Public Muster & Drill Event: 17th August 2014 - Hosted by the Lucky Dogs

Users who are viewing this thread

TheHeadera.png~original

Panorama.png~original

C7xd3.png

TheBandeofPike.png~original
wishes to invite you to a public muster and drill session.  What is a public muster and drill session? Ask yourself the following questions; Do you know your salvee from your open order? Do you know what to do when called upon to charge for horse? Have you had to wheel tightly upon your left hand? If the answer to those is "No" then this is where the Muster & Drill session comes in. We will drill and trayne you in the English/Swedish manner of warfare for the period, covering everything of use from basic manouvres to firing by extraduction. Interested? Intrigued? Then please, be our guest and read on.

RR2.png~original

The Muster & Drill event is offered as a workshop for players, to give them a feel and insight for the way in which warfare was conducted on the level of a bande, company or regiment. Through it we hope to inspire other players of The Deluge to look more closely at how they & their clans (if applicable) enter battle in various events and battles hosted by the community and perhaps to either spark or feed the fires of interest players may have in the period.

We will strip back the commands & manouvres to the bare essentials, to the ones that are applicable within the game mechanics and those we find of interest. Even though we will strip away what we deem to be unnecessary we may still explain what we've taken out to give a greater understanding of what would have happened in reality. As an example the firing procedure for muskets:

The full commands for firing a matchlock musket, in English terminology for the period, are as follows;

• Secure your scouring stick! Make sure the scouring stick (ramrod) has been returned to it's place in the stock, so that you know it's not in the barrel.
  • Cock and try your match! Place the burning length of match into the serpentine (lever) and make sure it will land in the centre of the pan, where the priming lays.
  • Present/Level your pieces! Raise your weapon at the enemy and prepare to fire.
  • Give... fire! Fire your piece at the enemy. Note; A pause may be given between the words 'Give!' and 'Fire!'. On the word 'Give' the musketeer would open the pan cover.

In game this is reduced to the commands Present/Level your pieces! and Give... fire!. The other two commands are of no use and would just involve a Serjeant/Officer talking and people not doing. However we do feel it is important to know where the commands come from and why they were there in the first place to get a greater feel for the era and the actual drills used.

RR5.png~original

We will be using the Swedish faction for the drills for several reasons. Firstly they have two distinct units we can use for the training; Musketeer & Pikemen. Their roles are obvious and it will allow for easier communication. The second reason is that the method of warfare we will be teaching is that conducted by the English/Swedish and both are rather similar in terms of organisation, the English system being based off of the Swedish & Dutch methods. Thirdly, that Sweden is the figurative home nation for the Lucky Dogs - we fight for the crown of Sweden, admittedly for money...

The drilll will be divided into three partitions; Manouvre, Engagement Shotte, Artillerie Drill.
  • Manouvre: This covers ranks and files, forming the body of pike/shotte, basic movement orders, opening/closing files and doubling the frontage.
  • Engagement Shotte: This covers firing your pieces, fire by salvee, fire by introduction/extraduction and fire by Forlorn.
  • Artillerie Drill: Use of artillery, drills for loading & firing the weapons.

We will be performing the usual drills for shotte, as before, but we are removing pikes from the equation and looking at artillery instead (note: The pikeman spoiler section will remain for possible future use). The artillery section will be near the end and will revolve around the truncated drill laid down by William Eldred in his works The Gunners Glasse. From his original 13 movements we have gotten it down to 5 that are applicable to the cannon system in The Deluge.

For a visual demonstration of the sort of thing that will be covered, this is a video of the Tower Hamlets Trayned Bandes, of which I am proudly a member, at Burton Agnes Hall, Driffield in Yorkshire, England. This video shows most of the manouvres that will be taught at the Muster & Drill Event, so if you fancy doing a little piece of homework prior to the event, I'd advise watching this. It only lasts 9:16 so it won't take up all of your time;

RR6.png~original

It is important that all attendee's use the same equipment. This is so that when we are moving as a body, a rank or file that we all move at the same speed. Thus the following are lists of equipment you will be expected to use. The list will be repeated prior to spawning as each particular unit type. There will be sufficient money available for you to take the required equipment and clothing.

Musketeer1.png~original

• Snaphans Musket (No rest)
  • 24 shots (2x bandoliers)
  • Hanger (Sword)
  • Coate (Swedish blue)
  • Hat & stockings
Pikeman.png~original

• Good or Fine Long Pike
  • Hanger (Sword)
  • Coate (Swedish blue)
  • Morion helmet & stockings

The Serjeant, Corporal & any other Lucky Dogs present will be resplendent in their red uniforms, making us easier to spot. Your Serjeant will be dressed thus;
Serjeant.png~original
Of particular note is his halberd, a badge of his rank as a Serjeant. Whilst this weapon was used as a means of directing souldiers, it will not be used as such to prevent confusion during the event - all commands will be given verbally.

RR3.png~original

The drill will be led by Serjeant Richard Flockton, known more commonly on Taleworlds as rapier17. An English Civil War reenactor with the Tower Hamlets Trayned Bandes, Serjeant Flockton has had the pleasure of reenacting at historically important locales including Blenheim Palace, Skipton Castle and the Tower of London, the most prestigious and active military fortress in England. Serjeant Flockton has experience handling both pike and matchlock musket and has a great interest in the 17th century.

