Taleworlds announces the commercialization of their game engine~

Users who are viewing this thread

Yes, you can no longer just be a MOD developer. You can use Taleworld's game engine to develop your own games, if you want to become an independent game developer~

This is a joke but honestly I think the Taleworlds engine itself is pretty good. BL performs and looks pretty good - and how many other games in it's genre exist? Absolutely none lol. Part large overworld with many many agents doing their own thing on the map, and combat is a third person medieval warfare simulator that can support 1000+ characters on the screen. Throw in solid RPG mechanics like loot and skill trees and economic simulation, and the engine is actually pretty great and unique lol.

This is a joke but honestly I think the Taleworlds engine itself is pretty good. BL performs and looks pretty good - and how many other games in it's genre exist? Absolutely none lol. Part large overworld with many many agents doing their own thing on the map, and combat is a third person medieval warfare simulator that can support 1000+ characters on the screen. Throw in solid RPG mechanics like loot and skill trees and economic simulation, and the engine is actually pretty great and unique lol.
We need WB engine to develop DND games

There's one major flaw in this engine and that is it has very little ability for Line of Sight built in. Probably one of the reasons we can have such huge AI battles is theres not 6 cores being loaded up with constant calculation of the AI's ability to spot and/or hide from each other. They always know where the enemy is at all times. But as we know -this is a huge aspect of real world battles and why flanking maneuvers, tactical retreat and ambush are so vital.

There's one major flaw in this engine and that is it has very little ability for Line of Sight built in. Probably one of the reasons we can have such huge AI battles is theres not 6 cores being loaded up with constant calculation of the AI's ability to spot and/or hide from each other. They always know where the enemy is at all times. But as we know -this is a huge aspect of real world battles and why flanking maneuvers, tactical retreat and ambush are so vital.
We can design different AI alert levels to achieve different effects, and we have achieved good results.

Who is we? Please show me a working proof of concept for an LOS system that can handle anywhere close to the normal amount of units

Last edited:

Ok I could only use Google translate and say the pictures of what appeared to be a stealth type-attack of one character. This is already in the base game in such scenes as Bandit Hideouts and Prison escapes. That is a totally different animal than having a real LOS for actual troops on the battlefield - do you have any examples of this? You would have 100's if not thousands of Line of sight checks per all these units per frame(or few frames) all while all of these swings, blocks, horses, arrows are already being calculated.

Small scenes is more of a gimmick and not what im talking about at all

Ok I could only use Google translate and say the pictures of what appeared to be a stealth type-attack of one character. This is already in the base game in such scenes as Bandit Hideouts and Prison escapes. That is a totally different animal than having a real LOS for actual troops on the battlefield - do you have any examples of this? You would have 100's if not thousands of Line of sight checks per all these units per frame(or few frames) all while all of these swings, blocks, horses, arrows are already being calculated.

Small scenes is more of a gimmick and not what im talking about at all
You would have 100's if not thousands of Line of sight checks per all these units per frame(or few frames) all while all of these swings, blocks, horses, arrows are already being calculated.
CPU not allowed, too much computation will cause frame drops

You would have 100's if not thousands of Line of sight checks per all these units per frame(or few frames) all while all of these swings, blocks, horses, arrows are already being calculated.
CPU not allowed, too much computation will cause frame drops

Yes I know -so your basically just reiterating my point -this engine cant handle any real LOS checks in a meaningful way.

I will pay for it,But it's not the BL engine, it's the WB engine.
It is indeed possible.

To my knowledge, several external developers have utilized the WB engine to create their own games, having acquired the necessary licenses to do so. A prime example of this is "Blood and Gold: Caribbean ()," a game developed with the WB engine. Notably, it wasn't published by TaleWorlds, indicating that it's an external project.

Should you be interested in pursuing a similar path, the first step is to reach out through their Business and General Inquiries channel. You can contact them at [email protected].

It is indeed possible.

To my knowledge, several external developers have utilized the WB engine to create their own games, having acquired the necessary licenses to do so. A prime example of this is "Blood and Gold: Caribbean ()," a game developed with the WB engine. Notably, it wasn't published by TaleWorlds, indicating that it's an external project.

Should you be interested in pursuing a similar path, the first step is to reach out through their Business and General Inquiries channel. You can contact them at [email protected].

Thank you very much for your improvement. As you know, the WB engine is very old and there are limitations to developing games with MS. Therefore, on the one hand, I want to obtain the right to use the source code and upgrade the game engine foundation. On the other hand, I need to find an effective way to obtain copyright. The WB engine is not yet a publicly available commercial game engine.

If the WB engine is open source, perhaps you can add these basic function, as MS has limitations.
What is MS?

Im actually surprised how little battle AI has advanced in terms of gaming over the past 20 years. Every other dept. of gaming has really improved, Graphics, Shader, Animations but not really AI considering the trajectory it was on. Many games of the early 2000's are still considered the standard.

What is MS?

Im actually surprised how little battle AI has advanced in terms of gaming over the past 20 years. Every other dept. of gaming has really improved, Graphics, Shader, Animations but not really AI considering the trajectory it was on. Many games of the early 2000's are still considered the standard.
MS=Module.system
Nowadays, for many people, the pleasure of developing games outweighs the pleasure of playing games.
In the future, AI can be used to customize private games and generate virtual reality. Currently, I use AI to analyze source code and optimize it.

I can vouch that the standard Warband Engine cannot handle a lot of agents doing proper LOS checks at real-time. I tested it with one of my earlier Modifications (Napoleonic Zombies). If you go beyond the 100 mark it will surefire crash, if it didn't already by the time you were on a slightly more advanced map than a few entities. (Scaling by * of faces of collision meshes).
It was possible to have a slightly more interactive AI that did not actively pursue the Player 24/7 and was even able to move independently and not KOS everyone whenever they could (Burst Firing of Automatic Weapons, Moving to specified map points, Scaling Firerate by distance to enemy, not shooting within a certain distance, Detection threshold based on objects around player and clothes, triggering alerts that scale around hordes that would then be alarmed, the ability to unalert them by shaking them off etc.) Not all of those made it into the release version.
However I did not pursue any further development due to the Engine Limits already edged by the simple features.

I can vouch that the standard Warband Engine cannot handle a lot of agents doing proper LOS checks at real-time. I tested it with one of my earlier Modifications (Napoleonic Zombies). If you go beyond the 100 mark it will surefire crash, if it didn't already by the time you were on a slightly more advanced map than a few entities. (Scaling by * of faces of collision meshes).
It was possible to have a slightly more interactive AI that did not actively pursue the Player 24/7 and was even able to move independently and not KOS everyone whenever they could (Burst Firing of Automatic Weapons, Moving to specified map points, Scaling Firerate by distance to enemy, not shooting within a certain distance, Detection threshold based on objects around player and clothes, triggering alerts that scale around hordes that would then be alarmed, the ability to unalert them by shaking them off etc.) Not all of those made it into the release version.
However I did not pursue any further development due to the Engine Limits already edged by the simple features.

Nice attempt tho. The only time ive seen any semblance and feeling of LOS was Ruthven had a mod for Warband in which the entire game was played in open world -meaning connected real time battle scenes. It was extremely immersive to ride to the crest of a hill, and see a line of marching soldiers both Infantry and Cav but movin at a realistic travel pace -having no idea who they were friend/foe and following them for a while without getting spotted. I dont think people realize how amazing such an advancement would be had the Devs been working on something like this the whole time. Makes the whole world feel alive.

Back
Top Bottom