Prospective EU campaign - Signups started, see new thread. Seeking adjudicator.

Each kingdom plays one faction for the entire campaign. How do we do this?

• Each kingdom chooses their own faction with no limitations.

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • Each kingdom chooses their own faction, no repeats. First come, first served.

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • No repeats, factions assigned randomly.

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

okiN said:
Could work, but I'm worried that unless you make the base number bigger, you'll end up with ratios being too stacked in general. Also, attacking major provinces would become almost impossible unless the defender had far less armies at his disposal.

Hehe, that's the problem with throwing random numbers about. :razz: The main idea is having different combat values for armies, supporting armies and different types of provinces. What does values are can be changed. I agree that the base of major supply centres should be lower than that. A 1:1 (5:5) if attacking a defended one with two armies might be a bit too hard. Seeing as it is a castle map. And if the defenders would add a supporting army... Yeah.

Hello everyone!
I'm interested as well in a sort of campaign game, (i would definately take part as mercenary ghghgh!), i've readed your thoughts and the topic, and everything is good.
Only, i wanna say that some french guys are developing (by months, so far) a valid and beautiful interactive site, dedicated to the same purpose.
If they finish the work, i think we'll everybody go on it. :smile:

Why wasting time doing 3/4 similar things when we could concentrate on one! :smile:

Beaver said:
Hehe, that's the problem with throwing random numbers about. :razz: The main idea is having different combat values for armies, supporting armies and different types of provinces. What does values are can be changed. I agree that the base of major supply centres should be lower than that. A 1:1 (5:5) if attacking a defended one with two armies might be a bit too hard. Seeing as it is a castle map. And if the defenders would add a supporting army... Yeah.

Yeah, I don't know. It's a nice idea, it just seems that making it terrain-dependent like that would just make it really hard to balance. I'd be happier with 3:3 and +1 for each army. The defender can receive the advantage from map and position choice etc, like in the Oceanic campaign rules.

_Benedict_ said:
Only, i wanna say that some french guys are developing (by months, so far) a valid and beautiful interactive site, dedicated to the same purpose.
If they finish the work, i think we'll everybody go on it. :smile:

Yeah, we're aware of it, and definitely very interested. But it's not out yet, so we can't really plan for it very well. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it, I think.

_Benedict_ said:
Why wasting time doing 3/4 similar things when we could concentrate on one! :smile:

Well, that's just it. We don't really know just how their utility works and what it would let us do, so we can't plan for it properly. We also don't know how close it is to release.

_Benedict_ said:
(i would definately take part as mercenary ghghgh!)

Aww, we were hoping you'd be our GM! :razz:

Sounds interesting. As for single clan nations vs coalitions I think it should be free form as possible so you can let clans do as they will.
I will read up on this when I have time but it sounds promising.

okiN said:
Yeah, I don't know. It's a nice idea, it just seems that making it terrain-dependent like that would just make it really hard to balance. I'd be happier with 3:3 and +1 for each army. The defender can receive the advantage from map and position choice etc, like in the Oceanic campaign rules.

I still like mine better, we should totally do it! No, but really, it's all ideas of course. As long at it turns out good in the end, I'm happy :smile:

Tercero said:
I'd like to see a province map.. something similar to risk but in a fantastic land (new calradia?)
Did you read about Diplomacy, Terc?
It's the same style as Risk, but without the luck factor. Basically. :razz:

Beaver said:
I still like mine better, we should totally do it! No, but really, it's all ideas of course. As long at it turns out good in the end, I'm happy :smile:

Yeah, definitely, we just need to find something everyone is more or less happy with. I was just trying to work out different numbers in my head, and I had trouble finding a setup that didn't either favor the attacker too much on open ground, or the defender too much in core provinces. Maybe I'm just looking at it wrong, though. If you can come up with a balanced system, just lay it on me!

When I think of games like this I think of the formation of empires and nations.
How they came into being and the processes involved with such conflicts.

In reality kingdoms did not simply pop into existence! They started slow developing from families of people living in caves, to clans living in huts or living as nomads, eventually forming the real roots of civilisation as towns and villages began to form. Eventually we saw the emergence of civilisations such as the Greek city states and this I feel should be the starting point. If each clan started with just one town or village or whatever kind of fief we hold then you could simply let nations and kingdoms or alliances dynamicly evolve from there.

