space rangers2

Users who are viewing this thread

slavetrader

Recruit
anyone had a chance to play this?

its a masterpiece from a little know company.
solid gold i tell ye.

if you liked the master of orion series - youll love SP2

it has that lovely freeroam feel to it (the very thing i love in mount&blade too)

well no point for me to hail it! see for yourself

http://www.excalibur-publishing.com/space.htm

As a matter of fact, Space Rangers 2 has me hooked. Just found it last week. I beat Keller (the leader of the Kellerite Dominators of course) yesterday. I jumped into a Dominator-held system to find Keller, alone, being attacked by a swarm of Blazeroid Dominators who had him badly damaged. He jumped into his created wormhole, where I followed and defeated him. Sure was nice of those other Dominators to soften him up for me; handy that the 3 enemies fight amongst themselves. :smile:
It's cool that the galaxy starts nearly halfway controlled by the enemy and different systems are won and lost from the two major sides battling, and it's entirely unscripted. Whether you join in or not, people in other systems will be fighting and dying.
There are about 50 Rangers in the galaxy which are ranked from most experienced to least experienced; some focus on fighting the enemy Dominators, some stick mostly to being merchants, some rely heavily on banditry of transport ships. Whenever one dies, a new ranger is created at the bottom of the list with no experience.
A couple of days ago I jumped into a system which Rangers and military ships were fighting to free it from the Dominators, just in time to see the #2 and #6 ranked Rangers get destroyed.

The (optional) ground RTS battles are amusing to do a few times, but as RTS games go, it's kinda lame. The enemies always start with advantageous positions and much more resources (good, a challenge, right?) but the AI is pretty stupid here. It will repeatedly waste large streams of it's units on a heavily defended spot (for over 30 minutes straight sometimes), even when it can't even destroy a single unit of yours, all the while another opponent is taking over it's territory and even attacking it's base. Ah well.

Oh, when you start off, expect to be paying off pirates for a while until you can get better weapons and defences or a better engine to outrun them. At the start, they can easily whip your scrawny butt. Also, consider asking friendly ships to help you out when you're being attacked. They'll often assist you. It's kinda funny seeing a swarm of weakly armed transport ships successfully taking on a well-armed pirate. :smile:

The whole unscripted thing is what I like most about the game.

oh man. i just found the joy of the text-based plantery quests in this game.
great fun and often quite a challenge.

Damn, you make me curious. :cool:

The first time I heared about the game I thought it's nothing special. But after reading the stuff you wrote I think I'll give it a try. :grin:

Is the game sold online only or do I get it in retail also ?
(Can't open the link you post. )

A few places have it retail, but it's kinda hard to find. Easier to order online. It's a fully packaged game on DVD.

Damn thing's addictive... must... resist... ah, hell, I'm going to play it just a little bit more. seeya. :eek:

Yeah, it includes an installation for Space Rangers 1 on the DVD with it. I've been having too much fun with part 2 to try out the old one though.

Yal... Space Rangers 2 and Mount&Blade have both taken a serious toll on my free time. Actually they remind each other a lot since the player is quite free to roam as he will in both of them. Spaceship or a horse: both are equally fine to me. :smile:

Of course SR2 is a bit more complicated and has different kind of subgamesincluded (text-based adventures, RTS etc.) than M&B. But on the other hand M&B isn't quite ready yet. Me loves them both!

OK, after searching about a week for a possibility to order online I'm either dumb or blind because I find nothing. :cry:

So how do you got the game and does exists an online-vendor where I can order without to much trouble ?

You can get the english version at GoGamer.com which comes with the first one also. I assume you wanted the English one?

Very worth getting, I got both my copies in Russia. Lots of good fun.

Thanks for the Link but ... as far as I see they are only shipping within the U.S.
This is a little bit awkward for me because I'm living in good old europe. :???:

Archonsod said:
I can't tell if this is it or not. Was tempted to buy it yesterday with my £5 off voucher, but couldn't tell if it is 1 or 2.
From the description, that does appear to be it since the listed features are for Space Rangers 2. Dunno why they're calling it simply "Space Rangers" though.

Quite a cool game.

Play.com also delivers Space Rangers 2 cheap in EU areas:

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=srmr&page=title&r=PC&title=587129

Back
Top Bottom