Seeking advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Rhoden

Regular
Greetings fellow multiplayer enthusiasts.

I have a dilemma for which I'm seeking advice.

I've always played with keyboard blocking and attacking. Been doing it for 2-3 years.

But I always keep hearing that real pros play with the Mouse directional controls for attack and blocking.

So my question is: should I drop the keyboard style and switch to the mouse for attack and defense? Also, if I'm already at least average with the keyboard/mouse controls (have reached the top of the scoreboards many times on US GK TDM while going melee) will I be even better with the Mouse controls?

Also, I've noticed that Keyboard controls seem rather slow in comparison to mouse controls as, I may see an attack coming in my mind, but trying to get to it using a keyboard control takes a while. Whereas if I use a mouse for blocking I've noticed that my hand moves almost simultaneously with my actual reaction.

Also a few further questions for the professionals that frequent these boards.

1) Will moving to mouse control finally allow me to perform super fast feints?

2) Will mouse control enable me to chamber better?

3) Will mouse control enable me to improve my footwork? I've noticed that keyboard controls take away from my footwork quite a bit and force me to sometimes stand still when facing pros on duel servers. If I go mouse will this change?

4) Has anyone made the transition from keyboard to mouse? How long does it take to learn the new style? Is any player still using the keyboard controls and actually succeeding at pro level play?

Thanks.

Ebdanian Admiral said:
Mouse is better for some people in certain situations based on their preferences*. I dont use a keyboard for anything when I play so I cant give you any input there.

Hello, this is Conure (Short for Cleverconure), and before I answer your questions, i'd like to introduce myself because I think it's important for you.. It's on topic.... I don't want to be too cringey though.

I've been key blocking and key attacking for 2 years... I have 1380 hours of warband, but with Key block and Key attack I eventually made it within the top 10 NA (Top 6 NA in my prime) because i'm a pretty fast learner like Abellard and Tangawizi.. However, about 4-5 months ago, I switched to mouse block and inverse attack. So, i'm actually in the same shoes as you and I like mouse block and (inverse) mouse attack much better... Okay:

Mouse block:
Pros: Better feints
Pros: Better footwork; can block spam slightly easier
Cons: Blocking is actually slightly slower

Key block:
Pros: Slightly faster blocking and slightly better defense
Cons: Choppy offense and choppy footwork
Cons: Boring

By the way, Key Attack has speed bonus so it's easier to 1 hit kill in duels, though it doesn't really matter too much, because u can always get a 1 hit kill just by aiming at the head, dragging your mouse towards opponent, etc. Plus it's random.

Manry and Ordyn are the best key blockers in NA; Manry uses inverse attack and key block and Ordyn uses mouse attack and key block... But Oodle and Tito and Vorn are a little better. They all mouse block.

A: Yes absolutely. It's literally physically impossible to perform strong feints with key attack and key block... You can hardly even M feint with it.

A: I'm not sure, but chambers aren't super important. It's really the least of your concerns.

3) Will mouse control enable me to improve my footwork? I've noticed that keyboard controls take away from my footwork quite a bit and force me to sometimes stand still when facing pros on duel servers. If I go mouse will this change?
A: Mouse control improves your footwork. More freedom. Also, it's easier to block spam with mouse block than with key block in my opinion.

4) Has anyone made the transition from keyboard to mouse? How long does it take to learn the new style? Is any player still using the keyboard controls and actually succeeding at pro level play?
A: I've made the transition from keyboard to mouse. It took me 3 months to start blocking at a high level with mouse block. And again, Manry and Ordyn are pretty high level and key block..

Before I go, I should mention that, the 2 best players in the WORLD are Tobi and Peter. They are both EU (Europe) and they both mouse block. Tobi inverses and Peter mouse attacks. Then theres Bloody Death, who also mouse blocks and I think he mouse attacks.

Good luck... Uhh, whether you should transition to mouse attack/block is kind of up to you, you can do really really well with key block (in warband dueling, defense is more important than offense), but mouse attack and block is way more creative and more metagame-rich. Way better offense.. and somewhat better footwork. Also, key block is bad (well mediocre) for battle if you're playing infantry. I suggest you switch. Tito, Oodle, Vorn, Magerick, Leo, and other top NA players all use mouse block. Manry is like #5 NA by the way.

P.s. I was accused of autoblocking by many decent players for a little while. This is when I was key blocking in my prime.

