Proposition Regarding match size and Roster

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
captain lust said:
Mr.X said:
I think Orion's referring to the mentions of an ENL class limit (it was mentioned somewhere in this thread)
I'm thinking of introducing class limits to the ENL along with the proposal to decrease the number of players to 8vs8. I would never support class limits at 10vs10, simply because they aren't necessary to encourage balanced play. The game does it anyway at those numbers.

mmk. That was Orion's point and I'm sure he'll argue it better than I can.

captain lust said:
Mr.X said:
And tell me, if fastest shifts the balance of power AWAY from the archers, how would that make more archers = better?
I agree. I'm just fishing around for any shred of reason/evidence/explanation in your arguments. I've got around two hundred matches at 10vs10 from the ENL backing up my points.

Still doesn't make sense to me. Unless you misworded something. Us playing on fastest probably does increase the prevalance of archers. I agree. I also don't think that simply because the people in the ENL haven't archer spammed doesn't mean it doesn't work. Thats like being in the 1800s and saying you can't fly to the moon because the governments would've done it if you could. It was just not in their time.

captain lust said:
Mr.X said:
The newsflash is to argue lusts "gl archer spamming on sandi'boush" comment.
Well I look forward to seeing how that works out for you.

mk.

captain lust said:
Mr.X said:
The "west coast" comment was to argue that US and the UK will never have a truly even match anyway (at least, not even enough to determine balance issues), so there's really no point. Plus I'm not captain. D:
Pretty sure crazyboy made it clear that we'd face you in a situation that would offer you a straight up advantage (East Coast USA) with you playing as all archers. I think beating you there would pretty much render your arguments null and void.

I would disagree, considering I don't honestly think a game between the US and UK on any server is fair enough to determine game balance. But again, not my team, so I can't exactly issue/respond to challanges.

captain lust said:
Shemaforash said:
Lust, I wasn't trolling. I was following his logic.
I was calling out X for trolling, not you.

Mr.X said:
I doubt it.

Mr.X said:
Still doesn't make sense to me. Unless you misworded something. Us playing on fastest probably does increase the prevalance of archers. I agree. I also don't think that simply because the people in the ENL haven't archer spammed doesn't mean it doesn't work. Thats like being in the 1800s and saying you can't fly to the moon because the governments would've done it if you could. It was just not in their time.
No. My point was that playing on fastest works against archers. I simply acknowledged that since I have no experience of playing 10vs10 on fastest, I couldn't speak for it one way or the other. However, my experience with 8vs8 on fastest conforms to the same trends as in EU, in that greater numbers do not gravitate towards favouring a set up that includes more ranged players.

I also think it's incredibly arrogant to dismiss all the teams in the ENL in the way that you are. It shows an immense level of hubris and I honestly cannot see that it's justified.

Mr.X said:
captain lust said:
Pretty sure crazyboy made it clear that we'd face you in a situation that would offer you a straight up advantage (East Coast USA) with you playing as all archers. I think beating you there would pretty much render your arguments null and void.

I would disagree, considering I don't honestly think a game between the US and UK on any server is fair enough to determine game balance. But again, not my team, so I can't exactly issue/respond to challanges.
Do you have any concept of basic logical pathways or how to justify things with reason? If so, demonstrate it.

Mr.X said:
I also don't think that simply because the people in the ENL haven't archer spammed doesn't mean it doesn't work. Thats like being in the 1800s and saying you can't fly to the moon because the governments would've done it if you could. It was just not in their time.

Terrible analogy. In the 1800's it was impossible to fly to the moon. The technology just didnt exist.
Archer spam however is actually possible, and I don't think anyone is saying you can't archer spam, just that's it's pretty lousy.

captain lust said:
Mr.X said:
I doubt it.

mk. Only thing I'll say is that exactly what ENL changes were proposed weren't discussed in this thread, and the fact that classes might have limitations was not linked to the fact that numbers might change, and I seriously doubt Orion follows all the rulechanges of the ENL religiously, so he wouldn't have known about the numbers change.

captain lust said:
Mr.X said:
No. My point was that playing on fastest works against archers. I simply acknowledged that since I have no experience of playing 10vs10 on fastest, I couldn't speak for it one way or the other. However, my experience with 8vs8 on fastest conforms to the same trends as in EU, in that greater numbers do not gravitate towards favouring a set up that includes more ranged players.

