Sleeper Cell: Season 1. A TV review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Having recently bought a 3 disk DVD set for the show Splinter Cell, and having thoroughly enjoyed this television show, I decided to make a review, and ask those of us who have seen it to post their comments.

The show is a thriller, and, surprisingly, it isn't the piece of ****ty American propoganda you might expect. It doesn't demonize Islam as being violent. It shows how Islam, like Christianity, is a religion of Peace. Also like Christianity, Islam is easily manipulated to serve political agendas. The characters, also, are not those you might expect to be in an LA sleeper cell.

Darwyn Al-Hakim
An african-american muslim, born and raised in south-central LA.
Ex. US Army Ranger 3rd Battallion.
An undercover FBI agent in the splinter cell

Darwyn is a very compelling character, and definately not a standard action hero. He is a devout muslim, and believes that the killing of innocents is not acceptable, nor is it justified by the Qu'ran. Of course, he hides these feelings from the other cell members, and especially the leader, Faris Al-Farik. He regularily provides information on the cell to his "parole officer", Ray Fuller, who is an FBI agent, and subordinate to Darwyn.

Faris Al-Farik
Unknown background
Possible military training
Leader of the sleeper cell

Faris is cruel, ruthless, and cunning. Not the kind of guy you'd want to annoy. He trusts nobody. It is unknown who his superiors are, and he only appears when necessary, contacting the other cell members by pager, which they only use once, and is replaced every call. He is in charge of a security company, and has the facade of being a devout jew. He is the coach of the Temple baseball team, the "Sinai Maccabees".

Thomas Allen Emerson
Born and raised Berkeley, CA.
Basic military training, attacked superior officer

Blonde, blue haired, and obviously white, Thomas is the last person you'd expect to be a terrorist (unless you're afraid of white people). He is the loose-cannon of the group, and works at a bowling alley, where the group has a hideout. He tends to get on your nerves after a while, and is a pretty pitiful character. He tries to convince Darwyn to help him 'off' his mother, of course Darwyn refuses.

Christian Aumont
French, living in the US
ex. french military conscript

Christian is the badass of the group. He is highly sarcastic, and hateful of American ways. He grew up in the skinhead slums outside of Paris, and transferred his extremist loyalties to the National Front of Islam. He has a Moroccan wife and child, and often ignores messages in the Qu'ran to be faithful, abusing his job as a french-speaking Hollywood tour guide to get some ass.

Ilija
Bosnian, living in the US
Military training (Mujahaddin)

Ilija is the one man who has quite possibly gone through the most pain. He saw his entire family slaughtered by Croats during the breakup of the former Yugoslavia. He participated in the insurgency there, and is Farik's right-hand man.

As you can see, the only clear arab in the whole group is Farik, especially after the other arabic member of the cell was stoned to death in the middle of the desert for bragging to his uncle in Egypt about their operations.

If you've seen the show, or if you have further questions about the show, feel free to post.

I just watched this show on TV over here in the UK, and I've got to say. It's one of the best shows I have seen in a good few years (second only to Prison Break.)

It had quite a climatic ending, and I for one can't wait for season 2!

Well, unless you've seen the finale of the entire show, I don't think it'd be wise to reveal anything to you.

Warning: Spoilers ahead.

After a botched suicide bombing at a baseball stadium, Faris is captured and sent away, Darwyn kills Christian, Thomas blows himself up while on the phone with his mum, and Ilija manages to escape and seeks refuge with a woman he met at the record store. Darwyn, through quick decision, saves more than 150,000 people, as there were two other terrorist cells coordinating attacks respectively in New York and Washington D.C., and Darwyn tips off the FBI.

Back
Top Bottom