One powerful clan perhaps with a few more clan members or skill than the rest will decide he does not like being cooper up in his city any more and wants to move on up and start an empire so he looks to his neighbours. Finding a weak one he beleives he can take he attacks and destroys them in an epic siege battle. Upon his victory he has 2 choices, will he take the town for himself feeling he has the manpower to hold it, or will he present an ultimatum to the losers "bow down to my will and give me 50% of your gold or I shall raze your city to the ground". So you either expand taking the cityt for yourself, create a vassal and the start of your empire or work on destroying the civilisation of calradia :grin:

Now seeing this other clans start to worry, he has 2 towns now and twice the income, with which he can buy more mercenaries, pay off other clans or do whatever else he might. WHatever the real case is he has 2 towns or a vassal and so must be more powerful than you! As he casts his gaze towards fresh conquests other clans will start to make alliances so they can protect themselves should they need to, they may also choose to hire the now evicted clan who was beaten as mercenaries(and with the main target being the warmongers who took their place maybe get a special price, or a deal that if the clan helps them take their city back they will pay them X). Or maybe the origional empire will ally himself with other like minded clans and try to take on the world!

This is what I meant by my earlier "free form" comments. Everyone starts the same wth single settlements and let them develop the kingdoms, nations and empires themselves. Placing pre-existing fully fledged kingdoms is boring, in my opinion the most interesting part of the game will be the initial landgrab when everyone starts out close to equal. The only real difference being the real life size, skill and power of the clans playing.

That would be fantastic. you'd need to be able to form new villages though otherwise things would get very crowded very quickly. you could then upgrade the villages to towns later. not too sure how the timescale would work though or if you would have access to all kinds of soldiers from the start.

Maybe each faction would start with a single village that they can place anywhere on the map, and then as they gain wealth from warfare and harvesting resources around them it can upgrade to a town and they can found more villages? I'd be more than willing to scene some various stages [village, town, city, etc] for this, or even several different variations of them.

Perhaps, but remember not all clans will need their own town. Founding a new town would be a major thing and most likely require some complex game rules. Also having them limited in supply provides the advantage of having them hold more prestige and will also encourage co-operation. If it is really hard to have your own town then I should imagine clans might even be happy to share!

I feel nations should not be single clans exacept in the rarest of circumstances. The majority should be made up of alliances forming governemnts and nations eventually so as to ensure continued cooperation, bar civil war :razz:.

If you had the early game something like we have SP factions with their lords that would be good. So a clan may decide to invest in upgrading to a town. they would lose some production ability but would gain income from trade. the trade would come from allied clans nearby villages.

EDIT: I'm not sure how you could have clans without a village or town. maybe they could give a clan holding a town some money and then pay rent for the ability to trade from a town. they would gain income from their trade partners.

Greetings from the oceanic region,

Anyway all of your ideas are great, but i think it would make the campaign far too complex. Judging by the way okin is posting he just wants a simple campaign to past the time while the tbfc is in the making.

Foamy said:
If you had the early game something like we have SP factions with their lords that would be good. So a clan may decide to invest in upgrading to a town. they would lose some production ability but would gain income from trade. the trade would come from allied clans nearby villages.

EDIT: I'm not sure how you could have clans without a village or town. maybe they could give a clan holding a town some money and then pay rent for the ability to trade from a town. they would gain income from their trade partners.

Mercenary armies.

And just a note: my idea is nothing specific. Just a suggestion as to how I would like to see the nations of the game develop and the sort of diplomatic options I would like to see possible. Anything taking this sort of idea in whatever way it can fit would be awesome for me. I do not think it is all that complex, is it?

I think he means this to be an alternative to tbfc as not many clans are participating in that. It would need either a long list of complex rules or a sophisticated website/program to handle all this stuff. i am hoping the campaign project will supply this but i don't think we have many details on that yet.

EDIT:

Plazek said:
Mercenary armies.

Could you support a whole clan with that though? I can see it working later in the game but early on no one will be able to afford the number of clans which will be displaced.

If okiN wants to keep this simple, I'll convert the US one into an international campaign that has the ideas Plazek suggested featured prominently.

Greetings,

On my way to the "valley of sheets" but before have to write down the ideas and opinions before they go vapor.

I'm all up to using both province type map or hex. At this point it doesn't matter, it's a design choice.

The Diplomacy settings are cool and can be summarized enough to fit our needs, same as Settler of Catan with armies added. No matter.