I also think it's incredibly arrogant to dismiss all the teams in the ENL in the way that you are. It shows an immense level of hubris and I honestly cannot see that it's justified.

Ok, well I disagree. I think fastest gives archers more presence because they can reload a lot faster and if the melee players are both skilled, the melee fight will still last a long time, despite their swings being faster.

I'm dismissing all the teams in the ENL the same way I'm dismissing everyone who didn't think it was possible to fly to the moon in the 1800s or to record live television and play it back later when tv's first came out. Just because you guys haven't done it doesn't mean it's impossible. That's a pretty hubris filled statement on your part imo. Games and styles change over time. What's good now isn't good in a few months/years. There was a time in Warband where noone would hold an attack, but people still thought they knew everything about everything. Just cause you're not doing it in the ENL now doesn't mean it doesn't work/isn't prevalent. Or do you think that the people in the ENL have figured out the best way to do everything ever in Warband?

captain lust said:
Mr.X said:
captain lust said:

Do you have any concept of basic logical pathways or how to justify things with reason? If so, demonstrate it.

If a = b and b = c, then a = c. Happy?

Also, I don't think there's anything logically wrong with me saying that I think a game between US and UK players would not be fought on equal enough terms for it to be even considered relevant to standard gameplay balance. Maybe relevant to future US and UK matches, sure. And I cannot send out a PM to the guys on the US NC team and set up a match with the UK. What's logically incorrect about that? Please enlighten me.

lust, there's nothing left to argue. This isn't an argument at all, not really. You never yield your position in any discussion, regardless of opposing arguments.

It's incredibly arrogant of you to dismiss the experience of American teams that support the effectiveness of high concentrations of archers. Hell, it's BkS' trademark on random plains. You say it doesn't matter because European teams don't play on plains. Does that make our argument any less valid? No, that just makes you a moron for attempting to refute our argument with something entirely irrelevant.

captain lust said:

Indeed. :lol:

Also, I found your little comment about archers standing in lines to be rather funny. You truly are acting like a moron at this point. I never once said "line," I said spread. If you're too thick to comprehend "spread," you're too far-gone for me to care. I'm feeling particularly generous, though, so I'll try to explain in simple words. On the map Ruins there are three clusters of ruined buildings inside the walled area. Putting archers in two or three of these clusters creates a spread. You can't flat-out rush them because archers will provide cover for each other and you won't reach them all at the same time. Rushing one group leaves you open to another, but rushing both groups at the same time leaves each rushing group vulnerable to crossfire. Surely you can see that.

As for the class limits comment, I was talking about the 5-a-side. Why would there be a class limitation if archers scaled like everything else? Because archers have more presence on a battlefield and exert more map control, making them the dominant class.

crazyboy11 said:
Mr.X said:
I also don't think that simply because the people in the ENL haven't archer spammed doesn't mean it doesn't work. Thats like being in the 1800s and saying you can't fly to the moon because the governments would've done it if you could. It was just not in their time.

Terrible analogy. In the 1800's it was impossible to fly to the moon. The technology just didnt exist.
Archer spam however is actually possible, and I don't think anyone is saying you can't archer spam, just that's it's pretty lousy.

His analogy is actually fine. He's saying people in the 1800s wouldn't say they could fly to the moon because their government hadn't already done it. Which is another way of saying they wouldn't argue against the status quo, or what was generally accepted to be true. There's a lack of contradicting evidence to their current views, so they assume their experience is entirely true. Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it's nonexistent or impossible.

