UI Needs an Overhaul...

Users who are viewing this thread

After spending many hours working on this mod, looking at the native UI objects is starting to get to me.  I'd like to see all these get replaced in the future.  Check your Mount & Blade\Textures folder to see their current native versions.  If you have the time and want to try and work on some appropriate replacements that will fit in Talera, give it a try.  We will be somewhat picky as to the quality of the proposed replacements, so please present your best work.  If no one else has the time, I'll look into it myself down the road.

Ideally, each faction would have their own theme, but I'm not sure if these are hard coded somewhere or not to only use one mesh and texture file.  For now, I suppose a generally fantasy based UI theme would be nice to have.

character_window.dds
cursor.dds
dialog_window.dds
interface.dds
note_window.dds
quests_window.dds

Just something to think about if any talented graphic artists out there are bored. 

Hey Kardio. My upload is acting up... again, so I guess I've got time to post :smile:

In one of my other mods I experimented around with the UI. Its quite easy to modify - provided we're only touching the background textures. We can't rearrange the positioning of boxes or change the text, as you probably know, but it is possible to make quite a profound change. The most I can do though is some contrast or colour tweaking - we'd be much better off with a more experienced photoshopper helping us out, no doubt.

Cookie Eating Huskarl said:
i think we should get GT to do the UI

Hehe, yeh. He's taking a bit of a break from more serious work, however, so if he doesn't want to its fine.

Morrowind Mod Man said:
Elenmmare said:
Hey Kardio.My upload is acting up.
Oh, GOD!
nooooooooooooooooo

Heh, trying again now. Hang in there!

Glaehron Turaehon (sp?!)

Funny though, I have/used to have a friend named JT. Crazy bastard :smile:.

JT as in Jeffrey Town?

GT is a good texture modder. He made a lot of banners for us.

Nope, my JT is Chinese too. I know, makes no sense with his last name, but heh.

half chinese perhaps, anyway, sorry for the off-topic, lets get back to buisness :mrgreen:

What kind of Dialog window do you want? You could ask the With fire and sword guy for his dialog screen, if not, i could try getting my bro to do it.

My boss is a JT.  I didn't think he was chinese, but you guys got me thinking now.....  :smile:

Fire and Sword, from the screenshots I've seen, has had some excellent UI changes made.  It is a good part of the reason why that mod has had a lot of attention as well.  I highly doubt they would want to share any of their work as it appears they have put a lot of time into it. 

I've not experimented enough to see how they completely removed the panels from the screen to get that more open dialog look.  Something like that would be nice, or just something where the borders and colors have more of a Talera fantasy appeal.

I think they might have tweaked around with the alpha layers..etc.

I'm not an expert at all with image manipulation, but I'm pretty sure alpha layers make things transparent.

Glaehron Turaanen said:
GT... lol.

I'm home for a bit anyways so I should have enough time to work on the UI. Any special requirements on the looks?

i was wondering if we could put more than one ui layouts. like they cycle in a random order. one time u start, it's a feron styled ui. Another time, planelord, illoriaon ... etc. Something like that, possible to do?

I've already ran into a problem...

Only thing I can do is drawing and texturing and the likes, I don't even know how to open those DDS files. Like I could take an ingame screenshots and put all of my skill in patching up the looks but that's that. I have no experience as a 'modder' at all so when it comes down to coding and the thing I can't be of any help unless somone can give me a link to some Guide for Dummies  :smile:

Glaehron Turaanen said:
I've already ran into a problem...

Only thing I can do is drawing and texturing and the likes, I don't even know how to open those DDS files. Like I could take an ingame screenshots and put all of my skill in patching up the looks but that's that. I have no experience as a 'modder' at all so when it comes down to coding and the thing I can't be of any help unless somone can give me a link to some Guide for Dummies  :smile:

google dds converters. Convert them to bitmap (bmp) or other viewable form, or get a program that can read .dds files

Hey Glaehron. No worries about the .DDS files. I'll convert them for you, you can edit them in whatever format you what, send them back to me, and I'll convert them back.

I'll see if I can set up you a link.

Edit: Hehe, I had to go through the alphabet song to find the quests_window file. Is that sad or what?

Back
Top Bottom