• Glitch

Votes: 18 27.7%
  • Novakid

Votes: 5 7.7%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

screen1.png
Link to original post
Also includes what each member of the team is doing, for anyone interested.

Combat Part 1: Shields

March 9, 2012 in News

One of the things we wanted to do with Starbound was give the combat a lot of depth and flow. We’re aiming to rival the depth of combat you’re used to seeing in huge modern RPGs like Skyrim or Amalur.

Weapons in Starbound can be placed in either the left or right hand (which correspond with the left and right mouse button). Some weapons are two handed, others (like shields) are one handed. Picking two weapons or tools that compliment each other is a big part of being combat effective. Will you choose two daggers? A sword and a shield? An axe and a gun? It’s up to you.
quickbar.png

The combat system in Starbound spans many different tools and weapons, far too many to mention in a single post. So I thought I’d start with one we haven’t really discussed yet. And that’s shields.

Touching (most) enemies in Starbound won’t damage the player directly, instead enemies must go through an attack animation to damage the player. This opens up the gameplay massively to blocking and counter attacks. And that’s where shields come in.
attack1.gif

Once equipped to the left or right hand, shields are brought out by holding the corresponding mouse button. If the player is attacked during this period they take a small percentage (depending on the level of the shield) of regular damage that’s applied to the players health bar as white “recoverable” health.
whitehealth.png

Once combat is over this health will regenerate, however if the player is hit they’ll lose all of their white health. If the player strikes an enemy shortly after blocking an attack the player gets a “counter attack” which is a guaranteed critical hit. We’re experimenting with increasing the counter attack damage further based on the amount of white health the player currently has. Block many attacks and your next counter attack will be devastating.. but slip up and lose it all. Major risk/reward gameplay.
shield-4.gif

On top of all of this, it won’t just be you making use of shields. Humanoid enemies will use them too and some creatures may have natural shields.

More on combat later!

Let me know what you think
Link to original post

Lighting Demo
Link to original post

Eino said:
I see that yer Eyes got caught on starbound aswell. Aye nod? :grin:
Aye as hell! Incredibly excited for this, can't wait to play it, we should get a Taleworlds group together to play later!

This does look promising. That space setup and alien planets give nice random creation possibilities to the terrain themes.

Like in this clip

In traditional fantasy you expect certain elements, but when going to the space and to the strange worlds, only imagination is the limit.

I'm ressurrecting this thread to post a "roadmap" Chucklefish made to show the progress of the game. They're taking their time, but it is to release a complete game and with all features in. http://www.playstarbound.com/roadmap

Can't wait for this game.

http://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/1bsywo/roadmap_admin_mode/

Just something cool you can try. :grin:

http://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/1bsuzq/roadmap_easter_egg/

And something funny too.

Would it help your patience *** revulsion if I noted that TotalBiscuit and Jesse Cox have confirmed doing a Let's Play of this game when it comes out?

Probably not, but it's good news to me, as that show was hilarious.

You think I don't know that? :lol: TB mentioned it during the live PAX podcast. And yeah, I'm very sad that series died off before they actually finished the game. Considering how much trouble the regular bosses gave them, I was really looking forward to seeing them fight the hardmode ones. Ah well.

Also, did you take my comment as being snarky? It wasn't. I'm genuinely looking forward to this. Terraria was amazing, this looks even better.

No not at all. I just know that many people do not like either Jesse Cox or TotalBiscuit, so when I mention them, I make sure to take that into account.

Plus your track record of being snarky.

Given me and Troll did a little two man playthrough of Terraria after the 1.1 update, we're damn well gonna do this too :3

I was totally the competent one.

Hell yeah, been waiting for this for a long time.

I do hope that the little science bases and buildings you see them make in their presentation videos serve a purpose though. It seems like they're just throwing stuff like soda machines and racks of chemicals around willy nilly, I would like for them to mean something.

Back
Top Bottom