The companions I'm making

Do you like the idea of the new companions?

• Yes

Votes: 192 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • You lazy ass making us do the work! :p

Votes: 24 10.7%
  • Try... read my post

Votes: 4 1.8%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

SaintRouge said:
So not to sound narcissistic or anything, but while editing my companion I may have used up the 40000 character limit. :mrgreen:

I had to take out some previously written stuff to make just enough room for what I wrote, so is it ok if I use this post to put in any more ideas I come up with? (pardon the double post)
Sure put any ideas up you may have. What about this character limit btw?

Computica said:
SaintRouge said:
So not to sound narcissistic or anything, but while editing my companion I may have used up the 40000 character limit. :mrgreen:

I had to take out some previously written stuff to make just enough room for what I wrote, so is it ok if I use this post to put in any more ideas I come up with? (pardon the double post)
Sure put any ideas up you may have. What about this character limit btw?

Thanks Comp, it's good to know I can put any new ideas in that post.

So the story goes my computer wasn't connecting to the Internet, but after watching Braveheart I had another idea for my companion so I used my crappy phone keyboard (like I am now) to type out the final half of the A New Start, or whatever I named it, when my phone ran out of battery. So I had to start over from scratch. When I finished I was relieved I put down what I had in mind, but my content was quickly ended when it didn't submit and at the top of the page in red text it said my post was over the 40000 character limit. So I then thought it was my fault for embellishing so much, so I really trimmed down the new, er, chapter(?) and made it smaller. It appeared that I did not appease the TW forum Gods so they punished me with the limit again. So after getting rid of stuff from my original post to make room I made that post.

And that is how you answer a simple question in the most excruciatingly long and pointless post ever. They read sadly ever after.

This is my first post so here goes.

#npc19 Republic of Marinia inspired
Name: Johnathan (It doesn't matter)
Fighting Style: Johnathan is a skilled musketeer that uses a shock musket. He also uses a long glaive and a Black army board shield as his melee gear. Johnathan is a powerful offensive and defensive soldier. With his powerful skills he is an extremely capable melee and ranged combatant. His armor is a set of Dark Ornate plate armor(Is this an armor? If not an armor, Ornate plate armor) with a Dark Helmet(helmet that gives body armor and head armor) and dark gauntlets

Personality: Johnathan is an honorable man, that was dishonored. He is generally quiet and is a lone wolf. He believes in Natural Philosophy.

Back story: Johnathan was of noble birth but soon a war between the Sarranid Sultanate and the Marinian Republic went sour for the Marinians. Through a mistake by the recruiter, Johnathan's nobility was marked out and he, at the age of 16 was thrust on to the front. Johnathan fought valiantly defeating cavalry charges, and killing many. Johnathan quickly proved his worth on the battlefield. He was quickly promoted to Elite Infantrymen. During the turning point of the war, Johnathan was pulled after the nobility mishap had been uncovered he was pulled back. Enjoying the thrill of war, he quickly went back to the fight as a Marinian Condottiero. He fought his way through hordes of Sarranid infantry and shot many Mamlukes off their warhorses. He was wounded in battle and brought back home. Johnathan left home to travel around. During his travels he met a preacher. From the preacher he learned about Natural Philosophy. Enlightened he traveled around the continent of Ponavosa spreading the word. No one listened, frustrated he went back home. At the age of 20 he was called in to another war. This time against the Khergits. He fought brutal battles with his many, less experienced comrades retreating or dying. His refusal to retreat in battle had him court martialed, as he disobeyed a direct order. He was about to be court martialed until the siege of Thopica destroyed most of the garrison. He was rushed to be garrisoned in Thopica. He lost his honor but not his rank and was considered a weak leader. As he waited there he was promoted to a powerful Faith Troop. He was finally relieved. He took his equipment and decided to hire himself out as a mercenary.   

This is my first post. I will post the dialogue in the next post.

