numbers, if it shipped today, this would have the fewest bugs in any game from Bethesda [that] has ever shipped, and we've got more time to go."
dgT6n.gif

Emphasis mine.

Further clarification: when it's fixed by modders as is always the case with Bethesda RPGs, in which case we are justified in complaining about the established studio because they once again leave it to others to cobble together a game out of a heap of disjointed and barely-implemented features.

It'll be pretty sick though.
I found Bethesda games pretty enjoyable unmodded too. Once there's at least one major patch and possibly additional DLC content.
If anyone feels the urge to say "Horse Armor", I'll reply "Shivering Isles" and win, so don't.

If you say Shivering Isles, then I'll say Knights of the Nine, which came first, was shorter, and felt more akin to today's typical DLC fare than the expansion it was billed as (though it wasn't bad, just not very interesting). Shivering Isles was some of the last official content to be added to Oblivion, and while it was undeniably good there was already an established, thriving mod scene for the game when it came out.

We could talk instead about Fallout 4, if you would prefer, where it took them 3 tries to get any real content out post-release.

Bethesda makes games you can safely shelve for months or even a year, and they'll be significantly better when you eventually get back to them. Some of that is attributable to Bethesda, and some of it is attributable to mods. Short-term it's mods, long-term their games do tend to get decent official support, though sometimes it can take a while and the mods keep churning all the while.

Ultimate general: American Revolution

I really liked their previous game on the civil war, with all of its indie quirks and flaws it offered a pretty unique experience (especially on the hardest difficulty).

I really like the guy behind these ones (Darth Vader, the guy who made all of the darthmods for total war) and I am especially keen on that delayed reporting system which I haven’t seen anywhere else.

Of course and as always, no early access, gotta wait until it releases fully, but still, looking forward to it!

For a little studio, they always seem to have another project in development. Don't they still have to finish Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts? I gave up on Naval Action a long time ago, but I wonder if they're still putting out updates for it? I really enjoyed Ultimate Admiral: Age of Sail but I wish they'd keep adding to it. It seems like they've moved on to the next game, though.

I skipped those so i never noticed but you are right!

I just wish they’d stop focusing on the US for a change and do the exact same game I just posted above but about the Napoleonic wars instead (or the Carlist wars, or even the South American independence wars).

The games have some really cool ideas but are all dragged down by something insane. In Gettysburg, cannons are practically invincible, and there's a "hold" button that just makes your units way stronger and the AI never uses it. In Civil War, there is a mindboggling AI scaling system that discourages actually killing the enemy in the campaign. It's like all the issues with darthmod (melee taking too long, poorly designed overall campaign mechanics) amplified to a standalone game.

I've never played any of the Ultimate General games (yet), but that reminds me a bit of Age of Sail. The frigate and small ship combat is really fun. The later missions are heavily focused on ship of the line combat, and they can be a slog because ships of the line in Age of Sail are just boring. Probably the most unbalanced feature of the game is the upgrades, though. You can upgrade your ships to give them substantially more health, speed, melee (boarding) damage, etc, and equip your ships with all manner of different cannons, including carronades that will do significantly more damage in close quarters (where a lot of fighting occurs) than standard cannons. All of this is great, except that the AI never uses any of this, so your ships can have significant advantages even over ships of the same class. It's not game-breakingly OP, but it's noticeable. And it would be easy enough to fix: just let the AI upgrade their ships and change their cannon loadouts. It might make combat even more interesting and unpredictable, too. That's one reason why I wish the devs would develop the game further, instead of moving on to the next game. They've made a fun game, now, keep building on that. Oh well.

On topic, are there any other upcoming games where I could get my sailing ship combat fix? I've always had a thing for games with sailing ships. (Every now and then I get nostalgic for Tradewinds 2 and Tradewinds: Legends. Anyone ever played those?) I saw a trailer for Republic of Pirates, a city builder RTS that looks... okay, I guess? Graphics look fricking outdated, but hey, who knows. Ubisoft has/had a (multiplayer, IIRC) fantasy pirate game that was announced so long ago, I can't even remember the name of it. I guess if it hasn't been released by now and I've missed it (which is possible), it's either dead or it's been in development hell for years. Is there anything else?

