Stronger companions - a small "submod"/"fix"

Users who are viewing this thread

Ilja

Recruit
So, since I dislike that farmers are level 15 while the companion NPC's that are described as "mighty warriors" etc are 1st level beggars, I made some changes.
Basically, now they're more in range with other units in the game, ranging from level 9 to level 33 at recruitment, and having equipment appropriate for their role and background.

- Primarily I increased their level and skills quite drastically. All companions have the same amount of stat/skill points relative to their level, the stat points is the same number as a tier2 soldier such as Guard has (31+Level stat points) and skill points are 5+Level+Int. Thus, if you recruit a companion that's level 9 and train it to level 25 it will have the same amount of stat and skill (assuming equal int) points as a companion recruited at level 25.
The varying levels mean if you recruit someone at high levels, you get a competent and powerful character right away, but that doesn't have much customizability - if you recruit a low-level character it will be weak in the beginning but you can choose more for it.

- I also increased recruitment price to balance it; price is roughly 200 coins for a level 15 +30% per level above that, plus half of what the character's equipment would cost (so 200*(1.3^level)+equipcost/2). I've eyeballed it too some but that's the baseline. The cheapest companion is free, the most expensive costs 11500.

- In some cases, the dialogues where strange in terms of grammar and content, and I made a few fixes to that (there are more fixes that could be done of course). Also, one of the picts (npc_basher) where partly typoed in the strings.txt to be npc_bashe which would give errors so I fixed that.

- Lastly, I felt that most of the companions that weren't taken from native had very limited/non-existant backgrounds, so I added/altered a little bit. There are still some boring ones like the two picts.

I made the changes primarily for myself, but thought that others might enjoy them as well as I've seen comments indicating such things. I know there's a submod that adds more companions and remove companion conflicts; this mod doesn't do that, because I feel the number of companions are fine and because I like the conflicts.

If you feel like you want to test it out, here they are:
Wikisend link
EDIT: Found a bug already, updated with fixed version.

This is for standard brytenwalda without TML, if people are interested I can do a TML version too. The link is up for 90 days, if people actually are interested in it I could get a more long-term upload.

Here's a (not exact, don't want to spoil the details) list of the companions relative strength at recruitment:
High-level (24+): Athrwoys, Lothar, Orosio, Clovis, Connor
Medium-level (20+): Bridei, Ceawloin, Liuva, Brian, Eadwine, Mihael, Inka
Low level (16-19): Osmund, Bodero, Eadfrith, Aleifr, Frioc, Siwi, Gwenlian, Ultan
Very low level (=<15): Eithne, Aedh, Ciniod, Onuist, Agasicles, Matui

Of course, if you do use it and notice any bugs, please notify me :smile:

Sorry for bumping but can anyone re-upload this submob?

I would like to use it very much since it makes the companions a bit more like what they boast and if the reports are right, it helps fixing the pest lords problem.

Stopped playing M&B quite some time ago, and just got the feel for it again... Came back here to get my hands on my own submod and realized it was gone.

Have now searched my harddrives as crazy, with no luck.

Sorry to say so but this submod is gone. If I get caught up in Brytenwalda again enough to care, I might redo it from scratch. Sorry!

It seems I'll be redoing them, or at least the skills part of them, might not bother with equipment since equipment both takes quite some time to do and mostly has no long-term effect when you've hired them. I'm also making it simpler, making everyone level 15/19/23/27 and making recruitment price 400/1000/2000/4000 respectively, and not remaking the background presentations. At least not in the close vicinity.

Thought I'd just play the mod as is, but then I realized the training skill is literally worthless as you have to level the NPC's to level 16 to even be able to train tier one troops (and that is still so sloooow).

Back
Top Bottom