So here comes my vision on this:

- A Full map composed by all the official MP maps including a random number of Random Maps ( Village, Town and Port excluded; also Castles excluded ) multiplied by the number of clans taking part.

This does not mean that every clan gets each on of the maps, it's just a simple calculation of how many "zones" we need to devise in the map.

- Each zone will be assigned a base value, ranging from 1 to 6.

The number shows the zone value, and this sums - army capability and supply speed.

- Starting Positions

Each clan will start with ONE zone, sorted randomly. Expansion will take place on every turn.

The Zone Chain Effect

Each Zone has a value attached, ranging from 1 to 6. This value measures the conditions in which an army may be maintained into battle array ( number of players ) and show the supply level of the Zone.

To move from Zone to Zone you must comply with the supply chain of supplies. That way and drawing up fictional scenario, supposing each integer is one man ( won't be just 1 ofc );

you control various zones and you need to move up "men" to reinforce an area bordering an hostile clan, you draw your Chain, from your Capital to there - 5 > 2 > 4 > 1 > 2 > 6 ( capital has value 5 and all zones in between have 2, 4, 1 and 3 values and finally the threatened zone has a 6 ).

You may move up 5 men from your capital, but can only move up 2 from the following zone to the next. Having the next province a value 4 you may move up 4 from there if you already stacked enough but you face the bottleneck of the 1 zone. Though your strategical mind has devised this before and you can move 2 from the next to the battle zone where you can field a glorious 6 ( if you have them there by the end turn ).

Supply Zones and Castle Zones

Every clan has a limited number of token to waste on both Supply and Castle zones. One cannot loose them nor win more, unless they have already been used.

Supply Zones enhance the area by 3  and use a Village/Town map.

Castle Zones enhance the area by 1 and use a Castle map.

Each clan may use any token number at any time.

The starting zone isn't Supply nor Castle unless you use a token there.

Random Factors; aka. Trump Cards

Chance and luck play a definite role in many rises and downfalls of power. Many games use a deck of cards to simulate the random events taking place. This ones can affect the course of a battle, famine amongst the land, and many other factors.
Every turn a card is drawn and given to a clan, in a rotation system.

- Battle Cards - To be used in battles

A. Forced March !

A player may use the card prior to battle without notifying the opponent. It will be able to field a (value 2) more of troops.

This represents a rapid movement of reinforcements that show up just in time for battle. So when you think you'll have a battle of a value 4 vs a value 3, voilá, your opponent playes the card and you facing a 5 with your 4...

B. Rearguard !

A player may use the card prior to battle without notification. It will be able to successfully retreat to a neighboring zone up to (value 3 ) of troops.

This show up that when you are faced with a hard battle in unfavorable ground, sometimes is better to withdraw a bit than to loose valuable manpower in a gamble. So your rearguarde might do enough damage to the enemy to prevent their continued offensive.

C. Nightraid !

A player uses this card prior to battle, without notification.

It succesfully led a night raid into the enemy camp scaterring the horses. The enemy cannot field any Cavalry class troops.

- Turn Cards - To be used in the map and/or during the course of the game and not affecting battles directly

A. Famine !

Play this card at the start of the turn. select a clan you wish and play the card on them.

Famine has struck...entire areas become devoid of settlements...people die and flee to seek refuge in other areas...the kingdom stops for a moment.

For the duration of one turn, the enemy zone will be down by 1 point. It is possible that zones fall to 0. It is that way for famine breaks logistics...

B. National Pride!

Play this card at the start of the turn.

The entire kingdom is inflated with pride. All the counties work double pace and produce surplus enough.

For the duration of one turn, all your zones ar up by 1 point. You can move more and stack more. Use this well.

C. D-Day !

Play this card during your turn.

A bold move. You order an army to sail and disembark into an enemy inaccessible zone. It's mission: to form a bridgehead behind enemy territory.

This card has two uses. Can be used for an offensive into a zone not adjacent to your and linked to the sea; or it can be used to ship reinforcements both to a prior established bridgehead zone or aid an ally in a remote zone. It denotes always a (value 4)

I really enjoy your ideas but to put this up fast enough it has to be simple.

We need a GM group definitely.

Just a quick question, would a clan be able to join in after this has started? I am keen to get our clan involved in something like this, but would need to have a long chat with the men about it first.

How long irl this campaign will be? At least for first campaign I would suggest something short. No point going on a none working campaign which tooks 3 years.

Back
Top Bottom