Sharpshooter

Users who are viewing this thread

Suggestion still outstanding considering the anti-cavalry utility and having a decent amount of armor for the damage output that the Sharpshooter has. Wonder if the following changes would be welcome:

Crossbow replaced with Long Bow
Heavy Crossbow replaced with Trophy Weapon*
Arbalest replaced with Hickory Crossbow/Strong Bolt

*Grants a random bow from any culture. Does not include Fast Short Bow, Mountain Hunting Bow, Nordic Shortbow, Superior Bow or the generic Shortbow. Iunno, i feel like this might be something worth experimenting with, cuz I dunno how exactly a "faster bow" perk would play in an attempt to reel in the Sharpshooter's damage output, without coming off as too boring.

New Ammo type: Vlandian Bolt. A bolt that's stronger than the Strong Bolt, but only has 20 bolts vs the standard 25. Thinking 80 might be a reasonable damage number for Hickory Crossbow+Vlandian Bolt? For reference, a buffed deals 76 damage, while an unbuffed Arbalest deals 85.

Iunno, i feel like the damage output of the Sharpshooter needs to be reeled in, though I honestly doubt that this will ever happen since TaleWorlds seem insistent about having an untouchable archer class that can still take a few hits from someone who HAS managed to get close enough in melee, only to die pretty quickly because of how good his armor is.

Last edited:
Forget i said anything about longbows on Sharpshooter. Because people still seem to like the idea of the Vlandian heavy archer being able to one-hit bodyshot nearly every infantry and cavalry in the game, I wonder if it'd be worth it to replace the Long Sword with a Vlandian Cavalry Sword?

Reason I suggest this is because cavalry swords are among the slowest one-handed weapons in the game, and being able to use them at all will likely require players to master the kickslash if they don't wanna get killed in close range.

Alternatively, Taleworlds can go ahead and confirm what I already know: Sharpshooter being OP is intentional. Doesn't help that the upcoming blunt weapon nerfs are gonna make him even more untouchable than before.

When will your nerf crossbows already? They are too powerful, almost impossible to kill them as bowmen, unless the opponent is a noob.
Their damage is way too much, their bolts travel too far and too fast, they are too quick to aim and reload too fast.
Join any EU siege game when vlandia is defending and you will see what I am talking about.

When will your nerf crossbows already? They are too powerful, almost impossible to kill them as bowmen, unless the opponent is a noob.
Their damage is way too much, their bolts travel too far and too fast, they are too quick to aim and reload too fast.
Join any EU siege game when vlandia is defending and you will see what I am talking about.
Honestly the main reason why I suggested that the default weapon should be a generic longbow, w/ the perk weapons being the Hickory Crossbow and a trophy weapon from a random culture.

Of course, that idea got shot down, so I guess if crossbows absolutely need to be as powerful as they are, I think the more prudent move would be to actually make him vulnerable in melee, hence this post
Sharpshooter
Even if archers aren't overpowered, the Vlandian heavy archer most certainly is, I think. Armor across multiple heavy archers seems pretty similar across the board, but the Vlandian heavy archer is the only one that deals enough damage to one-hit bodyshot most units in the game. I remember suggesting that longbows should be the default weapon with the Hickory Crossbow being the perk, though that idea has been shot down multiple times so i'm gonna suggest something else: for the Sharpshooter to actually be vulnerable in close combat

Changes to base kit
Long Sword replaced with Vlandian Cavalry Sword
Reason: Being the slowest one-handed weapon in the game, the Sharpshooter will now need to master the kickslash if they wanna survive a melee encounter in the event that they allow an enemy to close in on them. However, I think this will end up punishing people who pick Improved Armor instead of any of the crossbow perks so I guess some tweaks are in order for Perk 1

Perk 1
Improved Armor replaced with Prepared
Still grants +9 Armor and a fancy cape to wear on your person, replaces Vlandian Cavalry Sword with Vlandian Shortsword. Much faster but deals less damage

Reason: See above about how the Vlandian Cavalry Sword would punish people who pick Improved Armor over the stronger crossbows.

Back
Top Bottom