Acting as Corporal will be either Captain James Digby or Corporal Wil Lambert. Both are long-term M&B: Warband players who are founding members of the Lucky Dogs. Both are keen enthusiasts for the period, even if they are Royalists. The Corporal is pivotal to the formation, the very cornerstone, in a literal sense.

RR4.png~original

The important question; how do you get involved? It's very simple;
[list type=decimal]
[*]Have access to TeamSpeak 3 (microphone optional but encouraged)
[*]Have the latest version of The Deluge
[*]A private message on Taleworlds to either myself, Serjeant Richard Flockton, or to his Honour, Captain James Digby[/list]
Please bear in mind we only have a limited number of places to offer and it will be on a first come, first served basis. No priority will be given to anyone excepting the Serjeant & Captain, and perhaps one or two Lucky Dogs, who shall be used for demonstrative purposes. The event is expected to last for at least an hour (60 minutes), perhaps up to one hour and a half (90 minutes), depending how things go on. The drills are pretty simple to learn and having trialed this with the Lucky Dogs & the Trayned Bande, otherwise known as the Hoary Hounds, we know that you will be proficient, at least, by the end of the event.

RR7.png~original

The event is scheduled to start at the following time;
Sunday, 17th August 2014
19:00 BST, 20:00 CEST

TeamSpeak 3 Server Details: azure.simrai.com:9996
Password: hat

RR1.png~original

We try and keep rules to a minimum, as such we have just three;
[list type=decimal]
[*]DO NOT team hit, kick or kill under ANY circumstance. We will give ONE warning and should you persist you will be banned from our server - we take this seriously.
[*]Do not disrupt the training session. Help us to make it a smooth, enjoyable experience for all involved. If you have any questions then wait for the Serjeant to finish speaking before asking.
[*]Do enjoy yourself! We run these sorts of things for everyone's enjoyment - whilst it is intended to be educational it is also intended to be enjoyable.
[/list]

Musterroll.png~original

James Digby
Richard Flockton
Torkel Gamalson
John Cooper
Leopold Bergmann
Casper Hagendorf

eBURw.png

Code:
[url=http://tinyurl.com/q52dgyj][IMG]https://tw.greywool.com/i/eBURw.png[/IMG][/url]

POwderdry.png~original

Credit for the pencil sketches goes to Panzerkaput, you can check his blog here.​

We keep our feet dry.

For those with a keener sense of something happening, attending this muster and drill session will prime you very well for forthcoming occurrences - may even set you on the righteous path! I advise that you turn out. :wink:

Sounds great, will try to convince some of those pesky rascals from my regiment to take part, they sure as hell could use some good drilling. :smile:

@ KuroiNekouPL... Bring a few! It would be much appreciated, especially by those who enjoy the period for history and reenactment. Let us know in this thread ASAP as to names and how many.  :razz:

I'll try to turn up, not sure if I'll be able. I'd like to have a better idea of the Swedish formation, seeing as it influenced the 30 Years War and English Civil War so much.

Leifr Eiríksson said:
@ KuroiNekouPL... Bring a few! It would be much appreciated, especially by those who enjoy the period for history and reenactment. Let us know in this thread ASAP as to names and how many.  :razz:
We should be able to gather around 15 to 20 people, can't really tell names as of now, We'll see who turns up the first place. If you don't mind of course.

The Nutty Pig said:
Sounds good, I have enjoyed playing on the Lucky Dogs server so far and will be attending this as well!

You're more than welcome, Nutty!
We'll be joined by a considerable contingent of Polish folk this coming Thursday. Groups new to the Deluge are welcomed, also. This is a unique opportunity to forge some new ties with the older and more established communities here. Don't miss out!

Righto!
With the inclusion of the RW group in this event we should be seeing some sizeable blocks being formed. The invitation is still open to any and all whom are interested, even if you've never played Deluge or had an interest in 17th.C formations. Still looking for some participation from the newer groups here, so far it's only the established and the genteel whom have shown interest.  :wink:
I will post TeamSpeak details in this thread (and have Richard amend the OP) tomorrow evening.

Just slightly over a day away from the event - if you're interested in coming along, do please register your interest with either myself or James Digby (Leifr). The more the merrier, so if you're free please come along!

You just had to pick the day I'm off to Paris ...

Will you be hosting any similar events in the future because I'd sure love to attend.

We will see how this one goes. Whilst we had great success with our own 'in-house' session we will see how this one pans out & how it is received by those who take part. If it is successful we might look at running another drill, or perhaps a succession of drill events, in the future.

It's nice to see there's an event such as this for people to get the know-how on Deluge event commands. Although,I have some disdain for long training sessions due to my NA pubber bias.  I am a big believer in 5arge did for pubs in the North American linebattle back in MM.  Where you allow pubs to join a open teamspeak server and the pass can be only given by the admin BEFORE the event starts (never after).  Then the training would last about 15min or so. All of that would require the following:
large cap. teamspeak & Warband servers and Draconian admin(s).

Of course, by inferring from the opening topic, the first two components are not there and the third component would require some people to do both training and admining... not very fun when it become frequent. Even moreso when random pubbers invade your private teamspeak & server without some sort of creditably; getting the server info through proper channels. As write about it, what 5arge did is not very attainable for most organizers. All that effort going to randoms that may or may not appreciate is not an attractive proposition. 

Anyways,  I wish this event all the best of luck for its success. I'll see if I can make it the event whenever I bother to get the info. One step is always better than none at all. 

Back
Top Bottom