The Horde Lands v1.22 released!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Keedo420

Knight at Arms
This is a fantasy mod for M&B v1.011. It is designed to compile some of my favorite features from other mods (such as Kingdom Management) and to present a brand new setting for people to play in. The mod is still in early development and there are many things that still need to be tested and additional features/content that need to be implemented, but there is an alpha version available for download if you would like to help bug-test or just get a preview. Everything you need to know about the mod (including features, credits, current bugs, and screenshots) can be found here: http://s1.zetaboards.com/Road_To_Nowhere/forum/1202607/
The current version of this mod is Alpha v1.22. Check here for d/l & installation instructions for the multi-file download (recommended if you have a slow internet connection): http://s1.zetaboards.com/Road_To_Nowhere/topic/2369335/1/
Also, Knightmaster has made 1.22 available in a single-file download (recommended if you have a fast connection). You can download it here: http://www.filefront.com/14396399/The-Horde-Lands-v1.22.rar/
To view the FAQ/Guide, click here: The Horde Lands FAQ/Guide

Brief Background Story
Long ago, a young man named Wayland lived in the village of Velor on a small island just off the coast of a much larger island known as the Horde Lands (named for the numerous barbaric hordes of humans, elves, goblins, and orcs). The people of Wayland's clan lived in relative peace from the hordes of the mainland. The small island his clan called home was also home to six other human clans. A series of misunderstandings led to war between the clans. When Wayland joined up with his clan's militia to protect his village, he accidentally uncovered a plot by a vengeful necromancer named Greygor who was manipulating the clans into war and stealing the corpses from their battles in order to raise an army of undead. Wayland travelled from village to village to settle the disputes and unite the clans against Greygor. Wayland led the combined forces of the seven clans against Greygor at his castle on the southern shore. Greygor was thought to have been destroyed and his army was defeated. The clans' newfound unity led to the formation of the Kingdom of Velor, with Wayland being crowned king. Years passed and Wayland married and had a child. However, shortly after the birth of his son, Greygor returned with a vengeance, striking without warning all across the kingdom with an army far stronger than before. Wayland, seeing the imminent defeat of his people, led the survivors to the mainland where they established a new city. Wayland quickly formed an alliance with the elves to fend off the goblins and orcs. Many years passed. As Greygor strengthened his hold on their former homeland, the Kingdom Of Velor began to spread throughout the Horde Lands. United with the elves, they began to push back and pacify the various clans of orcs and goblins. But as the Velorians spread civilization across the Horde Lands and integrated elves, orcs, and goblins into their society, Greygor was hard at work to spread his influence as well. He found his greatest tool in the Dark Elves. While many were proud and honorable warriors, an equal number were cruel and sadistic. Working in secret, Greygor used the Dark Elves to help in his corruption of the Kingdom of Velor. The peace and civility of the Horde Lands began to break down and civil war overtook the Velorians until numerous factions broke away and formed their own kingdoms. This is the state of the Lands as you set out to make a name for yourself. The fate of the Horde Lands is up to you. Will you help one of the factions to gain dominance or will you seek to spread chaos? Or perhaps you will decide to establish your own kingdom and unify the Lands as Wayland once did.

That is a VERY condensed version of a novel-sized story I wrote many years ago. I intend to work many of the details of that story including history, town names, and characters into this mod.

If you would like to help promote this mod, please use the code for one of the images below in your sig to display the image and link to this mod's development forum.

Code:
[URL=http://s1.zetaboards.com/Road_To_Nowhere/forum/1202607/][IMG]http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/3360/hlbanner1xp9.gif[/IMG][/URL]
hlbanner1xp9.gif

Code:
[URL=http://s1.zetaboards.com/Road_To_Nowhere/forum/1202607/][IMG]http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/4359/hordelandsbannerapm3.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
hordelandsbannerapm3.jpg

Code:
[URL=http://s1.zetaboards.com/Road_To_Nowhere/forum/1202607/][IMG]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/5614/hordelandsbannerbfr9.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
hordelandsbannerbfr9.jpg

Sounds promising. I liked the background story as well.

Good luck! I'm looking for to this.

Muglos said:
Sounds promising. I liked the background story as well.

Good luck! I'm looking for to this.

