People who wore far too old armour

Users who are viewing this thread

I heard Polish cavalry in the 1930's still wore cuirasses and rode horses (they were invaded in less than a month).

Are there any other examples of this? Like muscle cuirasses in 1200, full plate armour in 1800, etc...?

TheVideoGameInn said:
I heard Polish cavalry in the 1930's still wore cuirasses and rode horses (they were invaded in less than a month).

They didn't wear cuirasses thou :arrow: http://anaspieinpoland.deviantart.com/art/Polish-Cavalry-Man-September-1939-363458297

PolishCavalryAttack.jpg

TheVideoGameInn said:
Are there any other examples of this? Like muscle cuirasses in 1200, full plate armour in 1800, etc...?
Raja Lal Singh, First Anglo-Sikh War in 1846

(the French cuirass was previously worn by French general Allard’s
"Fauji-i-ian" Curassiers regiment - the vambrace and couter seem anachronistic)

1266px-Raja_Lal_Singh%2C_of_First_Anglo-Sikh_War%2C_1846.jpg

Mahdist War, Sudan 1881 – 1899

f1a04344ae.jpg

zKfuvKo.jpg

He7e9jl.jpg

Moro Rebellion, Philippines 1899 - 1902

O84ceg5.jpg

01-9.%20%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%20%3F%3F%20%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F.jpg

Captured Joe said:
TheVideoGameInn said:
Cavalry still could be quite effective though, especially on the eastern front in early- and mid-WW2.
Furthermore, cavalry brigades were elite of Polish army, equipped with best weapons (including the wz. 35 anti-tank rifle) and aided by armoured cars and tanks.

German cavalry even got their ass whooped in hand-to-hand combat against Poles in battle of Krasnobród (although, admittedly, German heavy horses pushed lighter Polish ones easily and only the fact that two officers stroke together German commander caused enemy's retreat).

Also, interesting photo there, matmohair1. Lances were parade-only weapon already for years in '39 and yet you see some joker every now and then carrying them around. According to anecdotes left by Uhlans themselves, their main use was to check the depth of river crossings :razz:

Can we start a rumour that when Nazi Germany invaded Norway, the Norwegian infantry formed a shieldwall before being machinegunned?

TheVideoGameInn said:

While not "full" plate armor, some forces in mid to late 1800s Khedival Egypt were still using heavy European made steel cuirass and helmets, this would be the last use of Ottoman armor.

357c558528e3166c91a1fd07bbac012e.jpg

5addf0f3694ac325d7a4fe79ee2c1af9.jpg

An even later example was the doomed Hicks expedition in 1883, Khedival forces including 100 cuirassiers wearing English made split link mail hauberks and steel helmets were decimated by the Sudanese forces of the Mahdi. Here is a link to a Pinterest page with most of the known examples of Khedival armor and some Sudanese armor, unfortunately so far no known photographs exist of the khedives forces wearing armor but there are a few prints. https://www.pinterest.com/worldantiques/armor-of-khedival-egypt-and-the-sudanese-mahdist-s/

26b121f1617746b3b5ff92d6a6806e9c.jpg

Sudanese armor, late 1800s, English made helmet originally from the forces of the Khedive of Egypt and a riveted mail Indo-Persian hauberk.
1725a480a79f3dab4ab922e24b23dec3.jpg

Do not look here said:
Also, interesting photo there, matmohair1. Lances were parade-only weapon already for years in '39 and yet you see some joker every now and then carrying them around. According to anecdotes left by Uhlans themselves, their main use was to check the depth of river crossings :razz:
For years is a bit of an overstatement, though.

BenKenobi said:
Do not look here said:
For years is a bit of an overstatement, though.

I was basing on instruction published in 1933, that didn't regulate cavalry charge, as according to it uhlans weren't expected to fight while mounted at all, period. On the other hand, training and drill manual from 1938 goes in details about fighting with both, saber and lance, also clearly stating usage of both during maneuver called 'charge'.

Actual charges in '39 were improvised at best, that's why I'm surprised to see lances, which were as general rule of thumb left on trucks.

Eктωρ said:
Looks like something straight out of jacob's mind. :lol:

What's insane is that it's almost identical to a model I made for a steppe faction. The only major difference isthat my model doesn't have nails and the metal panels are straighter.

Eктωρ said:
What's with Africans and the funky blades?

It's the only projectile blade that works. If thrown properly, a blade hits the target whichever angle it's at on contact, sometimes "climbing over" a shield to hit the dude from above. It also makes a mean mace/sword. Such was its success that there are versions along the west coastand into the African interior for centuries.

West-central African warfare is a lot like North Indian warfare of the same period. Multi-terrain, often small scale, with a ton of weird weapons don't make any sense outside that context. The funkiest, least intuitive blades in human history are from those regions.

1280px-A_selection_of_African_throwing_knives_in_room_25_of_the_British_museum.JPG

That cavalryman with the throwing knife is the funkiest thing ever though.

Back
Top Bottom