SP Antiquity The Punic Wars.

Users who are viewing this thread

I'll check my Ospreys for more detailed descriptions later, but roughly:

- iberian troops - mostly heavy infantry.
- baleric slingers
- numidian cavalry
- celtic/goth infantry

...and probably more, I don't now recall :smile:

Then perhaps Carthage shouldn't have a troop tree. Simply a large pool of hirable, non-upgradable mercenaries.

They'll all be upgradable into veterans. Maybe i should have a troop tree for the Numidians or the rare Carthaginian.

I'm moving to a new thread.

Merlkir said:
I'll check my Ospreys for more detailed descriptions later, but roughly:

- iberian troops - mostly heavy infantry.
- baleric slingers
- numidian cavalry
- celtic/goth infantry

...and probably more, I don't now recall :smile:
alot of libyans, and some greeks. and dont forget the sacred band! they served Hannibal to the end. the first troops to accompany him, and the last to die.

In Rome: Total War, there are plenty of Carthaginian troops with their names, armor, weaknesses etc.

Maybe you'll get an inspiration from there.

"Libyan" back then simply meant they were from North Africa, and were not "pure" Numidian nor "pure" Punic. The name "Africa" came from the Romans, who named entire regions often after single tribes. When the Romans/Italians first met the Hellenes, the tribe they met were the "Graeci", thus the entire people are still known erroneously as "Greeks" today. The "Afer" were a tribe in North Africa. In ancient times the Phoenicians/Ponnim called Africa "Lubim" (Lubim) and the Hellenes called it Libya. Modern Hellenes is a different thing. But in the time-period in question, the Romans are quite alone in calling the area "Africa." Perhaps the Gallic Celts used the same name, considering their close relations with the Latin language over hundreds of years.

We have a unit list for them on our website:

http://www.europabarbarorum.com/factions_karthadastim_units.html

corrections to names:
Leebi-Feenikim = Lubim-Ponnim
Afrikanim = Lubim
Parashim = Parasim (Shin is not pronounced in Puniic)
Feenikim = Ponnim

Some are still not translated properly.. some of it is due to the fact that we don't know what the Phoenicians called Iberia for example.

Shigawire said:
"Libyan" back then simply meant they were from North Africa, and were not "pure" Numidian nor "pure" Punic. The name "Africa" came from the Romans, who named entire regions often after single tribes. When the Romans/Italians first met the Hellenes, the tribe they met were the "Graeci", thus the entire people are still known erroneously as "Greeks" today. The "Afer" were a tribe in North Africa.

We have a unit list for them on our website:

http://www.europabarbarorum.com/factions_karthadastim_units.html

corrections to names:
Leebi-Feenikim = Lubim-Ponnim
Afrikanim = Lubim
Parashim = Parasim (Shin is not pronounced in Puniic)
Feenikim = Ponnim

Some are still not translated properly.. some of it is due to the fact that we don't know what the Phoenicians called Iberia for example.

awesome info, but please, use the new thread.

ur..you could add mercs for carthage like Scutum(they inspired romans tactics of throwing pilum in then charging with a sword,they also inspired roman gladius design)basically scutum are iberian mercs,they are older version of the roman legionarys.You could add Libyan Skirmishers(javelineers)and Libyan Cavalry(mounted libyan skirmishers,armed with daggers a shield and a javelin).They are some basic ideas for mercs of carthage.Btw scutum armour is like khergit armour except coloured yellow,they also wear plumed helms and celt shields,and a yellow short skirt.Btw the reason to add spartans greeks and stuff is like so they fight in the background,and you could go to their villages to buy armour weps etc.Dont forget to add the macedonians :grin:

Stop Necroing. This thread is probably dead considering no one h as posted in 2 months or so. If The last post was more than a month ago leave it alone. Please.

Back
Top Bottom