Unofficial Troop Editor 1.9 for troops.txt file

Users who are viewing this thread

Charidemus said:
Please HokieBT can you put the older versions of the troop editor back on the repository? i'm using vista and version 1.2 doesn't work with my pc

can you try renaming (or deleting) the TroopEditor.exe.local file and then right-clicking and choose to 'execute as administrator' ?   A *.local files is a trick in windows to get OCX and DLL files to work but maybe it doesn't work in Vista....    Since several people have reported issues with Vista and my Troop Editor I'm going to try and release an updated version that doesn't use that OCX file.  I may see if you and a few others can try it out before I release it to everybody.

Can a few people download this program and let me know if the 'Browse Folder' button works and what operating system you are using?  If this functionality works in Windows Vista and other OS's then I'll switch my Troop Editor so you just specify the folder you want to modify and not the actual files themselves.  This will remove the COMDLG32 and all those errors.

http://rapidshare.com/files/106906376/BrowseTest.zip.html

Great tool as I have posted before, but how would one go about editing the faces?
Are there certain codes that are used?
Sorry for the noob question but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Spawn Of Achilles said:
Great tool as I have posted before, but how would one go about editing the faces?
Are there certain codes that are used?
Sorry for the noob question but any help would be greatly appreciated.

well, version 1.2 of my editor allows you to enter your own face codes (a hexadecimal number).  If the troop is a single hero or lord the game only uses Face1.  If you are modifying the faces on your troops then for each troop it picks a random face between Face1 and Face2.  If you want to generate a face code (hexadecimal number) then you need to do the following:

1) start mount & blade and click configuration
2) on the Video tab click 'Start Windowed'
3) on the advanced tab, click 'Edit Mode'
4) start a new game, when you get to the Face Generator screen press CTRL+E.  This should add a box to the top of the face window with a long set of numbers.  If you click on it then it adds it to the clipboard so you can paste that into Face1 or Face2 in my editor.

For other Vista folks, registering the .dll and .ocx file wasn't working for me and deleting the .local didn't work either.  What did work was running it in Windows XP compatibility mode.  Just right-click on TroopEditor.exe, go to "Properties", then click on the "Compatibility" tab and check "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and set it to XP SP2.  Made it run great for me.

Spawn Of Achilles said:
A great tool, that I have used for .903. Is it compatible with .808?  I figured it was, but I just wanted to check before I screwed anything up.

I have only tested it with .903 so I am not sure if it will be compatible with other versions.  I would expect some or all changes to work but they may have made changes to the format of the troops.txt file between versions.  As long as you backup your troops.txt file it would be fine to experiment with it in other versions.  If it does work or you do have any issues then post them here.

Firstly, this is brilliant :razz:

Secondly...For a future version, could you possibly add an add/copy/whatever button? It would save me having to duplicate a troop in the txt file just to add a new unit.

Thirdly (This is just my wishful thinking ^^) Dialog editor. Nao. Please and thankyou :razz:

Charidemus said:
for future versions, can you make the editor able to go full screen?

allowing the TroopEditor to maximize & minimize is easy, and I just switched that in version 1.3 I am working on.  Making all the boxes re-size automatically so it fills the screen is more difficult so not sure I'll have time to do that.

Taimat396 said:
Firstly, this is brilliant :razz:
Secondly...For a future version, could you possibly add an add/copy/whatever button? It would save me having to duplicate a troop in the txt file just to add a new unit.
Thirdly (This is just my wishful thinking ^^) Dialog editor. Nao. Please and thankyou :razz:

1) thanks!

2) I could potentially include an add/copy button but I was worried doing this may mess up other files and the game itself.  It seems like other files may mention troops by their number (ie. #120) so if you add a new troop line you change the number of the next troops which may mess things up...    Have people been doing this manually  without any problems?

3) Dialog editor may be possible, I'll take a look.  I haven't looked at those text files before so if anybody has suggestions on how to edit them manually then let me know

When I did it, I just copied the bottom troop/item text in the txt file and pasted it below...It automatically assigns a new number to it.

Parties are fairly easy to edit though :sad:

If Dialog isn't an option, parties would be fine :razz: 'Tis a step to a new full editor.

Dain Ironfoot said:
I think perhaps a party editor is a slightly more logical step to take initially :wink:

agreed, I'm working on adding the ability to modify the party_templates.txt file for 1.3.  Let me know what other files people directly edit and I'll see if I can incorporate those as well. 

I get the component COMDLG32.OCX or one of its dependencies not correct registered:a file missing or invalid!! :shock:
I tried everything! i got vista. Tried running as the administrator but the promblem was still there.
I didnt understand that thing about copying in windows/system32/ thing sry. :sad:

I really whuld like to try this. I need to edit some troops!! :grin:

EDIT: Oh the run on Windows SP2 in compatability worked  :grin:

Back
Top Bottom