The Official Art thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Decided to retouch my Necromancer guy, I would appreciate any thoughts/critique.

23hlqa0.jpg

I think some elements such as the drapery are good but the colour and lighting needs touching up. Your colour choices almost make it look like a highly compressed JPEG colour palette, artistic choice or not.

The dominating colours are rusty brown and dark green/blue with not much contrast in between, and you've mixed them together. Greens/blues from the jacket can be seen mixed into the scarf and skin. Limited colours can look beautiful although in this case I don't think it works with this.

Also, I made this really messy and hard to follow image to show you where your lighting is going wrong, light blue lines where I think highlights should aproximately be and red circles showing errors (I know it's not perfect but I'm very tired and in a hurry so no time for perfect lighting!)

ulzMrIf.png
LDyh33T.png

COMIC SANS!!!!111

Also, either his right leg is too short, or his pants are down on one side.
The jaw can use some work too, it's too weak. Reconstruct the torso too, if you're up for it, it's off.

About the light bending... don't forget that a lof ot the light that hits the object usually is reflected light from other surfaces, so it's okay if it's present but not dominant.

Cruor_Volt said:
About the light bending... don't forget that a lof ot the light that hits the object usually is reflected light from other surfaces, so it's okay if it's present but not dominant.

Yes, but if there are multiple sources of light it must be consistent throughout, you can't light a part of a surface and not the rest of it.

If you decide to go for it, try varying the color/intensity/thickness of the different highlights a bit.

SacredStoneHead said:
Cruor_Volt said:

Yes, but if there are multiple sources of light it must be consistent throughout, you can't light a part of a surface and not the rest of it.

If you decide to go for it, try varying the color/intensity/thickness of the different highlights a bit.

Of course. I meant it in the context of the coat's underside, that should receive a bit of reflected light from the ground surface, should have clarified that on the spot.
To anyone interested in further reading I'd recommend picking up James Gurney's "Color and light. A guide for the realist painter", fantastic book.

Even if it's black it still reflects some light, and ambient light commonly is exactly that - light that lost its power after reflections in the clowds.

Big thanks for all the feedback!  :!:
I tried to implement all your suggestions as best I could without spending too much time on this one. It's far from the quality I'd like to achieve one day but I have to draw a line somewhere so I will consider this version done. 

JNWg4ib.jpg

Better. Much better.
I think his legs/pants/shoes still need work, but if you don't want to spend more time on it, just write it down somewhere, so you don't make the same mistakes in future.

Back
Top Bottom