To make it simpler, what he's trying to say is that you can't claim archer spam is ineffective universally because the current standards you play by say it is. You have to be objective in your reasoning and assert a logical conclusion as to why it would be ineffective under all circumstances - considering that this seems to be your current position - because a contrary viewpoint has been presented with support which claims archer spam is effective under circumstances governed by differing standards.

Its still very possible to archer spam on medium speed

Heck its easier to shoot people on medium because melee lasts so much longer

Also when most people talk about archer spam they mean more than 80% of the team going archer which usually only happens on Ruins or Arena in the pubs

John7 said:
Also when most people talk about archer spam they mean more than 80% of the team going archer which usually only happens on Ruins or Arena in the pubs

I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of the opposition in this argument is drawing on pub experience with archer spam, when the archers aren't coordinated.

Contrarily to what the merikuns say, archer spam is not that OP. You guys are talking about it like if it was a technological outbreak that makes people **** gold.
I know you guys have incredibly skilled players, but you always go Leeroy Jenkins right in the middle of the map with no-helmet infantry for no specific reason besides cult of personality. So you die to crossfire and then whine about it.

I would agree for a limit in archery class for very open and hilly maps such as Snowy Village. For all other maps it is counterable. In Ruins you can perfectly storm any ruin with infantry without being crossfired too much. Of course you will have to be cautious and shield yourself when moving but I bet that when your infantry will be in the Ruins the dern archers in it will feel the pain. And there still is the wait for flag solution, we'll see how smart these archers are when they will have to cross half the map with no shield and cav sharking around.

I'm dismissing all the teams in the ENL the same way I'm dismissing everyone who didn't think it was possible to fly to the moon in the 1800s or to record live television and play it back later when tv's first came out. Just because you guys haven't done it doesn't mean it's impossible.

I think you missed the part where we said we had done it but it never worked.

Orion said:
crazyboy11 said:
Mr.X said:

His analogy is actually fine. He's saying people in the 1800s wouldn't say they could fly to the moon because their government hadn't already done it. Which is another way of saying they wouldn't argue against the status quo, or what was generally accepted to be true. There's a lack of contradicting evidence to their current views, so they assume their experience is entirely true. Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it's nonexistent or impossible.

Are you kidding me? If you're going to draw analogies you should pick something that is at least partially similar.

In the case of an 1800s rocket launch, there was no evidence to suggest it was even possible. With our current knowledge we can safetly say it was impossible to fly to the moon in the 1800s.

In the case of archer spam, it IS possible and more importantly >>it has already been tried<<.
This isn't a case of the status quo being broken, it's a case of archer spam being rejected from the staus quo due to some inherent flaws with the strategy.

Orion said:
I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of the opposition in this argument is drawing on pub experience with archer spam, when the archers aren't coordinated.

If you think that's the case, please leave the thread. In fact just leave warband entirely. [insert facepalm here]

crazyboy11 said:
it's a case of archer spam being rejected from the staus quo due to some inherent flaws with the strategy from what I've personally seen.

Fixed that for you.

Or, if you prefer, I can word it another way: Archer spam runs contrary to the currently accepted view of effective strategies in Europe.

I can word that in yet another way: Archer spam is opposed by the current status quo regarding effective strategies in Europe.

You seem to think archer spam has been tried thoroughly enough to know that it's not viable. My experience in the NA competitive scene tells me otherwise. Here, lopsided proportions of archers are not uncommon or ineffective. In many scrims and matches, archers will make up about half of a team. Sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on the situation.

If you need me to tell you how sample size matters when interpreting data, you shouldn't have gotten involved in this argument.

Pretty sure it's been tried to death and whilst it's probably a little more viable than these guys are letting on, it's not exactly devastating. If you've got a decent team composition and you're willing to hang around a while it should be okay.