Dialogue for above post
J(Johnathan)
P(Player)
Player goes to talk to a young man with an Anime haircut.
J: Sir, are you in need of a marksman?
P: I don't know. What's it to you?
    Sorry, I have no need.(Rejection)
J: Are you sure you want to know?
P: Sure, I have time.
    I have no time for stories.(Rejection)
J: Well, I used to be a noble that never left home. But several years back, as always, the Marinians and the damned Sarranids went to war. I was conscripted by some dim-wit recruiter who thought I was another peasant. He had me sent me to the frontlines. I was 16 years of age and I knew nothing about advanced warfare or military tactics. Still I fought valiantly and the fact that my superiors died every hour, I made my way up to the rank of Elite Infantry. There I was called back, they'd found out I was nobility serving along side peasants. Although, my fellow Elites weren't half bad for peasants. Once home I did hate the peace so I left again, and was conscripted as a Marinian Mercenary and I fought valiantly enough to be promoted twice to the rank of Condottiero. Although fighting like hell, I was wounded and again sent back home. I was confined to bed and it bored me so I left home. I met a preacher in Ashberry who taught me about Natural Philosophy. I was enlightened and I went to preach my new found faith. Everybody rejected my faith and laughed, I was frustrated and so I decided to end my short-lived journey and went to aid my nation in war. This time Marinia was against the Kahnate. I conscripted again as a Condottiero and fought against the Kahnate, my noble and peasant comrades died quickly though. Finally, while besieging a castle we were overwhelmed, most of my army was slaughtered, and my commanding officer ordered me to retreat, an order which I refused, I was honorable, it was death before dishonor, but finally a recruit knocked me out and forced me to retreat. I was imprisoned and ready to be court martialed and executed, until Thopica was left with less than 50 men from a siege by the Kahns. I was garrisoned there with until a brother of Philosophy, who happened to be my commander, promoted me to a legendary Faith Troop. I was relieved after our defeat from the Kahns. I am now 22 years of age and I visited many taverns to be hired as a marksman. But none proved fruitful. So I turned up here and met you.
P: I will hire you.
    I have no need for dishonorable soldiers.(Rejection)
J: I require 5000 denars.
P: Sure, I need a good soldier.
    This is madness! Get out of my sight you thief!(Rejection)

Johnathan's Skills
Level 21
Stregth 19
Agility 9
Intelligence 8
Charisma 5
Power Strike 9
Ironflesh 9
Shield 5
Surgery 5
Athletics 5
Polearms 300
Firearms 350
Equipment
Masterwork Shock Musket
Elite Pike
Black Army Heavy Board Shield
Hardened Dark Helmet
Lordly Dark Ornate Plate Armor
Lordly Dark Ornate Plate Boots
Lordly Dark Gauntlets

Your companion looks good, but you probably could have fit all that into one post with the Modify option, but seeing as it's your first post(s) it's not really your fault, I didn't know about that option when I first joined.

*Constructive Criticism* I noticed there was a lot of periods ending the sentences making it sound pretty choppy, with knowing about the Modify option it may sound better if you take some periods out and maybe extend the sentence or just add comma's. I'm not sure if giving him at the get-go the best gear and stats available is the best option, Companions in Native were originally meant to be party members that you found and leveled up with you and allowed you to assign them set positions in your warband, and on paper that sounds good but of course in Native all the companions are just murder machines and chances are that's what it will turn out to be, but y'know I guess I'm just contradicting myself so give him all the armour and skills you want!  :razz:

I didn't pay very much attention in English class obviously.
Thanks for the constructive criticism, though.
I wanted to make him a companion that could handle himself and give the player a less skill and equipment management on this particular companion.
Maybe an End Game character?

more powerfull companions can just cost a bit more gold to make them more for the later game. If the hero of this mod, computica finds some time after he did the massive amount of work waiting for him he could even make some companions quest optainable only :p

Yeah the whole companion system may well have a very new look in the overhaul (it is quite experimental hush hush)

But the idea of 'super comapnions' could even be developed so that you might get access to certain companions based on your choices/successes/failures maybe (I don't know if this is possible I am just thinking out loud) So if you are a marinian by birth, you may find a marinian Super companion wanting to join you maybe.. (I don't know but if possible it could be fun and increase the replay choices of the player :grin:)

exactly, I think there are a lot of 'conditional' triggers that can be set/run to allow/disallow things. I am just not sure what the specific conditions that are available.

