Raid Map Ideas

Users who are viewing this thread

Phalanx300

Banned
Raid is a nice mode and a interesting part is also the spawning of NPC's when buildings are destroyed and when loot spawns. This offers a lot of potential for Raid maps.

Raid Map: Awakening (Norse: Oppvåkning)

Situation: Its winter, the land is white from the snow. A village lies next to an mountainrange. Within it lies the lair of a Giant. It closed its lair with rocks for its hibernation, having been hibernating for many years now.  Raiders have come to the village to raid it. When all the assinged houses are burned down the Giant spawns (awakenes) in the lair because of all the commotion and the lair is opened. Within the lair lies the loot the Raiders have to take. The Giant will be an non-player NPC which will kill both Defenders and Attackers to protect his loot. It gathered its loot throughout the years, raiding nearby villages.

Rough Map sketch:

vanviddsketch.png

Red: Defenders Spawn
Blue: Attackers Spawn
Yellow: Loot/Giant Spawn Point
Orange: Blocked Entrance
Brown: Giant Lair
Grey: Mountains
Green: Hills
Black: Buildings
Beige: Road

Raid Map: Frenzy (Norse: Vanvidd)

Situation: Summer. A lord has made enemies and is being attacked in his Hill fort. When the Attackers have broken through the gates and have burned the designated houses the lord releases his bodyguards to defend him: Three Berserkers. The Berserkers will be non-player NPC's and will spawn next to the loot, the Berserkers will attack both Defenders and Attackers in their frenzy.

Rough Map Sketch:

frenzysketch.png

Red: Defender Spawn
Blue: Attacker Spawn
Black: Buildings
Brown: Walls
Grey: Destructable Doors
Yellow: Loot/Berserker Spawn Point
Blue: Water
Light Green: Hills
Dark Green: Forests

So do people like it? And be sure to share your own Raid Map ideas.

The spawning system will have to be discussed with the developers, and I think it would have to be done by Davee because some things would have to be scripted for it. So any mapper could probably only create the basic map without the function you aim for... why don't you try to create that map yourself? Its not too difficult, just create a backup copy of the vikingr mod folder, start warband and chose it in the mod selection screen. In the "configurations" of that same screen you have to activate windowed mode and editing mode, so you can just host your own game and press ctrl E to edit a map.

This way you can use any of the current maps as a template and go from there (You can still play with the non-backup version of vikingr, where the maps are untouched).

Writing this I don't want to discourage you in your idea, but I feel that the request system for maps doesn't play out well because in most cases your own work will come closest to any plans you have, and it might easily happen anyone volunteering to do it will not do it as you imagined at all, so you will have to reject his work although he took the effort.
If you do it yourself you can also learn how to fulfill any future ideas yourself...

Well if I knew how to I wouldn't be submitting these ideas but maps instead. And how to create the maps for Raid? How to make spawns? How to do the AI mesh? Etc. wouldn't know where to start.

Just try out making your own map and if you have any questions ask them here. There are always people willing to help, or redirect you to the right place :smile:
As for raid maps, there was something posted about that.
Turanien said:
We're looking to expand upon our current map selection for both battle and raid mode with the help of the community here. All we ask is that you build the map, submit it to the developers and await for it's release in a subsequent patch // map update. There are a few pointers to map-making in this mod that we respectfully ask you adhere to:

1) Maintain a realistic environment. Take inspiration from your real-life surroundings, take a walk in the woods, through the heatherfields and around your lakes. Then simply plant that ambience into the Vikingr mod.

2) Consider the performance of your map on other systems. Try not to overload the map with trees, rocks and FPS-hungry flora... Keep it minimal whilst maintaining some style and substance.

3) Also consider the game-mode that it is intended for. If it is for raid, think about where defenders spawn and where attackers can move.

Here's a short guide written up by Einherjar_Davee on creating raid maps:

And for those who have been wanting to create Raid maps but are not sure how to lay it out; this is how:

You will need to place the four burnable houses. These are:

raid_house1
raid_house2
catapult_destructible
trebuchet_destructible

(yes, the last two are simply modified Fight and Destroy objects)

You will likely notice that these four house props also has a corresponding prop that ends with "_burnt".
You must place one of each _burnt -prop somewhere out of sight, under the map terrain preferably. These props swap places with the destructible props when they get destroyed, this is what makes them retain their collision mesh among other things.

Entry points that are needed:

0: Defenders spawn
32: Attackers spawn
64 : Loot spawn point
65: Loot capture point

80: Villager spawn point for raid_house1
81: Villager spawn point for raid_house2
82: Villager spawn point for catapult_destructible
83: Villager spawn point for trebuchet_destructible
85: Villager/Monk spawn point for when the loot appears

(villagers are default, monks spawning @ EP 85  is currently tied into the module system, will probably make a control entity that you can place on the map that tells the game what kind of spawns it has, like we did with the fog entities)

We also have some invisible props now to hold back the defenders behind a barrier for an 'x' amount of time.

