The Official Art thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Austupaio said:
Bought my wife some clay and gave her some subject matter, turned out awesome.

snail_by_ddraigeneth-d5msucz.png
war_of_the_slime_by_ddraigeneth-d5n1081.png

She's working on an officer, now.
Those look absolutely awesome!

Good stuff in the last couple of pages!

I think my skeleton rider is finished. (suits the forum skin quite well :grin: )
skeleton_rider_by_soundchaser1-d5n7tk6.png

I like the Frazetta-ish feeling you gave to the composition, the moon behind him gives that outworld atmosphere, it's great.

Though, I was hoping a bit more of sinister details, a more terrorizing look to it, for example, making the horse with a more undead appearance, like apparent bones under the skin, cataracted eyes, that kind of stuff.

But anyways, the technique is superb, very nice job  :smile:

Hehe... it took me so much effort to get everything just about right that I really couldn't be bothered with adding any more detail :grin: The horse especially was a *****.

But you're right, it would be better with a bit of something. Got to practise.

So, quick question:

I've been trying to draw a girl's face for the last one hour, and my last (and best) attempt turned out a figure that looked like a Noldor male with long hair rather than what I want, i.e. OMG KAWAII DESU. What gives?

Argeus the Paladin said:
So, quick question:

I've been trying to draw a girl's face for the last one hour, and my last (and best) attempt turned out a figure that looked like a Noldor male with long hair rather than what I want, i.e. OMG KAWAII DESU. What gives?

Posting the drawing would help immensely, you know, as of yet it's impossible to see what's wrong :razz:

I remember reading this about adding too much lines in drawings:
Highelf said:
about the youthful, sad girl:

you're making it difficult for yourself here tbh. Youthful: lack of detail and lines. The more lines a face has, the more it looks old. Generally when you wanna draw someone young, you want to put as least possible on the paper. (not only talking about wrinkles here) its really a skill in itself. (drawing a face with few lines)

On the other hand, emotions like sadness require you to put in vital wrinkles - which fights against what I said above. Therefore I can understand what you're trying to do is pretty damn annoying.

I would suggest using a least possible lines but still keeping the general deformation of the face using the lines you would draw a neutral face. Don't add too much, just deform it. Furthermore, I'd suggest looking at a baby face, and an 80 year old's face next to each other (extremes) so you can see the differences in facial proportion. If you want to give the youthness across, but want as few pencil on the paper as possible you'll have to focus on, and exaggerate proportions of the face. (eg. old people = bigger noses and ears, so give your character a small nose and small ears and she'll look younger without actually adding or taking away detail.)

Its easier to draw old people and its very easy to unintentionally do so. :smile:
I believe this applies to females as well as younger people. Less lines, and espesially less shading (IMHO, that; When I try to give a girl's face shading, it looks like an unshaved male face).
Most important are the eyes and mouth, I believe. Too much details might really ruin things there; some simple lines might be enough for the mouth (which should be smaller than a males' one, IMO).

^ This is all from my personal experience and may or may not be useful to you...

BTW, I just tried to draw a group of Cardinal's Musketeers, but I totally ruined it by doing it with my pen. Also, I penned over a small drawing of a woman for the first time, and it didn't turn out as bad as I feared. Might or might not scan it today maybe...
EDIT:
pendrawing1001.png

Sound Chaser said:
Good stuff in the last couple of pages!

I think my skeleton rider is finished. (suits the forum skin quite well :grin: )
skeleton_rider_by_soundchaser1-d5n7tk6.png
Dude, he is Death, destroyer of worlds.

SacredStoneHead said:
FrisianDude said:
@Mythology talk earlier, I drew a minotaur two weeks ago. I'll see if I can find it. :grin:

I remember you saying something about your drawings when I posted an early version of the nordic stuff I was doing.

Curious to see it :smile:
I can't possibly claim to be anywhere near as good as some people in this thread, but the people in my class usually like what I sketch. :razz:
****ty pictures
RD_Rz.jpg
Ye3dM.jpg

(the paper is, actually, white.)

Drew this today in my spare time. I am happy with posing, but it looks a bit too flat. Any suggestion/criticism on this matter is more than welcome.

img20121209214810edit0e.jpg

^ I'm not sure what it is; but that, ehh, sash or something (the horizontal stripes 'interrupting' the vertical ones on the back) is straight at the back; I would make it curved, and have the left end bent upwards in the drawing...

Also, just drawed this:
pencildrawing1001.png
I find it extremely hard to draw anything remotely resembling a female face from a 45o angle. This is one of the very rare cases in which I actually manage to draw it right. From the side (or even from the front) is easier, although still relatively hard...

Back
Top Bottom