Ukraine Today

Users who are viewing this thread

(FYI I have no opinion, only side with the civilian people of Ukranie and Russia, war is a RACKET)

Well come on then, you don't throw a statement like that out there and expect not to be asked about it.
Who do you think is on the receiving end of the war, the civilian people of Ukraine or the civilian people of Russia?

Well come on then, you don't throw a statement like that out there and expect not to be asked about it.
Who do you think is on the receiving end of the war, the civilian people of Ukraine or the civilian people of Russia?
I dont know how it is to live either place, but its obviously worse to be bombed, why are you asking these questions? What if I were pro-russia, what then? You would roast me to death? Why do opinion matter? Do you actually know what is actually going on?

I dont know how it is to live either place, but its obviously worse to be bombed, why are you asking these questions? What if I were pro-russia, what then? You would roast me to death? Why do opinion matter? Do you actually know what is actually going on?
It is just dramatically far worse to be bombed, see your countryman including children been killed without a valid reason not to mention leveling the country to the ground. Why do you ask him asking questions? Why do you even compare those things...

You can have an opinion but first, get your facts straight.

You wouldn't be roasted to death, I'm not Russian, but you explicitly stating that you have no opinion clearly shows an opinion.

If you were pro-russia then that would also answer the follow up questions you asked. Horked, you are allowed to have opinions and the propaganda shown on TV is just that, propaganda.

You wouldn't be roasted to death, I'm not Russian, but you explicitly stating that you have no opinion clearly shows an opinion.

If you were pro-russia then that would also answer the follow up questions you asked. Horked, you are allowed to have opinions and the propaganda shown on TV is just that, propaganda.
I have no opinion because I believe in God and according to the bible all terrible things happen for a reason, I dont want to derail this into religious argument, Im just stating why I have no opinion, or keep neutral. Besides, chances are that if you do have an opinion, that what you believe isnt true because of the exact thing you said, TV and news is propaganda, if you live in the so-called west, you get 1 kind of propaganda and another if you live in the east. Opinions are like assholes, evertbody got one.

if you live in the so-called west, you get 1 kind of propaganda and another if you live in the east. Opinions are like assholes, evertbody got one.
Unless there's some super-propaganda that managed to hide the fact that people of Ukraine were summoning Old Gods to rule the world once more, in which case I'll be fine if still a bit irked about my eternal suffering, **** off with that lowkey 'both sides' attitude.

There's one country, however ****ty it would or would not be, and the other, that decided to march their troops to **** the first one on pretense of **** knows why, because it changes depending on the day of the week. I don't need clairvoyance and omnipotence to know who's the ******* here.

I have no opinion because I believe in God and according to the bible all terrible things happen for a reason, I dont want to derail this into religious argument, Im just stating why I have no opinion, or keep neutral. Besides, chances are that if you do have an opinion, that what you believe isnt true because of the exact thing you said, TV and news is propaganda, if you live in the so-called west, you get 1 kind of propaganda and another if you live in the east. Opinions are like assholes, evertbody got one.
It is happening for a reason. The reason being that Putin is a bag of dicks.

He is one of the two people on my ignore list, he wastes other people's time. The other is that dude that has a thread about bald guy pictures, though I'm removing him now and ignoring the thread, which is smarter.

I'm not the list? I'm surprised, haven't been the nicest feller roaming these threads.

That must be complete bliss. If I were to come into your home, beat it up, beat you up, kill your family and friends, take your money and burn the house you'd roll over and not have any opinion or feeling on the matter? Because it'd happen for a reason? Or would you fight back, defend your home, your family, your rights? I reckon it's the latter. Pacifism is a luxury, one made out of ignorance.

Horked, it is admirable that you are hesitant to condemn on a basis of being uninformed. But being uninformed and sticking your head in the sand are two very different things. On the spectrum of right and wrong there is a grey area in the middle where one should be hesitant to condemn without knowing all the facts. But on the broader ends of those spectrum it should not be a question. The one thing the bible does so well is envision that spectrum. To show what is right and what is wrong, good and evil, god or satan.
“Defend the weak and the fatherless; uphold the cause of the poor and oppressed.”

I really wouldn't want to derail the thread but, troll or not, this is such an interesting point of view.

As you may have noticed the Ukraine war attracts all kinds of bottom-feeders to try to comment on it and stay relevant.
One of them is Francis "end of history when" Fukuyama, who made some comments based on consensus mixed with his bold predictions about the inevitable march of democracy and capitalism to victory.

Here are some comments courtesy of the Independent, but they are available elsewhere too:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...raine-invasion-francis-fukuyama-b2035413.html
(if you don't like paywalls, you may find this interesting for academic purposes only)

“A Russian defeat will make possible a ‘new birth of freedom,’ and get us out of our funk about the declining state of global democracy,” he wrote.