BTW: i just worked 2 hours on the companions.

The first 3 are finished stat and equipment wise,

the rest I have prepared as in: they all exist, but are coppies of the originals. They all have blank dialogues so its eayser to enter their speech. If anyone wants to help a bit with the work (mostly dialogues is a tough one) i will be more than happy to paste your work into the module.string or other files.

Always happy to help with dialogue work any mod work I can actually do in general :grin:

Feel free to PM me a shopping list and I will set to work as the lightning bolts of inspiration hits me, but some creative writing excercise would probably do me good at the minute :smile:

you can always check some of the characters posted in the first post, look at their backstory etc and then write some stuf for them.

What every companion needs:

("npc32_intro", "              "),
("npc32_intro_response_1", "        "),
("npc32_intro_response_2", "        "),
("npc32_backstory_a", "          "),
("npc32_backstory_b", "          "),
("npc32_backstory_c", "        "),
("npc32_backstory_later", "      "),
("npc32_backstory_response_1", "        "),
("npc32_backstory_response_2", "          "),
("npc32_signup", "          "),
("npc32_signup_2", "            "),
("npc32_signup_response_1", "          "),
("npc32_signup_response_2", "          "),
("npc32_payment", "        "),
("npc32_payment_response", "            "),
("npc32_morality_speech", "          "),
("npc32_2ary_morality_speech", "          "),
("npc32_personalityclash_speech", "        "),                X
("npc32_personalityclash_speech_b", "        "),            X
("npc32_personalityclash2_speech", "        "),              X
("npc32_personalityclash2_speech_b", "        "),          X
("npc32_personalitymatch_speech", "        "),                X
("npc32_personalitymatch_speech_b", "        "),            X
("npc32_retirement_speech", "          "),
("npc32_rehire_speech", "          "),
("npc32_home_intro", "          "),
("npc32_home_description", "          "),
("npc32_home_description_2", "          "),
("npc32_home_recap", "        "),
("npc32_kingsupport_1","                "),
("npc32_kingsupport_2", "          "),
("npc32_kingsupport_2a", "          "),
("npc32_kingsupport_2b", "        "),
("npc32_kingsupport_3", "          "),
("npc32_kingsupport_objection", "      "),  X
("npc32_intel_mission", "          "),
("npc32_fief_acceptance", "          "),
("npc32_turn_against", "          "),

Should anyone make any dialogues, just state the name of the companion you are writing the dialogues for. Don't write the dialogues of personality clash and match. I still have to make their likes and dislikes. Als the kingsupport objection is something I will do.

For all ease, I will put an X behind dialogues that you guys shouldn't make. And I shall start a list on the first post with companions who have complete dialogues.

@manekemaan  Good stuff man! I'm glad your still working on this.
@TeleGlitch It's fine to have companion themed companions all you really need is dialog and a back story to match.
LibSpit said:
But the idea of 'super comapnions' could even be developed so that you might get access to certain companions based on your choices/successes/failures maybe (I don't know if this is possible I am just thinking out loud) So if you are a marinian by birth, you may find a marinian Super companion wanting to join you maybe.. (I don't know but if possible it could be fun and increase the replay choices of the player :grin:)
Yes that is very possible and easy to do. Especially with the new system (hush, hush, shush, shush) It'll be easy to set certain requirements per *troop/companion* other than do you have this much gold. Also I can make it so that the gold cost for companions is dynamic by calculating there skills.

Back
Top Bottom