Let's look at your ruins example. So, post a few archers in each of the ruins. Well firstly the central ruin doesn't have a great line of site on the one behind it, towards the spawn. Any large infantry group wishing to attack the one nearest the spawn can simply push through the tree and there is very little the other two ruins can do to lend aid. To be honest, if the enemy keeps their shields up then there is very little the other ruins can do to stop them getting to the ruin. There is also nothing stopping one of the teams simply spreading their archers/xbows and taking the occasional pot shot with frankly little chance that the bunched up archers in the ruins can actually get a shot off in time. You also state that attacking more than once at the same time isn't viable because they'd get to them at different times. Yeah, by like 5 seconds. It wouldn't be difficult to coordinate a joint attack. I'd also question an archer spam's viability in MoF situations, certainly a cav spam is more threatening for the end game.

What you're saying is that it's been rejected by the current european meta. It's simply not the case, it has been tried repeatedly for years and on the whole has failed to beat competent teams. The sample size is pretty big, at least bigger than anything you'll be able to put forward.

You seem to think archer spam has been tried thoroughly enough to know that it's not viable. My experience in the NA competitive scene tells me otherwise. Here, lopsided proportions of archers are not uncommon or ineffective. In many scrims and matches, archers will make up about half of a team. Sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on the situation

Spot the inconsistency.

If you need me to tell you how sample size matters when interpreting data, you shouldn't have gotten involved in this argument.

I don't really want to get involved with the lame sabre rattling and posturing. It also doesn't forward the debate.

>50% Ranged is common over here. Isn't it?:???:

And Deacon, in my oppinion ruin camping is better carried out by a less archer heavy team and ruin camping does not reflect archer spam tactics.

Are you kidding me? If you're going to draw analogies you should pick something that is at least partially similar.

In the case of an 1800s rocket launch, there was no evidence to suggest it was even possible. With our current knowledge we can safetly say it was impossible to fly to the moon in the 1800s

Arguments, perform with greater skill.  I suppose the rockets used in warfare since the early 11th century which inspired the Dutch to experiment with rocket fuels to try to reach the top of the sky.  These adventures then inspired H. G. Wells to write War of the Worlds.

All in the 1800s. 

Pretty sure it's been tried to death and whilst it's probably a little more viable than these guys are letting on, it's not exactly devastating. If you've got a decent team composition and you're willing to hang around a while it should be okay.

Let's look at your ruins example. So, post a few archers in each of the ruins. Well firstly the central ruin doesn't have a great line of site on the one behind it, towards the spawn. Any large infantry group wishing to attack the one nearest the spawn can simply push through the tree and there is very little the other two ruins can do to lend aid. To be honest, if the enemy keeps their shields up then there is very little the other ruins can do to stop them getting to the ruin. There is also nothing stopping one of the teams simply spreading their archers/xbows and taking the occasional pot shot with frankly little chance that the bunched up archers in the ruins can actually get a shot off in time. You also state that attacking more than once at the same time isn't viable because they'd get to them at different times. Yeah, by like 5 seconds. It wouldn't be difficult to coordinate a joint attack. I'd also question an archer spam's viability in MoF situations, certainly a cav spam is more threatening for the end game.

What you're saying is that it's been rejected by the current european meta. It's simply not the case, it has been tried repeatedly for years and on the whole has failed to beat competent teams. The sample size is pretty big, at least bigger than anything you'll be able to put forward

I have seen your strategy end disastrously, repeatedly.  Either you archers can't headshot horsemen or they can't shoot into melee.  Fighting a decent duelist/archer takes a bit of time and you hope your friend can pressure the archer before you get caught turned a bit to one side...

Then King John headshots you  :shock:, and your buddy is now stuck between two archers.  Maybe he will win, it does happen. 

I don't really want to get involved with the lame sabre rattling and posturing. It also doesn't forward the debate.

Also a fine method of posturing.  I admit my post has not been the most polite or balanced, but I don't want to get involved in lame sabre rattling and posturing. 
-------------------------------------------------------------

More relevantly, has there been a decision on team size? 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom