The Mariner's Shanty

Users who are viewing this thread

Delora Filth

Do you want to run this ship?
Marquis
Well, there's a thread solely about cars. So I figure we might as well have one about boats and ships too. I can't be the only one here who's into the life aquatic.

Post about your boat, cool boats you've seen, navy stuff for those who're doing that, kayaking, canoeing etc. The possibilities are es endless as the oceans.

I'll kick it off.

This is the S/V Skaði. My new home. She's a 37 foot custom build Bruce Roberts Cutter. 13 tonnes of steel and long-keeled fury. Built to cross open oceans.
Bought her last summer and sailed her from Lofoten to Oslo over the next two months. Awesome trip!

iEMS0.jpg

I plan to live on her year round.

Here she is moored in a fjord in the Westlands last summer.
mWSIN.jpg

Here's a few pics from a small trip last weekend with kiddo and my folks.
Y9ybc.jpg
YxpTF.jpg

And here she is in her house-mode.
AwYRj.jpg

I've known a couple of boat dwelling people before, it seems like romantic but unforgiving living conditions. Skaði is looking good and I'm pretty sure I walked past where you keep her moored last weekend.
Have you tried living on the boat in winter yet? That sounds like the biggest challenge to me, along with how damn humid it gets in Oslo. I heard of a guy who put a stove inside his boat which sounds very cozy but hazardous.

I love boats, especially wooden ones. When I was 15 I had my own rowing boat which I bought with my own money, unfortunately it was wooden and designed with fresh water in mind and I kept it moored out in the water. That's what people always did in my family, but they lived a little farther north where there's no shipworm and similar. Additionally I kept the boat in a sheltered bay where the water is usually quite hot. One day my dad was out in the boat and stepped right through the hull, it was like cardboard from being eaten from the inside. There was also something growing underneath which I still don't know what the hell was, but it looked and smelled absolutely disgusting. That's my boat story, boats rule and I want to own one again and take better care of it.

dDgQFaZ.jpg

Yeah, it's moored out between Skøyen and Lysaker. It's well insulated, so winter shouldn't be too awful. My buddy lived on his boat all last winter and that went fine. And his boat is less insulated than mine. You just need a good dehumidifier.

Aaaaah, ****. That looks like rot-mould. And the stuff that looks like pus filled boils I've seen before too. Nasty ****. Wooden boats need a lot of maintenance. Get aluminium next time. Next to zero work.

Swing by one day if you feel like it.

Yeah, we should get drunk on that damn boat one of these days.  :razz:
Guess I didn't walk past it then, I thought it was moored between Aker Brygge and Bygdøy.

Nice thread!

cUY7m.jpg

Depending on whether I get enough people (but I am more likely to succeed), I am off to sea again this autumn.

Oh hey I can relate to this thread. Maybe not in the traditional sense of a ship but yeah. When I get time I'll upload the videos of the inside of my last ship. She was clean and well run  :shifty:

As they should be. (Mine absolutely isn't).

BenKenobi said:
Nice thread!

cUY7m.jpg

Depending on whether I get enough people (but I am more likely to succeed), I am off to sea again this autumn.
Cool! What kinda boat is it? And where do you usually sail?

Croatia for a number of reasons. It is cheap (a week on a boat with everything included (boat rent, food, anchoring, fuel for both the boat and cars, a dinner in a restaurant) is around 450E per person) , Croatian coast has probably the highest density of bays, islands and other places where you can anchor, Adriatic is relatively calm wave-wise. I was also sailing in Greece, Italy and France but not as a skipper. I would like to try the ocean sometimes.

This particular boat is the family car of pleasure yachts - Bavaria 36. Nothing fancy, nothing insulting, certainly not sporty. But it does not have a bow thruster so docking in high wind is quite an experience  :grin: We mainly take Bavarias (36, 37, 46, 49 -depending on a number of people on board) as they are rather cheap while offering everything you can want from it (again, apart from being sporty) but I was also on Jeanneu and Benetau.

Also, I see you have a sail that folds onto the yard. Those are great fun. Charter companies in Croatia have almost exclusively sails that go into the mast  :cry:

Yeeeah, and pretty close too if memory serves. Looked at a few boats moored in Croatia and Turkey. But didn't bother going that far to get it.

Aaaaah, Bavaria. I lnow her well. The Volvo 240 of sailboats indeed. Prefab junk, but fun if used correctly. Wouldn't take one into open ocean though. See goes for Benetau. The fin-keel makes it not too great for tackling the currents in open seas. But they're really great and comfy coastal sailers. Perfect for the trips you've been doing.
I don't have a bow thruster either. But my boat is 13 tonnes, as opposed to the 5-6 of an average Bavaria 39. So she's steady, even in decent winds.

Yep. The automatic ones that roll into theast are less arduous to deal with. But absolute hell if something breaks. Skaði's built to use primarily the Genoa though. (It goes all the way back to the cockpit!) Since she's built to be sailable for one person alone. Mainsail is largely for balance, like an oversized mizzen. But damn does it go when you butterfly!

Used to have a canoe; still do, but it has a hole in it on the keel amidships nearly a foot in diametre. It was in our shed when the neighbour's dead oak tree decided to lose a limb during a wind storm. Smashed into/through the roof and destroyed the canoe secured up in the rafters. Naturally it was the only thing in the shed to be destroyed, and the only thing in the shed worth serious money... and naturally insurance only covered rebuilding the shed and not the boat. "One of these summers, we're going to rebuild it..." we keep saying. I used to enjoy taking it up the rivers around Sauble and just park someplace quiet and fish without any hope of catching anything.

That tree is still threatening the property, nearly the whole trunk is arched over the shed. One of these summers...

Bluehawk Classic said:
Awwwww. Canoeing is nice.

BenKenobi said:
Well, that is the point of the genoa  :grin:
I meant past the cockpit. It's usually meant to stop so you have the rope-ring just about level with the front of the cockpit. At least on most sailboats I've seen. They might rig them slightly differently down south though for all I know.

Yes, I meant that I agree that boats with genoa are built primarily to rely on genoa rather than the main sail  :razz:

And yes, I have never been on a boat where genoa ropes were fixed past the cockpit.

Aaaah. Nice! Most boats up here are rigged to use primarily mainsail, with just a smaller foresail that goes back to about the main mast for some reason. Probably for stability with the bipolar ****ing winds we often get in the fjords and due to the craggy coastline. So thought it might be more prevalent further south.

I know too many people who are susceptible to seasickness.  I remember in the 90s on a trip to Denmark from newcastle, I had 3 people in my cabin who were lying down throwing up all the damned time.  I was happy to spend time exploring the ship.

Had a friend, even for a short 1 hour boat trip he needed to take scopalamine, a truth drug to help suppress his seasickness.  His wife was worse, if we took a windy road on a taxi he asks if she's feeling alright since she's so sensitive to motion sickness.

Glad I don't have that problem.  Should've been a sailor, but my swimming skills are mediocre.

That south korean boat accident that happened a few years ago, I figure the captain couldn't swim since he was first off the boat.

Hey, whats the normal practice for leaving a flooding compartment?  I think I know the answer but does anyone else know?

You kick everyone else in the shins to get out first.

Glad I don't get seasick either. Only time I felt mildly nauseous was lying on my stomach with my head down into the keel compartment to get beer in 7 metre waves. If that's the worst of it I think I'll manage.

Back
Top Bottom