Solo: A Star Wars Story thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Teaser shown during the Super Bowl:

There might be a trailer releasing tomorrow. The teaser looks interesting, though I really don't care for the music.

As for the movie itself... I hope it's good. I hope the lead actor can be believable as a young Han Solo: Harrison Ford will be a hard act to follow. I'm afraid I'll end up wishing I was watching a young Harrison Ford, and not this guy. I hope the rest of the movie doesn't suck. For those who haven't heard, apparently it's had some significant production troubles. The directors got canned a while ago, and Ron Howard was brought in to take over. Then again, Rogue One had significant production troubles, and it turned out to be awesome. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I'm kinda pissed off at the premise of this movie in the first place and I'll likely always be biased against it. There's a dozen different "Star Wars Stories" that could be more interesting and broad in a lore / universe sense. I thought Rogue One was an excellent idea and made sense for many reasons, and it was a great movie by all accounts. So I'm surprised and disappointed with this theme so tiny in scope.

Harkon Haakonson said:
I'm kinda pissed off at the premise of this movie in the first place and I'll likely always be biased against it. There's a dozen different "Star Wars Stories" that could be more interesting and broad in a lore / universe sense. I thought Rogue One was an excellent idea and made sense for many reasons, and it was a great movie by all accounts. So I'm surprised and disappointed with this theme so tiny in scope.
Understandable.

Longer teaser:

Yeah I really hope they get Ewan McGregor to do Obi-Wan Wanders the Galaxy story. Or at least Obi-Wan creepily stalks this young boy on Tatooine while cauterizing Sand People with his lightsaber.

I wouldn't be too worried about the production troubles - it was a pretty funky idea to cast the 21 Jump Street / Lego Movie duo to direct something like this and by all accounts they fully intended to make a fart-joke improv comedy, which while funny to potheads, would have tanked the movie itself. If your shoots are causing Lawrence Kasdan to have an aneurysm, you're probably not suitable for the job. While Star Wars isn't super serious, it's not a slapstick comedy either. Ron Howard is a consummate professional and can finish a good product. I just hope that the script isn't too cliche - we don't know how much of it was written by Kasdan and how much by his son Jon Kasdan, who hasn't written anything worthwhile to watch (couple of TV episodes and two ****ty romantic comedies).

I'm hoping for a buddy cop movie vibes combined with a sort of Ocean's Eleven heist-movie stuff.

Add this to the list of origin stories that need not exist.  Sometimes characters work better without one.  I'd be fine seeing a young Han Solo but I really don't care how he got his start.

Alden Ehrenreich looks distinctly uncomfortable in the role.  I was worried about this, since they hired an acting coach well into production.  Doesn't remind me of Harrison Ford's character in any wise.  Should've gone with Anthony Ingruber.  Oh well...

Kinda wondering why they cast this guy over that other guy, who was the lead in that movie called Baby Driver.
This guy feels like a handsome face with very little charisma or any kind of screen presence.

My bet is that its going to be sh!t.
As always with the trailers they look better then the actual movie, darker and more serious yet in reality they end up with a stupid mix of seriousness and stupid marvel humor.
Just my opinion though. 

Moose! said:
Sofia Johanna Jeanette Munsterhjelm von Platen said:
While Star Wars isn't super serious, it's not a slapstick comedy either.
Have you seen The Last Jedi?
Oh come on, it wasn't that bad!

Barry_bon_Loyale said:
Alden Ehrenreich looks distinctly uncomfortable in the role...
Radalan said:
Kinda wondering why they cast this guy ... This guy feels like a handsome face with very little charisma or any kind of screen presence.
Yeah. I know Disney touted that they auditioned over a thousand guys for the role, both US and British actors. Alden was fine in Hail, Caesar! but that was a small supporting role. Scott Eastwood could probably do a great youngish Han Solo but that might just be my vagina talking. But you never know. Internet hated the idea of Heath Ledger as the Joker and he was arguably the best Joker ever. The acting coach bit for Alden was worrisome but it also came on the heels of the director replacement, so maybe it was done to help him change the style he originally used to something that the studio preferred more.

Wonder, maybe they can do a tv series on this or some other canon star wars character.  The humour didn't work on me in these recent movies but at least they didn't use shia laboeuf.

Moose! said:
While Star Wars isn't super serious, it's not a slapstick comedy either.
Have you seen The Last Jedi?
Oh come on, it wasn't that bad!

I agree, and on a second viewing, I'll go so far as to say that I think it's my favorite since Empire!  :eek:

Personally, I'm looking forward to this new movie being terrible.

Back
Top Bottom