Hyperaries said:
Hello, this is Conure (Short for Cleverconure), and before I answer your questions, i'd like to introduce myself because I think it's important for you.. It's on topic.... I don't want to be too cringey though.

I've been key blocking and key attacking for 2 years... I have 1380 hours of warband, but with Key block and Key attack I eventually made it within the top 10 NA (Top 6 NA in my prime) because i'm a pretty fast learner like Abellard and Tangawizi.. However, about 4-5 months ago, I switched to mouse block and inverse attack. So, i'm actually in the same shoes as you and I like mouse block and (inverse) mouse attack much better... Okay:

Mouse block:
Pros: Better feints
Pros: Better footwork; can block spam slightly easier
Cons: Blocking is actually slightly slower

Key block:
Pros: Slightly faster blocking and slightly better defense
Cons: Choppy offense and choppy footwork
Cons: Boring

By the way, Key Attack has speed bonus so it's easier to 1 hit kill in duels, though it doesn't really matter too much, because u can always get a 1 hit kill just by aiming at the head, dragging your mouse towards opponent, etc. Plus it's random.

Manry and Ordyn are the best key blockers in NA; Manry uses inverse attack and key block and Ordyn uses mouse attack and key block... But Oodle and Tito and Vorn are a little better. They all mouse block.

A: Yes absolutely. It's literally physically impossible to perform strong feints with key attack and key block... You can hardly even M feint with it.

A: I'm not sure, but chambers aren't super important. It's really the least of your concerns.

A: Mouse control improves your footwork. More freedom. Also, it's easier to block spam with mouse block than with key block in my opinion.

A: I've made the transition from keyboard to mouse. It took me 3 months to start blocking at a high level with mouse block. And again, Manry and Ordyn are pretty high level and key block..

Before I go, I should mention that, the 2 best players in the WORLD are Tobi and Peter. They are both EU (Europe) and they both mouse block. Tobi inverses and Peter mouse attacks. Then theres Bloody Death, who also mouse blocks and I think he mouse attacks.

Good luck... Uhh, whether you should transition to mouse attack/block is kind of up to you, you can do really really well with key block (in warband dueling, defense is more important than offense), but mouse attack and block is way more creative and more metagame-rich. Way better offense.. and somewhat better footwork. Also, key block is bad (well mediocre) for battle if you're playing infantry. I suggest you switch. Tito, Oodle, Vorn, Magerick, Leo, and other top NA players all use mouse block. Manry is like #5 NA by the way.

P.s. I was accused of autoblocking by many decent players for a little while. This is when I was key blocking in my prime.
Jim was best key-blocker :!:

Roberta_Baratheon said:
Hyperaries said:
I eventually made it within the top 10 NA (Top 6 NA in my prime)

wut

Wut wut?

@Kelquethas Yea

Also, Rhoden, some people believe key block is better, and they are also really good, so this thread might be even more conflicting, but if u do battle mode as well, key block is out of the question (I still believe mouse block is better for duel too)... Do mouse block imho.

In matches, whatever removes the limit on your camera contra footmovement is the worst; hence, in matches, mouse will be better when you don't have a shield. However, these situations are rare, so I'd say it's pretty irrelevant since dueling is 'very less limited'.

I would say that in general the benefits for mouse blocking and attacking are higher, the main thing is that your movement is completely disconnected from your attack and defence.

Having said that, it really depends what you are aiming for when you are improving. Minor advantages like that will likely not be as relevant depending on what you want to get good at. For instance there is a big difference between a strong infantry and a strong duellist, you can be both but they can be exclusive as well. If the ability to move your camera more freely during fighting works to increase your awareness, you may be able to glean some advantage that way.

Also remember that almost all the high level players in this game have got to the top through their own style and ways of playing, there's nothing to suggest that keyboard blocking and attacking couldn't be really strong at a high level. Inverse was dismissed for years but has shown some strong advantages recently.

Thank you all so much for the advice.

I think I might just stick with what I'm good with for now, but instead put in 2 hours of duel practice everyday.

hi
i was top 10 NA
top 1 captain of chambers in my prime

use mouse for everything
will make you pro

also so learn chambers go to Single Player
go to training ground and just chamber a single person over and over again
Ctrl H for more health when you get low
do that for 100 hours and you can become chambers

My experience from players that use keys to attack: Feints used by only a few in the scene so hard to find a pattern( as opponent ), you position yourself right for every swing and so it is much faster than it normally would. There are not really any big differences, just do what feels good to you.

Back
Top Bottom