Thanks. I was slightly intimidated by the python coding at first, but it's turning out to be a lot of fun. Also, I was doing some more testing on the Beard crash, and the transparent hair made me remember that along with Cartread's Skeleton and Skeletal Horse meshes, there is also a transparent skeleton mesh (no transparent skull though). So I attached the Skull to the transparent skeleton, threw on the transparent hair, and voila!!! Now I have an 8th race for the mod....Ghost! You only really get the full effect if you are wearing no armor, but that just adds challenge on top of the fun of playing a ghostly skeleton.  :mrgreen: Oh....and there is also the Ghost Horse (transparent skeletal horse)!! Looks awesome. Has the same animation problem as the Skeletal Horse, but I'll fix that later. I'll post some screenshots tomorrow. But now it is late and I should be sleeping. Work comes early tomorrow.  :neutral:

Nice!  :grin:

I wouldn't know where to start on any ofthe graphics or coding. I'm just a gamer.  :smile: Its nice to know you are figuring things out on your own. If you need any testers I would be glad to help with balancing and things like that when you get that far.

Wow, looks like our mods have something in common; 2 factions of humans, 1 of undead, and elves.

If you have any questions on how we implemented our stuff feel free to stroll over to our forum or send me a PM. Good luck with it.

Thanks Elenmmare. I appreciate that.

Here are a few screenshots I took earlier as I was testing out the Ghost player race and some of the new undead troops I added.

EDIT: Screenshots moved to first post.

Yes, it is indeed a skeleton horse.  :mrgreen: It was created by Cartread and is in the Repository under the New Items/Characters category. It was created for version .960 I believe, but aside from the animation problem it works fine in version 1.011. If anyone else downloads that for their mod and manages to fix the animation problem before I get around to it, I'd appreciate it if you let me know how you did it and/or link me to your mod d/l so I can export the fixed skeleton and save myself some headache.  :lol:

:mrgreen: Yes it is quite fun to see it on the battlefield.

Now here are a few screenshots of me fighting a group of orc, goblin, and dark elf peasants.

EDIT: Screenshots moved to first post.

OK, so now I get back to adding items to the mod.  :grin:

Well here's a little miini-update on my progress. I've added 18 new items today and tested them out in-game. Also, I tidied up the first post and moved the screenshots up there. Much more organized now.  :mrgreen: Well anyway, I'm done for today. It's past my bedtime. This mod is causing me to lose sleep.  :lol: Well, goodnight!

When you get into the nitty-gritty of the mod are you going to implement improved quests and things like that?

Well I suppose improved will be a matter of opinion, but yes, once I start getting into the full conversion, I intend to alter the Native quests to fit my new setting, as well as add new quests related to the background story and new npcs I will eventually add. As far as improving the quests, I would like them to be more than just "go here, do this, come back for reward" type of quests, but I haven't looked into the coding of quests yet so I don't want to make too many promises about that yet. :razz:

Ah! No more typical "Go find the apple under the tree, and bring it back to me and receive your reward."  LOL  :wink:

EDITED* What I mean by improved quests is are you going to make them more diverse and longer. Plus in native they are so repetitive and there aren't that many of them.

Yes, I would definitely like to increase the number of different types of quests, and how you receive them. For instance, instead of just going up to a lord and asking for a quest, you might find some strange object off of a random enemy and while most merchants would simply buy it from you, a chance encounter with the right npc while having that object in your inventory would set off a conversation that starts a quest. (i.e. "What is THAT? That Strange Ring you have there. NO! It can't be!! That was supposed to have been destroyed ages ago! My precious!!"...no just kidding, but you get the idea)
Quests with multiple paths/endings is something else I would like to try. Returning to the ring example again, after the above conversation, you take it to a different npc to see if they can identify it. Now if you take it to the right npc...say a wizard in a pointy hat who likes to hang around with short people, he would instantly know what it is, but if you were to take it to the wrong npc, he would be all...let me hang on to this for a while to study it and I'll get back to you...and then on your way out his guards try to kill you and next thing you know, his army is unstoppable.

Hmm. I am getting a little ahead of myself, but yes, I definitely want to improve the quests.  :razz:

That sounds fun!

How about you find a precious artifact and two different Kingdoms want it and you choose which king to give it to? Obviously this would lead to people liking or disliking you and could even lead to war!  :shock:

Back
Top Bottom