I've never played any of the Ultimate General games (yet), but that reminds me a bit of Age of Sail. The frigate and small ship combat is really fun. The later missions are heavily focused on ship of the line combat, and they can be a slog because ships of the line in Age of Sail are just boring. Probably the most unbalanced feature of the game is the upgrades, though. You can upgrade your ships to give them substantially more health, speed, melee (boarding) damage, etc, and equip your ships with all manner of different cannons, including carronades that will do significantly more damage in close quarters (where a lot of fighting occurs) than standard cannons. All of this is great, except that the AI never uses any of this, so your ships can have significant advantages even over ships of the same class. It's not game-breakingly OP, but it's noticeable. And it would be easy enough to fix: just let the AI upgrade their ships and change their cannon loadouts. It might make combat even more interesting and unpredictable, too. That's one reason why I wish the devs would develop the game further, instead of moving on to the next game. They've made a fun game, now, keep building on that. Oh well.

On topic, are there any other upcoming games where I could get my sailing ship combat fix? I've always had a thing for games with sailing ships. (Every now and then I get nostalgic for Tradewinds 2 and Tradewinds: Legends. Anyone ever played those?) I saw a trailer for Republic of Pirates, a city builder RTS that looks... okay, I guess? Graphics look fricking outdated, but hey, who knows. Ubisoft has/had a (multiplayer, IIRC) fantasy pirate game that was announced so long ago, I can't even remember the name of it. I guess if it hasn't been released by now and I've missed it (which is possible), it's either dead or it's been in development hell for years. Is there anything else?
There's nothing that's really all that spectacular.

You've got Rise of Piracy which seems like it could be interesting, but not a lot of info about it, so just kinda gotta wait and see. You've got Sea Dogs: Legendary Edition which is basically just the old Age of Pirates games, so it's sure to have some jank. You've got Caribbean Legend which might actually be the same thing as Sea Dogs: Legendary Edition considering it's the same developer. Will probably be fun, but who knows?

You've also got Uncharted Waters Origin which is basically a remake of Uncharted Waters: New Horizons, and also added some admirals from Uncharted Waters Gaiden (which was never released in English originally). It's got some gacha BS that you can ignore, it's kind of like a quasi-MMO because there's other players that are on at the same time (there's two servers; the PVP one which is basically dead, and the PVE one which is active). I really only play it for the story and the sandbox elements and ignore the gacha stuff. Doing that, I find it fun. The battles are like Uncharted Waters though in that they're turn based. In some ways it's like EVE online, but with sailing ships in the late 16th-early 17th century (but also has some weird timeline shenanigans going on as well, with some 18th and 19th century ships and historical individuals that can join your crew).

Thanks for sharing that. I... I hope it's good. The graphics were kinda disappointing, but maybe it was recorded on a console. The character models, lighting, and animations could be better. Indy looks good, but the Nazis in the opening scene did not. My enthusiasm dropped in the first few seconds, and then slowly recovered throughout the rest of the trailer. We didn't see enough of the gameplay to know if it will be good or not, especially the combat. I love the movies, I want to be excited about the game, but I'm still skeptical.

Yes. The graphics look 2015, but I like the old school look. It's clearly a classic adventure game of "action-cut scene-puzzle-cut scene-action..." repeat.
It mostly comes down to how well the story is written. If it's good you can forgive some wonky combat mechanics.
But the title is daft and I fear it's just about Indy circling the Earth, visiting ancient, famous sites and realising (ta-da!) that they're connected.

I thought the first game was really boring, and only played it 2-3 hours, I think.
But the trailers and the whole lore of the games is pretty fun to watch.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom