The PKK

Users who are viewing this thread

I think the concern is that Turkey feel threatened by the autonomous Kurds in Northern Iraq, and intend to strike and destabilise the autonomous region.

Doesn't make sense though, surely destabilising the region would only make matters worse?

I don't think so. The lack of stability takes it roots from the existence of conflicting benefits. Eliminating or weakening one of those factors would contribute to stabilising the region. To be more clear, the PKK is a factor that claims rights in North Iraq. Any authority at the edge of making a decision regarding the area has to take into account the effects of armed interventions from the PKK, making the situation even more complicated.

I was thinking more about the effect a Turkish attack on the autonomous area itself would have on the PKK, and removing the nascent authorities of the area would only serve to remove the prime agency capable of restricting, or at least putting pressure, on the PKK themselves. Besides which, an unstable border with Iraq would mean a porous border with Iraq, which isn't going to be in Turkey's interest. I suspect any move would be aimed more towards appeasing Turkish citizenry than anything else, and of course it would set an example to the autonomous regions of what happens if they fail to control the PKK element. Naturally, it depends on Turkey's handling of any action in the area - if they screw up it could have the opposite effect.

Archonsod said:
I think the concern is that Turkey feel threatened by the autonomous Kurds in Northern Iraq, and intend to strike and destabilise the autonomous region.

Doesn't make sense though, surely destabilising the region would only make matters worse?
If the Iraqi Kurds do form a separate Kurdistan as many think, the Turkish Kurds will get much more agitated.  Striking to quell that now does make some sense.

Back
Top Bottom