If you request any specific map-ambience sounds, ask us and we'll see what can be done.

:smile:

Mmm. So I have to enter these points within the editing mode?

And form the text I understand I can only spawn villagers and monks? Or is there a way I can spawn a Giant?

For spawning other stuff then monks and villagers you will need the help of Davee (who is currently on holiday), as it will probably need scripting.

err something anyway: Don't edit the random maps, the terrain gets re-generated so that any of your changes will get messed up.

The best choice of templates for you is probably the mappers kit posted in the community map pack thread. It was for 0.81 though, so Im not sure if it works with the current version. In that pack there were plain maps with just meadows for example.

But I guess if you have trees in the map that aren't scene props (so that you can not edit them with the "object" menu) they are automatically generated as well.
This type of plants is based on the ground texture. There is a default texture (which can look just like any of the textures you can paint) in every map that makes those generated plants and trees spawn, you can just paint it over with any of the textures available in the texture paint menu, and when reloading the map there should be no generated trees or plants on it anymore.

Reloading the map in general should also solve the floating problem. You can re-paint the original, generating texture by pressing the middle mouse button.

But I guess with all this its better if you write any other technical questions in the community map pack thread..

Yes I figured that out. Now basing it on the Taiga map. Leveled the ground, removed all trees. Created mountains and a `lair`. Now need to figure out how to change background. And some barriers to avoid people going up the mountains.

Also found a wierd bug. Here i was making elevation then when I tried to make it flat (0) again it just keeps getting bigger.  :neutral:

You probably just didn't select the "level" tool, but remained on "lift" or whatever it is called, which is only dependent on the "rate" slider further down and only goes upwards.

The background is defined in the scenes.txt and can easily be changed afterwards^^

Ok nice otherwise it would look weird with mountains out of nowhere. And with the surrounding land being green xD.

Anways to show what I´ve got now:

progress1oppvakning.png

Now working on a little forest on the left to break the line of sight. Little river on the bottum right, will probably put some pieces of ice there to go with it. Village will be at top right. Will make a road from bottum left to the village. Lair of the giant is clearly visable at top left. Will probably put some dead trees around it, and some skeletons for the right mood.  :razz: And if I figure out how to do fog I´ll probably put some fog around the mountains and the lair.

Oh thats some very good and fast progress for a first attempt! We can never have too many maps anyway^^

Yes :smile:. Also seeing there are AI barriers I might make it so you have to climb in the mountains in a certain path to reach the lair somewhere high in the mountains. With the barrier I could force the Giant to stay there.

Are there also objects which disappear when all designated houses are raided? Would need that to block the mountainpass.

And are the stones you can grab from the ground also in the editor? Might be nice to put a few of those around.

The stones you can set, its one of the capital-letters scene props, just I forgot the name...
Right now the only thing triggered by all houses being looted are the "raid doors" or something, which open at that moment as seen in the churches...

Ok thanks.

Mmm, that would look pretty weird I gues. Maybe just make it accesable from the start.

Anyways new progress:

Grey and Brown stone seems to work out pretty nice together.

progress2oppvakning.png

Now make the lair somewhat more into the mountains.

-----

Edit:

Some more progress:

progress3oppvakning.png

Beware of the Giant.  :razz: Need those doors which disappear when all houses are raided. Will put those between the palisades. Maybe some spikes in front of the doors.

Was fun using skeleton pieces though, some more dead bodies in the Giant lair. Seems like it collected quite some women.  :razz:

Ok currently the map looks like this:

progress4oppvakning.png

Just got some questions:

1) Is there a way to just put fog in the mountains, without putting it on the whole map?
2) How exactly do I change the background to fit with the map?
3) How do I rename the map? And how do I enable it to be used in Raid mode? (Isn't in raid map selection)

I'm surprised the giant lives near a village. Wouldn't the villagers nearby, first thing they do before settling in that area is to kill the giant? Or attempt to kill the giant before it has had the chance to steal a good number of womanz? I mean the married men must've had some feelings for them?

Some bad trolls moved into his old neighbourhood and stood outside his cave all night with their hoods up and being awfully intimidating. Fearing for his life and peace of mind the friendly Giant moves to a nicer side of the mountain
but oh no, the locals don't like that he's differnet and not from around their way, so quickly set to hacking him into little bits lest more Giants start turning up.

Think up the story for yourself about what happened and why :razz:.

Smoke in village is coming from a burned Giant. Maybe that Giant was the wife of a Male Giant. Male Giant turned up and wrecked the place, killing some and taking some womanz. Some brave men went after the Giant but players find them soon enough. Villagers burried their death and barricaded the village and called for aid. At the same time a raiding party shows up to raid the village.

Maybe something like that :razz:. Also made a kind of easter egg? Something special can be found on map.

Anyways, still wondering about above questions. And too bad you can't pick up the items you place down in Map maker.

Bump.

1) How to change the name of a Map?
2) How to change the scene (background) of a Map?

The map is basicly done, only need the Magician to grant it a Giant when Loot Spawns.

Back
Top Bottom