“The spirit of 1989 will live on, thanks to a bunch of brave Ukrainians,” he added
“The collapse of their position could be sudden and catastrophic, rather than happening slowly through a war of attrition. The army in the field will reach a point where it can neither be supplied nor withdrawn, and morale will vaporize,” he said.
“This is at least true in the north; the Russians are doing better in the south, but those positions would be hard to maintain if the north collapses.”

I think that at least two things are wrong here: that Russia will evolve into democracy after a stalemate/defeat and that their northern position at Kiev will suddenly collapse.
Let's see what the experts think.

I'm not the list? I'm surprised, haven't been the nicest feller roaming these threads.
I'm sorry, you don't even register as a candidate. Try useless provocations to get a rise out of people if you really like being on lists.

Last edited:
Why not? Russia went to democratization after failure wars.

Emancipation reform of 1861 was adopted after loss in Crimean War.

And founding of a parliament - State Duma - after failure in Japan war in 1905.
I have two reasons why Russia will continue to be an authoritarian and not democratic state:
- it's a federation that needs strong central rule to keep the non-Russian ethnic regions from seceding
- most people are okay with a conservative, nationalist dictatorship and don't want the internal strife and uncertainty brought by real political parties fighting each other for power

I have two reasons why Russia will continue to be an authoritarian and not democratic state:
- it's a federation that needs strong central rule to keep the non-Russian ethnic regions from seceding
- most people are okay with a conservative, nationalist dictatorship and don't want the internal strife and uncertainty brought by real political parties fighting each other for power

Interesting! I had a convo about a mate of mine regarding this subject. He stated that the Russians had a dictatorial rule for eons and were fine living the way they did. But up until the collapse in 1991 Ukraine was also a part of the USSR. After the collapse they embraced democracy with such heart that they are now risking their lives to hold it. Well, I say embraced, it did take a few decades to "adapt". And Ukraine had Russia meddling with elections, bribing officials and in general lighting fires. If you were to take that factor out of the way, how long would it take for a former dictatorial ruled country to adapt to a more democractic government?

I think that at least two things are wrong here: that Russia will evolve into democracy after a stalemate/defeat and that their northern position at Kiev will suddenly collapse.

But I do think you're right here. It won't just happen with a mere stalemate or just a "defeat". A collapse would have to be so catastrophic or shocking that reform is the only way forward. But what event would have enough impact to envoke such change?

There are literally no signs that Russia would ever go full or even partially democratic. This can be only done by either majority of society being interested or by heavy outside interference forcing the country to be governed that way (e.g. Allies influence on Western Germany after the WW2). It seems that shortly after the collapse of the Soviet Union Russians were far more optimistic to actually become less authoritarian country but not too much to stop Putin in his race for power. He methodically eliminated all sorts of oponents and i feel Russians very well know how their country is run. Less you say the longer you live. What is different nowadays is that majority of them lived quite decent lives until now and this may make them at least a bit unhappy on how 'military operation' obsoleted their life standards. But i still think they will be told to go nuts, join the army and restore the USSR which they will most likely obey to.

There are literally no signs that Russia would ever go full or even partially democratic. This can be only done by either majority of society being interested or by heavy outside interference forcing the country to be governed that way (e.g. Allies influence on Western Germany after the WW2). It seems that shortly after the collapse of the Soviet Union Russians were far more optimistic to actually become less authoritarian country but not too much to stop Putin in his race for power. He methodically eliminated all sorts of oponents and i feel Russians very well know how their country is run. Less you say the longer you live. What is different nowadays is that majority of them lived quite decent lives until now and this may make them at least a bit unhappy on how 'military operation' obsoleted their life standards. But i still think they will be told to go nuts, join the army and restore the USSR which they will most likely obey to.

Yes! Putin's rise and reign as dictator perpetua can be compared, and bear with me, with how frogs are prepared. Frogs are a delicacy in some places and find their way on french menu's but also a lot in the far east. Frogs need to be boiled and they need to be boiled alive. But if a frog touches boiling water it will jump out. So they lower the frog in cold water and slowly raise the temperature. The frog will just sit still even when the water gets boiling. I think this analogy can also be applied here. Our only hope however is that the water is not yet boiling and that the heat gets turned up too high and too fast, so the frog will still jump out. If the water is already boiling and the frog is already dead.. Well, then bon appetit because we're ****ed.

Here are some comments courtesy of the Independent, but they are available elsewhere too:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...raine-invasion-francis-fukuyama-b2035413.html

While it's frustrating for everyone to follow a link only to be unable to read the content because of a paywall, there is usually a good reason for a paywall. It's paying the wages of professional journalists, something that society should value. Ripping them off will help kill mainstream media (proper, professional and accountable media) and pave the way to everyone getting news from TikTok and Youtube.

Back
Top Bottom